It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #1

melissall HB User
antibodies??

hi!
i've had a throid nodule (multinodular goiter) since having my 2nd child 7 years ago.
my levels have always been normal and i've been on .25 to .50 synthroid or levoxl.
i've always been tired but within the past 4 months i'm exausted all of the time (along w/ other symptoms).
i finally got around to getting to a new dr that i knew prescribes cytomel.
i've never had my antibodies tested and had to insist that she tested for them.
here are the results:

free t4 .83 range:.73-1.95
tsh 1.0 range:.3-5.1
free t3 2.8 range: 2.3-4.2
throid peroxidase ab <10 range: <35
throglobulin ab 80.8 range:<40
i just started on .5 cytomel and .50 levoyl yesterday.
it's strange but i already feel a little better.
i had the best sleep i've had in years and didn't wake up more exausted than when i went to bed.
i usually have a hard time keeping my eyes open all day so i'll let you all know if it makes a difference.
my other symtoms are: dry hair, dry peeling nails, water retention, dry skin, and recent stomache pains (and more but i'll stop there).
thank you all so much for the great info.
i wouldn't have known to get the antibodies checked or about the cytomel (even though my husband's company makes it) if it weren't for you all!

melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User
Re: antibodies??

I am not an expert, but your frees seem awfully low. Possibly a dose increase might be in order -- in addition to adding in cytomel??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Melissa,
You're being undertreated and need a higher dose. That's why you feel so bad.
Your free T4 and free T3 are both too low. Your doctor has probably dosed you based solely on your TSH, and that isn't the way it's properly done.

At this point, the antibodies really aren't too significant. They only indicate the cause of your hypothyroidism. They don't make any difference in the treatment.

Hope the new doctor knows more than the other one did.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-08-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #4

melissall HB User

she's (the dr/ do) is going to retest the levels in 8 weeks.
i have an appt. with an endo in april that took 3 months to get.
the drug rep that works w/ my husband says he's very good so i'm hoping.
i just couldn't wait until then because i was so tired.
i have loads of pills but i don't want to take extra and mess up the blood work for next time.
maybe i'll call the dr next week and ask for a slight increase.
she seems reasonable but sounded confused when i asked her if they treat by your tsh levels.
she said they used to treat by the free levels and now they treat the tsh levels.
i left there thinking she just said it backwards~hopefully.
thank you guys!

Old 02-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

lnocera HB User

Hi Melissa,

I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter too. What were your levels before being diagnosed. Mine were all in the "normal" range. I get confused with this. I'm on Synthroid as well. I'm interested in hearing how you were diagnosed, etc. Hopefully your story will help me understand my treatment, etc.

Thanks,

Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #6

melissall HB User

hi!
up until recently my levels were all pretty normal.
it's just this last test that looks like i'm finally getting hypo on paper.
two years ago my tsh was 1.0 and free t was 1.4.
in july my tsh was .78 and free t4 was 1.0 so they seem to be getting lower and lower.

in 1997 i noticed a lump in my neck when my son was 4 months old.
the ear nose throat doctor would have gladly removed my throid (NO THANKS).
he had me very nervous and i think just liked to do surgeries a little too much.
he told me his last three patients all had thyroid cancer that came in with goiters.

i had a biopsy done because i was breastfeeding and did not want the iodine test.
you can't breastfeed after having that done.
that came out negative and i also had an ultrasound done.

since i didn't want it removed they put me on .25 synthroid to try to shrink it.
it always stayed the same and i was always tired and dry hair and skin but normal levels.
i couldn't get pregnant w/ #3 until the dose was raised to .50.
got pregnant the following month.

i've had no change in 7 years except for the time i accidentally got .100 levoxyl (pharmacy error). i noticed my neck was much smaller and then noticed the pill color was wrong.
i was breastfeeding a baby so dr did not want to switch me to that dose w/ out bloodwork first.
the doctors that i've gone to never want to up the dose. i think because the levels have always been pretty normal.

we moved from ga. to texas in aug. i also have 4 children so at first i was just thinking i was just exausted from all of the stress and moving but recently i sit in the bathtub and cry thinking maybe i'm depressed and don't know it.
i can hardly keep my eyes open all day, i've gained 15 pounds in 6 months and i'm always retaining water.
my family is always yelling "lets all go to the gym" and i feel like such a lazy slob for having no energy.
i doubled my dose for two weeks last month and i felt so full of energy.
i stopped though because i didn't want the labs messed up.
never did feel any hypo symtoms though.

i was so happy about the antibodies and the almost hypo levels because even w/ the multinodular goiter i still feel like a lazy hypochondriac (sp?).
it's so nice to have a real reason to feel like this.
i was actually crying telling my husband.

i was also put on zoloft right before my nodule was found because i told the doctor i had severe pms orpostpartum something.
i'm so mad now that they didn't think to check my thyroid since i had just had a baby a few months earlier.

i also had one more needle biopsy 3 years ago and that was fine.
i guess if you had thyroid cancer you would have symtoms with 7 years right?
since the biopsy is not 100%.

i've been to 7 doctors and have had to tell each of them what to do to get anywhere.
i've learned that from you all~thank you!

sorry for the boring long story.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
(female)

skewch HB User

I've got multinodular goiter and have had it for several years. They put me on eltroxin to try to shrink it, but I stopped taking it shortly afterwards because my thyroid was hurting, which I didn't think it should. I am having my surgery for subtotal thyroidectomy next week because the nodules have now grown substantially in the front and has grown to the sides of my neck...I never had any thyroid levels being abnormal up until this december. The doctors now say that taking medications to shrink thyroids (there was some kind of study I guess) doesn't work and that they don't prescribe meds for goiters anymore...at least where I go!!

Good luck with your future dr. appt!

Closed Thread