It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

juner50 HB User
These Boards should be required reading/Med Students

In a perfect world practicing Drs. would read these messages also.
Why is Thyroid treatment still in the "DARK AGES" with so many Docs???
Just venting over my lost years.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: These Boards should be required reading/Med Students

Amen to that!!
You're entitled to vent. I think we all are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
(male)

theman2000 HB User

I have wondered if docs read any of this stuff to. They would probably be scared to see how educated patients can be.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

BonBe HB User

This may be way off base. Last night I watched a show on TV called Medical Miracles (rerun) showed amazing recovers surgeries to help people. One was about a man who at a young age was 'almost 'garratted' by a steel cable some moron strung across a pathway to stop young kids from using 'his private pathway - to where ever it led to" the young man in question was buzzing away to attend his monthly volunteer fire brigade practice) (he was riding one of those mini motocross bikes to attend the meeting)

For 20 years he has no voice box His larynx was destroyed. He used a robotic sound box to speak all these 20 years. Finally the way and means were made available through the research of a dedicated doctor to use a doner voice box, vocal chords and all and that surgery was performed and after many months (or a year) of practice the man now speaks clearly and can even sing....

What struck me most about this, was The medical team also transplanted the doners thyroid and parathyroid as those two glands were also destroyed so many years ago. .

It does sort of make you wonder, if people here who have lost their thyroid through cancer makes me wonder ...............what if..................? They made no mention of any problems resulted from the Thyroid transplant (I am assuming it all functions well now)

Bonnie

Last edited by BonBe; 02-08-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I know that I for one am sick and tired of trying to educate my PCP about thyroid disease. He only listens with half a ear anyway. He is also so afraid to agree with me because of the "Old boy's club" of other PCP's we have in this small city. A PCP friend of his who also used to be my PCP screwed up big time when she lowered my synthroid and then did not follow up. As a thyroid cancer patient my TSH needed to be below.1 and it was 2.6. She actually lowered the dose then when I started having hypo problems and a reoccurance of my cancer a year later she told me that I was a hypochondriac. I went to a Rheumy for symptoms of severe Fibromyalgia and was told it was Hypothyroidism. When I told my new PCP (fired the first one for calling me hypochondriac) He refused to admit that my TSH was too high and that the dose should have been raised not lowered. Either he was improperly educated about thyroid cancer or he is covering up for her (they are friends) So here I sit with probable reoccurance of thyroid cancer and a PCP who swears he did not know either that TSH had to be almost totally supressed either. He finally did however send me to a endo (thank GOD) In the meantime I have lost a year of my life and been scared to death not to mention the funny looks I got when I told people I had Fibromyalgia. Before this is over I may end up in surgery AGAIN. Having more cancer taken out of my body. So I am with all of you in wishing that this board was required reading for medical students. Whew glad to get that off my chest.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

What an interesting story, Bonnie.
I'd like to know if the thyroid/paraT transplant worked, too. The decision to do it was probably a matter of "Well, we have the cadaver glands, and we'll be in the throat anyway, so what the heck let's do it". My guess is that even if it works, it'll never become a routine operation because MDs think supplemental hormone easily fixes the hypo that results from the absence of a gland. How wrong-o they are!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

Well Midwest it was an american show and he is a well known ? surgeon. Amazing Medical Stories on TLC at 8:00 pm. EST it was really interesting, as they made no mention of it (transplant glands) not working and it ended with the man doing just ***** dory, and even sang a song (They had to keep the trach hole in his throat, meaning he still has to cover it to speak.... There would be no reason to keep a non functioning thyroid and ParaT gland in there if it was not functioning.

Imagine the possiblity of thyroid gland removal due to cancer and having a doner put in keep you in balance.

HMMMM

I was Impressed and not too much lately impresses me in the medical field.

Bonnie

Closed Thread