It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

tlsims HB User
meds HELP!!!!

i have been dx with thyroid tumor as you may know. well my doc asked if anyone in my family has thyroid problems and i told him i thought my mom took some kinda thyroid pill. he asked me why and i did not know so he said find out.

i called my mom she says she does not know why she takes it. she went to doc 8 or 9 years ago complaining of being tired and he gave her snytha somthing 100mcgs. she did not have blood work done nor has she ever had any in the last 8 or 9 years.

ok is this nuts or what?

is this normal for docs to do?

is this a high dose ?
ts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: meds HELP!!!!

She is likely hypothyroid and taking 100 micrograms of Synthroid. It isn't a high dose, but is within the average range.

"Normal" for doctors to do? Well, you can't call it "normal". But it is pretty common for them to just give the pill and not to explain anything else unless the patient asks for an explanation. If your mom feels pretty well at that dose, and didn't ever complain about her symptoms after that, her MD probably feels no need for further tests.
Many members of the older generation prefer their doctors to do all the work. If all goes well, everybody's happy. But anyone who isn't getting 100% well on a certain treatment plan should start asking many hard questions, researching on their own if necessary. An informed thyroid patient nearly always will do better and feel healthier when they know what they're dealing with.

Good luck to you in your treatment, ts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #3

Eeyore22 HB User

Sounds like it could be Synthroid - it does come in a 100 mcg strength. It is used to treat hypothyroidism.

Yes, it is very strange that she has not had bloodwork in the past 8 or 9 years - or has she and not known what it was for? How does she feel?!?

It is not normal for doctors to prescribe thyroid replacement and not have baseline bloodwork and continue to monitor the lab values every 6 - 8 weeks until a therapeutic level of medication is reached and then every 6 months or so thereafter. 100 mcg isn't an extremely high dose but usually they start with 50 and work up from there based on the lab values.

Maybe her doctor is older and not up on the latest. I think there was a time - way back - when people could have thyroid medication prescribed so they could lose weight. Hey, just look at all those 50's housewives on Valium!

It's funny (not really) how many people on this site have bloodwork that indicates thyroid replacement medication and the doctors won't give it to them and your Mom is on it without any bloodwork at all! The joys of modern (?) medicine...

Good luck with this - sounds like Mom needs a new doctor!

Carol

Old 02-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

tlsims HB User

this is what kinda freaked me out cause she is not well
she is a mental mess, she shakes constantly and has anxiety from #$ll.
she also soffers from OCD. i am wondering now if her problem is from being from this med making her hyper since she has never had blood work done. i asked to have it checked.

yhea it is totally crazy some people fight tooth and nail to get the meds they need and others just walk in and get it just by saying there tired, no blood work or follow up.
ts

Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh well, if that's the case, please encourage her to find a good doctor who will do the free hormone tests to see what's what. Her symptoms could well be from undertreated hypoT... Not to say they definitely are, but it's quite possible. It isn't impossible that she's overmedicated, either, but she's far more likely undertreated.

I think extremely few people get thyroid meds easily. This board wouldn't be hopping busy as it is with people seeking treatment they obviously need and can't get.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-07-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Closed Thread