It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Question Still Having Symptoms - I Think - Or Are They Not ???

Hi all. Reading this board has really be a great source of information to me. I've learned more here than from my doc.

My question is this. I wake up in the middle of the night with the night sweats. Saturday night was really bad. My hair on the back of my neck was drenched. (I don't sleep with any pj's on so that's not it. ) Some days I feel dizzy and have nausea. I get headaches more frequently than before. I've never really been a headache person. I get hot flashes sometimes. I'll be home on the weekend in the kitchen doing something and all of a sudden I start to sweat. Remove some clothing and then I'm freezing. My periods only last two days. (No complaints there but just kinda strange.) I'm 33 so part of me was wondering if I am going through pre-menopause or if this is all thyroid related.

Any advise on all this? When I was diagnosed my TSH was 393 and I didn't even know I felt so crappy until I felt better.

I really feel pretty good all around except for these things that come and go. Is this normal for Hypothyroidism/Hashi's? If so, are these symptoms we just have to get used to for the rest of our lives or should these be going away with the right amount of medication? I'm on 100mcg of Synthroid. Also ... I never had the weight gain that most people have with hypoT. When I was put on the meds I actually lost a ton of weight. I bought a scale to monitor it as it was making me a bit nervous. I seem stable now but the strange thing is today I can be 117lbs and tomorrow I will be 120lbs. That's weighing myself the same time every day before I get in the shower with no clothes on.

Thanks for any input. I don't go back till the doc now till June. Should I wait that long or go in sooner? I feel kinda dumb asking to go in sooner as I do feel pretty good except for the occaional symptoms I get above.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Stacia

Almost forgot ... I can sleep FOREVER!! I'll go to bed at 10:00, wake up around 8ish and struggle to get out of bed before 10am.

Last edited by Stacia; 02-07-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Still Having Symptoms - I Think

I'de say it was time for a new round of blood tests to know for sure. Hashi's is VERY difficult to med and diagnose cause everytime you give blood, the results are different. For instance, in the same week, my TSH was 16 and 5.5. If my doc gave me enough synthroid to treat my TSH of 16, when it turned 5.5 2 days later, I would be hyper right now, so I am not on any meds whatsoever.

Hashi's is just a major pain in the butt and I think sometimes the only way to control it properly is to destroy the thyroid and use meds to get a consistent flow of meds into your system. So, yes, when your antibodies flare up you can experience new symptoms and yes, you might very well have turned a little hyper once your thyroid kick in working properly for a few days again. This is what happens to me all the time. My thyroid works and I feel great and then craps out and I feel crummy. Sometimes its hyper and sometimes its hypo.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Night sweats and hot flashes sound related to estrogen -- ie, possibly premenopause. You can order saliva tests for hormones over the internet, or ask your ob-gyn to test.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I think it would be smart to make an appointment with your PCP regarding your night sweats. That is not a typical hypo symptom - it is more common with hyper (however, when sweating w/ hyper it's not normally confined to just night-time). While you are there, you can ask to have your thyroid checked again.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

Ok, I have a question ... If I have hashi's would I have the night sweats with that? And would I get hot flashes every now and again? The hot flashes arn't all day long. I do go to my OBGYN next month and I have a load of questions for her.

Thanks for the replies. I so appreciate it.

Stacia

Excuse my ignorance but what is PCP???

Last edited by Stacia; 02-08-2005 at 10:47 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

PCP is Primary Care Physician / Family Doc. It's an insurance term, really.

I think these are all great questions for your OBGYN. Because so many women experience thyroid imbalances w/ pregnancy, OBGYN's are normally quiet knowledgable about thyroid problems.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Staci-
I would definitely get tested to see if you are in menopause along with getting your thyroid checked.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
(female)

Maryee HB User

Hi there

I had and still do have hot flashes, not just on my face but hands, ankles, knees, back - ok, just about everywhere and I am diagnosed Hashi's hypo (just diagnosed thanks to the appearance of a goiter). One bit of me can be freezing whilst at the same time, another bit feels as if it is on a barbeque! One minute I'm cold and in the next, I can feel the burn starting. I used to have the heat problems quite badly, although these days (some 10 years on) the hot flashes have toned down. I too only have my period for about 2 days and it passes almost unnoticed. I was tested to check for menopause when it all started up (I was 29) but my then Dr said that everything came back as normal (including my thyroid but they didn't test for antibodies at the time!).

I've had similar symptoms to yours, including the night sweats, so if you find out that it is anything else other than a thyroid problem, I would be so grateful to know.

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
(female)

Yes I will definately let you know what I find out. I am going to ask my GYNO to check for early menopause. I kinda think it's related to Hashi's myself. The more I read on these boards the more I think that, but I need to know. I am 33 with no kids. I'm just getting to the point in my life where I think I may want them. (Go figure.) Oh well, whatever it is it will be fine. If it's the Hashi's I will just have to live with it and if it's premenopause I will live with that too. I am sooooo bummed though, I can't get in till March 21st. I have so many questions for her.

Oh ... I have never had my antibodies tested. Should I? I was diagnosed based on TSH. It was a pretty easy diagnosis considering it was 393. Part of me thinks I shouldn't bother because I have gotten my TSH to where I feel pretty good (except for the occasional hot flashes etc.).

One more note on the hot flashes ... I only seem to get them in my face and upper part of my body. My husband can't hardly believe it because I used to be so cold all the time.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Stacia

Last edited by Stacia; 02-08-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #10
(female)

Maryee HB User

Stacia

I would definitely ask for the antibody test as well. I would have been diagnosed a long time ago if I had been tested properly (didn't have any knowledge back then!). Because of my symptoms, my Dr checked for Graves and Hashi antibodies.

Hope that you get on okay and lots of luck.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Your regular family doc. Sorry can't answer the other questions, but I have night sweats any time my meds get raised or lowered. It gos away after a couple of weeks though so this does not sound like your problem. You don't have any underlying infections like sinus, teeth ect.... This will give some of us night sweats while we don't even have a fever.

Closed Thread