It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Test Results- Please I need some input!

Hi,

Well I just got back my test results:

Old test: 12/29/04

TSH 1.45 (0.40 - 5.50)
Free T3 279 (230 - 420)
Free T4 1.0 (0.8 - 1.8

New Tests: 02/3/05

They did not *** the TSH

Free T3 269 (230 - 420)
Free T4 0.9 (0.8 - 1.8)

I am currently on 1 grain Armour, my doc. increased Armour to 1 1/2 grains, what do you think? Should I increase to 1 1/4 grain for a week and then increase to the full amount of 1 1/2 grain???

I happen to have a 2nd opinion with another doc. next week (he was on a top doc list). I am so suprised that I needed this much Armour.

Thanks
Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Test Results- Please I need some input!

How are you feeling? Do you still have symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

An increase was definitely in order, your numbers haven't changed much but to come down a little.

How did you react to the first increases? Do you think you could do 1/2 a grain as an increase? I know I had no problems with it, but some people find it easier going up 1/4 at a time.

Last edited by Gopherhead; 02-08-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

nimbeth HB User

As far symptoms go, I did feel good for about 2 weeks during the last increase, but than I crashed feeling tired, temp went down again, never feeling rested after sleeping more than 8 hrs at night.

I started Armour in Oct. 04, at a 1/4 for a month, when I took my very first dose, i felt the rush (assuming it was the T3 in it). But there after, never had a problem. with my increases which were monthly. I will probably increase to 1 1/4 grain for a few days then to my full dose 1 1/2 grain. I do have an SVT (diagnosed about 2 yrs ago), but I think its from not being optimally treated, what do think? Its a long story- I was on synthroid .025 mg about 3 yrs. ago. (I am in the process of getting my labs from the hospital to what exactly my numbers were, and why they put me on synthroid to begin with).

Its amazing to me at how much doctors dont know, especially endos about thyroid and what the TSH doesnt tell you.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

I have one more question-

Given that they did not run a TSH on me this time, should I have it taken now? or it really wont make a difference because as in my first post, my levels went down. Would this be a correct statement?

Thanks for all your support!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I'd say either they 'forgot' to run one, or you've got a dr who knows that once you start treating TSH becomes meaningless. I wouldnt sweat it.

Nat

Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Gopher- thanks for your help!

One more question- Do you think that given my latest labs, and the fact that they have gone down that maybe Armour is not the best med givent the T3 in it. Do you think that I would do better on a combination of drugs???

Thanks

Old 02-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

No, not really, Beth.

They best way I've seen it described was this: when you initally go on the exogenous hormones your own thyroid is producing a certain amount of T4 and T3, but it's not enough (as evidenced by a usually elevated TSH). Say your own thryoid was making the equivalent of 1 grain of Armour. You start taking 1 grain exogenously, which added to the 1 grain of endogenous, is an increase to 2 grains of circulating hormones. You feel better. Your hypothalamust registers the increased circulating hormones and tells the pituitary to tell the thyroid to make less, by reducing the amount of TSH. So your own thyroid goes from making 1 grain to say, 1/2 a grain. You now have 1 1/2 grains of circulating hormones, and you feel a little less good. You then increase to 1 1/2 grains of enxogenous hormones, your thyroid downregulates again to 1/4 grain, for a total of 1 3/4. This goes on until you get to that dose where everything is optimal - you're just not there yet.

The thing to watch out for with Armour (and any natural desiccated thyroid) is your FT4, which is often driven down by the amount of T3 in the Armour. In your case both your FT3 and FT4 have gone down a little, had only the FT4 been lower then you'd probably want to look at adding in some extra T4 in the form of a synthetic, like levoxyl, eltroxin or synthroid.

HTH
Nat

Old 02-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Gopher-

Thank you so much! You described it the whole thing perfectly- it makes sense to me.

Beth

Old 02-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

You're welcome, Beth

Closed Thread