It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #1

Teach2003 HB User
Exclamation Night Sweats Anyone?

Hi everyone...
Just a question...along with many other "thyroid" related symptoms I posted here about 3 weeks ago...now I have been having night sweats as well. They began about 3 nights ago and I have had them for 3 nights straight. I'm 30 years old, with no children, so I'm hoping it's not early menopause....is this a common symptom? Please help....I'm concerned.
Thank you and Happy Weekend.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
(female)

am3 HB User
Re: Night Sweats Anyone?

Night sweats were one of the many symptoms I had before and after I was diagnosed with Graves. After a while I started having sweats all the time... I am 31 without children either so, I wouldn't think that it is early menopause.
I hope you find some relief to your trying evenings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
(male)

turt_the_turtle HB User

Ya....I got them....Id wake up in a puddle of sweat! LOL.....I think most of them were brought on by nightmears that I had before I was diagnosed. I had bad anxiety before I knew what was wrong with me. The dreams would be work related,,,,like I could not catch up with anything I was doing. It sucked! I still get alittle anxious and naushous (I cant spell) but Im only 2 weeks into my levothyroxine (generic Sandoz). Maybe I need more time to let the drugs take there corse and maybe after my follow up blood check Ill need a raise to feel better. As for the sweats again...sometimes I would wake in the night and have to get some paper towels to dry off.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach2003
Hi everyone...
Just a question...along with many other "thyroid" related symptoms I posted here about 3 weeks ago...now I have been having night sweats as well. They began about 3 nights ago and I have had them for 3 nights straight. I'm 30 years old, with no children, so I'm hoping it's not early menopause....is this a common symptom? Please help....I'm concerned.
Thank you and Happy Weekend.
You sound just like me. I just started having the night sweats a couple of weeks ago. I've been on synthroid since August. I thought the same thing as you. I am 33 and no kids. It crossed my mind that I am going through early menopause as well. Since you are having the same symptoms as me I would assume it's thyroid related. I go the the OBGYN next month. I was going to ask her about that.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #5

Teach2003 HB User

Here are my other symptoms only now, add night sweats into the equation! I am feeling better as far as the anxiety/nervousness is concerned, and I haven't had a dizzy spell in days (let me not jinx myself)....however the pressure and pain in my chest is killing me. I've had it for 2 days now, so I know I'm not having having a heart attack (atleast I don't think so). Do any of you experience chest pain as well?
Here are my other symptoms.
extreme fatigue/ always tired (simply cleaning up my house gets me tired and out of breath), shortness of breath (I feel like I have to take frequent deep breaths in order to fill up my lungs), frequent headaches (getting worse), dizzy spells, panic/anxiety attacks, rapid heartrate, palpitations, feeling like I'm going to pass out, one day I'm constipated another I'm running to the bathroom, I am always freezing even if it's 100 degrees outside, my skin is dry, my hair is dry, nervousness, recently I have developed a pressure/pain in the area where a man's adam's apple would be, sinus problems. I am 5'2'' and weigh 108 pounds. My periods are very heavy and painful and are usually 5-7 days late every cycle. I can sleep 9 hours and still wake up like I've only slept 2. I'm in bed by 8pm becuase I'm so exhausted.
I had blood work done and everything came back within range. My thyroid came back normal; however, my doctor prescribed me 50 mcg (0.05mg) of Synthroid. I'm scared to take it! Would you take medicine even if your thyroid test came back normal? I heard this is the smallest dose given. Thank you all for you support and responses )

Old 02-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach2003
Here are my other symptoms only now, add night sweats into the equation! I am feeling better as far as the anxiety/nervousness is concerned, and I haven't had a dizzy spell in days (let me not jinx myself)....however the pressure and pain in my chest is killing me. I've had it for 2 days now, so I know I'm not having having a heart attack (atleast I don't think so). Do any of you experience chest pain as well?
Here are my other symptoms.
extreme fatigue/ always tired (simply cleaning up my house gets me tired and out of breath), shortness of breath (I feel like I have to take frequent deep breaths in order to fill up my lungs), frequent headaches (getting worse), dizzy spells, panic/anxiety attacks, rapid heartrate, palpitations, feeling like I'm going to pass out, one day I'm constipated another I'm running to the bathroom, I am always freezing even if it's 100 degrees outside, my skin is dry, my hair is dry, nervousness, recently I have developed a pressure/pain in the area where a man's adam's apple would be, sinus problems. I am 5'2'' and weigh 108 pounds. My periods are very heavy and painful and are usually 5-7 days late every cycle. I can sleep 9 hours and still wake up like I've only slept 2. I'm in bed by 8pm becuase I'm so exhausted.
I had blood work done and everything came back within range. My thyroid came back normal; however, my doctor prescribed me 50 mcg (0.05mg) of Synthroid. I'm scared to take it! Would you take medicine even if your thyroid test came back normal? I heard this is the smallest dose given. Thank you all for you support and responses )

You sound so much like me. I am almost sure the pain in the chest is related to the Anxiety. Even after the anxiety attacks quit I still had the pain in my chest for awhile. The one thing I cannot seem to get rid of is the need for sleep. I can sleep forever. I encourage you to take the pills. You will be amazed at how well you feel. "Normal" is an operative word when talking about the ranges. It is totally different for everyone. If you have all these symptoms and the tests show you are within "normal" range, and your doc still perscribed you something, I believe he/she feels that they may help you as well. Good for me is .64. I went hyper for awhile at .19. Some people have told me that for them .19 would not make them hyper. I definately was hyper. Shakey, sweaty, trembly hands etc.

