It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User
Canker sores

I have suffered from these on and off for most of my life. Since last Fall, as my hypo symptoms worsened, I had increasing episodes of very painful canker sores. These are the sores that are inside your mouth (vs. cold sores -- on the outside). I once read they may be caused by an autoimmune condition. Has anyone ever heard of a connection between canker sores and hypoT?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
(male)

theman2000 HB User
Re: Canker sores

I have canker sores from time to time in my mouth. I even had one in my throat. The pain can bring you to your knees. I just had thyroid surgery and I think a canker sore is more painful.

I also have heard it is an autoimmune thing. If anything, I am hyper not hypo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

smileyk HB User

ok...just looked it up. (I have Graves')...have long history of canker sores (as does my mother...who is hypo)...Yes...there is a theory that canker sores are a result of problems with immune system (autoimmune). The articles I read also said very hereditary and also listed nutritional deficiencies, stress and allergies as possible causes...in other words..I don't think the "experts" know for sure. That's interesting though...I wonder how many other folks on here also get canker sores?

Old 02-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

skewch HB User

In September 04, I quit smoking, and was on this gotta eat to replace my smokes, so I was eating chocolate balls...and I noticed that every time I had lots of them I got canker sores in my mouth. (A wonderful remedy is a little tube called Zilactin. Coats the sore and helps to heal..usually in a day or two.) I also would get inflamed/infected tastebuds...did you all know tastebuds have a lifespan of only 10 days??) I have since started smoking again (I know BAD me) but I have gone through so much stress that 4 months of no smoking was about to drive me nutso. I also find it wierd that all of a sudden when i quit smoking that my thyroid freaks out?!?!? Anyways, I think there is a correlation between allergies and cankers... just my 2 cents!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I have had canker sores since I was little and all three of my kids get them too. We get them if we are brushing our teeth and our tooth brush rubs our cheek and it makes a small cut, it eventually turns into a canker sore. Also if we eat to much of an acidic food, such as oranges, or spahetti sauce. Yes they do hurt reallly bad and I hate seeing my children go through them.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

smileyk HB User

Skewch...I find it very interesting that you said you quit smoking and your thyroid freaked out! ME TOO!! Quit in November...started feeling really crappy toward the end of Dec. and beginning of Jan it got bad (Graves)...wonder if there's any correlation...I haven't started again (it's hard!!) but I also fell down the steps in November and hurt my back and hit my head (had a seizure...which I've never had before or since!!!)....so all these stressful events I guess could have triggered the thyroid problem (??)

Old 02-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Canker getters:

Certainly I think there have been some good insights here. Heredity and such. I also wanted to know more about this canker thing since I had my thyroid ripped out and seemed innundated by them.

Here's what I found one theory espousing. Folks who are HYPO...who get that refulx thing going on with their bad digestion are more prone to cankers. Apparently the thinking is that the acid from the GERD stays in the oral cavity longer....leaving one more prone to cankers.

My theory...that dovetails into this, is that when your hypo, your tounge is really fat and slow so you can't manover the food around your mouth like normal. That leads to bites on the insides of the cheeks and tounge.

So...I think it could have a few factors going on all at once. I can say now that I'm a lot less severely hypo that I once was...I have less cankers.

~S

PS: YES! Zilactin is cool stuff!

Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

skewch HB User

SmileyK,

I too was a clutz in the worst form! I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle and only after that healed, I stubbed my toes on a metal chair leg and dr. thought I broke a bone on the top of my foot but nothing on xray. I just started feeling like my toes aren't going to fall off. I have been wanting to take the kids skating but can't put foot in a skate with broken toes (so they felt!!). Now it's too darn cold to go out to skate and the indoor rinks are limited for public skating and my surgery is in 8 days so I won't be doing much till first week in March.....

I also got into a fender bender and then 3 weeks later, I backed into my husband's truck in the driveway.....I really thought that quitting smoking was sposed to be good for me?!?!? It really made me out of whack and I'm still really absent-minded all the time and on the weekend, I noticed one of the symptoms I'd never really had before--forgetting words...on the tip of your tongue....snowblower...I just couldn't find the word!!! I hope when I get my surgery (subtotal thyroidectomy) that things will improve....I can't be this stupid forever, I have kids to raise!! LOL

Old 02-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
(female)

smileyk HB User

skewch...you are hilarious!! Thanks for making me laugh!! I know what you mean about taking care of the kids....I have two and I am a single parent. I have really felt like a loser mom lately...not feeling like doing anything. That just gets me more depressed. I live in one of those states that-if you have a seizure-no matter what the cause-you can't drive for 3 months!!! My 3 months are up tomorrow....have my appt. with the neurologist. I thought things were bad not being able to drive (thank God for my friends and family helping out), but when I got all the symptoms of Graves...that was the worst. I'm also very thankful for this board. Do you mind if I ask...why are you having the surgery? I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
(female)

skewch HB User

Smiley,

I am having the surgery because of multinodular goiter (first problem). Nodules got really big and causing problems swallowing. Got chest pains from it so I went to the doctor. Got blood tests, TSH high, others were ok...got antibodies test WOWSERS high and my thyroid has grown so much and the swelling is so bad that they are gonna take most of it out...surgeon called me the other day and said he's gonna leave two small pieces in where my parathyroids are, but on my hospital admissions paper, it also says partial parathyroidectomy, so I'll ask him on surgery day if he's taking 2 out and leaving 2 or what he's doing. My dr. thinks I have graves even though I have mostly hashi's symtoms....very confusing...at any rate, i can't wait to get this sucker out so I can eat bread without having to drink a litre of water with each swallow!!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
(female)

smileyk HB User

Hey..thanks for the info.....I will be thinking and praying for you with the whole surgery thing...you said 8 days from now? Maybe I'm crazy, but sometimes I think maybe I should opt for surgery over the other treatments available (you know..the antithyroids or RAI)...I don't like any of my options!!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #12
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Thank you for all your insights here. I feel my cankers are definitely connected to my thyroid and to stress. I was fascinated by the idea they too may be autoimmune problems. Hmm. I use zilactin; it does help the pain. However, it does NOT reduce the duration for me. My outbreaks usually last about two weeks. Last time I had two of them, and they grew together. OMG! That was the worst pain! Gave me an ugly, fat lip to deal with too.

For those who get them from brushing your teeth, I have heard there is an ingredient in most toothpaste that can cause canker sores for those susceptible to them. Lauryl sulfate maybe???? There are some toothpastes offered on the internet that do not have this ingredient, which are supposed to help. Google canker sores.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #13
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush
PS: YES! Zilactin is cool stuff!

If it was not for Zilactin I would not be able to talk for days due to the pain. All the other stuff that they sell does not compare to Zilactan. That stuff is the mother of all canker medication.

My favorate location is when I get one under the tounge.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Just one more geeky peice of info. If you happen to be taking accutane for acne, cankers heal WAY slower than they normally would.

Closed Thread