Please take the pills. You will feel better in a couple of weeks and be glad you started them. I am not a "pill popper". I get a headache and I live it out. But this is one pill I will never not take.

Hope you feel better soon. Let me know what you decide about the pills and how you are doing.

Stacia

Old 02-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #7

Teach2003 HB User

Thank you all so much for taking time out to reply to me.
Stacia, what dosage of Synthoid were you given? Where your lab tests within normal range, or did it show out of range? I assume from your post that you are Hypo? As for the chest pains...they are truly killing me! It's this pressure and pain that is sooo annoying. At the same time, I am getting that pain/pressure in my throat as well...not like I can't swallow or squeezing pain, but as if something is swollen in there. I try to feel around, but can't feel anything. The pain is actually between where a man's adam's apple is and where the base of my throat is....pain, pain, pain...have you experienced this? Has anyone else experienced this type of pain? I just moved up my doctor's appointment from 3/21 to 3/3 because I feel so bad. It's the soonest I can get. Miami is a very crowded city so doctor's are ALWAYS booked. This is not living to me...when I'm in pain and miserable every other day. I am not enjoying life to it's fullest.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
(female)

I was diagnosed off of TSH only. My TSH was 393. I originally went to the doc because I was having anxiety attacks out of the blue. They put me on Zoloft. Two weeks into the meds I was still having that incrediable chest pain you speak of. I went into ER one morning just to make sure that it was in fact anxiety and not something else. At the ER they tested my thyroid and that is how I found out.

The original dose I was put on was 200mcg of synthroid. A GP put me on that. WAY TOO MUCH! Two weeks into that I went to the endo and he lowered me to 125mcg's. I am small like you and he couldn't believe that doctor had put me on such a high dose. I am now on 100mcg. This dose seems to be good for me.

I haven't had the pain in my throat at all. But from things I have read that is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

You didn't say ... did you decide to take the pills? I hope you do. It may make all this go away for you. The dose he started you on is a good dose to start.

Take care of yourself, cuz if you don't, no one will.

Stacia

Old 02-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #9

Teach2003 HB User

Hi Stacia...
I'm scared to take the Synthroid. I know it's a low dose; however, since I don't know what the heck I am (Hypo or Hyper), I'm scared to throw my body out of whack. What if I'm Hyper, and taking Synthroid makes it worse. I'm so confused and so about to go nuts. There are days that I just want to go to the ER for them to run tests on me and make me feel better. I don't think my body can wait til March 3rd which is my doctor's appointment. I'm going to see Duran Duran in concert on Friday (it's my Valentine's Day present) and I'm praying to the Lord above that I feel better...I'm so sad and so desperate at this point. Oops..just had a palpitation (cough cough)!

Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
(female)

I can't remember what you said your TSH was at. Did you say it was 3 something? On my labs the normal range is .34 to 2.5. If your a 3 something you are going hypo. I felt hyper symptoms when I was overmedicated and went to .19.

Refresh my memory on the test results.

Have a blast at the concert. Sounds like fun. I get to go to an RV show. BORING! I told my husband we are going to be the youngest ones there surrounded by our grandparents. HE HE.

I so hope you feel better soon. Let me know the results. If your higher on the range you are on the hypo end.

Take care.

Stacia

Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #11

Teach2003 HB User
Exclamation Re: Night Sweats Anyone?

Here are my most recent numbers (August 2004)...I feel even worse now than when I did back in August:
T3 Total: 150
T-4 Total: 8.7
TSH: 1.48

Old 02-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #12
(female)

Do you have the ranges for those tests?

Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #13

Teach2003 HB User
Exclamation Re: Night Sweats Anyone?

yes...
T3 Range is 60-181
T4 Range is 4.5-12.5
TSH Range is 0.40-5.50

Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #14
(female)

I have to admit I'm just as confused as you are. I can now understand why you are leary about taking the meds. Maybe you should see a different doc and get their perspective on things. I am actually quite surprised that the doc perscribed you something. So many people have to beg for the meds.

Keep me posted on what you are going to do.

Thinking about you.

Stacia

Old 02-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #15

Teach2003 HB User

Do my results look normal to you? Can I possibly have a thyroid problem with lab work looking so normal? Chest pains are gone today, just having a lot of palpitations today..having to cough a lot to aliviate the fluttering. Also, today I'm just plain exhausted! So so so so so tired, and the pain in my throat is killing me.

Closed Thread