It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

southwest1975 HB User
Its cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I got my results and it's cancer. I guess I'm the 5% chance......1 nodule positive for papillary carcinoma and another one suggestive follicular neoplasm. The 2 other ones are benign. I will meet my surgeon on Feb 16th and soon after have the entire thyroid taken out and about 3 weeks later Radioactive iodine treatment. Today is very surreal and its all beginning to sink in. I look forward to hearing from anyone elses experience.. Thats all for now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Re: Its cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southwest-sorry to hear that it's cancer. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I also want to say sorry about the news. Hope your surgery goes well. Keep a positive attitude. Your in my prayers.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

I am so sorry!!
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
(male)

theman2000 HB User

I sorry to hear it was bad.

Don't worry about the surgery. Its not that bad at all. Its been 5 days since mine and I am back at work and driving fine. The first day or 2 it was like a bad sore throat. Now just a little soreness when I turn my head to far.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

That is everyone's fear. I am so sorry. I will be thinking about you. Keep us posted on your surgery etc.

Stacia

Old 02-09-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
(female)

poiball HB User

I can't imagine what you're going through. I'm so sorry you had to be the 5%. Keep your chin up though because thyroid cancer is the most curable cancer out there. (((HUGS)))

Old 02-09-2005, 06:40 AM   #8

Eeyore22 HB User

What frightening news - fortunately thyroid cancer is very curable and you'll have tons of support from this board. Please keep us posted and in the meantime we'll be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery.

((((HUGS))))
Carol

Old 02-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #9

melissall HB User

will be praying for you!

melissa

Old 02-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I know exactly how you feel southwest, Its quite scary thinking about someone operating on one's neck. Looking back thru the years to when I got my diagnosis (which by the way was the same as yours) I remember feeling relief and great happiness after I got out of the surgery. I had a name of something I could fight and beat! The next couple of weeks are going to be hard I know, it is normal human nature to be frightened of the unknown. I wish I could somehow send you a letter with the feeling inclosed inside, of the great burden lifted off me the minute I woke up from the surgery. I don't know why but after my surgery my adrenal glands must have kicked in and I was ready to fight anything. I felt better and had more energy than I had ever had in my life and within 5 days of surgery was back working full time and going fishing every day. Fishing has always relaxed me and kept my mind off my problems (I believe that's what nature can do for all of us) So if you can, find something you like to do that involves nature and do it every day. If not, do you have any hobbies? Keep doing them! After the surgery and being off meds is no fun after the first 4 weeks or so you may be pretty tired and even gain some weight (I gained 20 lbs) Just remember when you get to that point the RAI is just around the corner and the whole ordeal soon to be over. I had the RAI and stayed in the hospital 2 days for it, I had NO side effects from my treatment, unless you can count being bored. Take plenty to read, and find plenty of people you can call to help relieve some of this. Then you will have the Whole Body Scan and be started on your med's. In about 1 to two weeks you will be feeling much your old self. Don't know if I have mentioned to you, but get copies of everything, labs, op reports, medication reports ect and put them in a fire proof box. You will think to yourself "How could I ever forget any of this" but believe me YOU WILL FORGET. You will need this information if you ever move and or change Doc's. You may also have medication questions to this or another board and will need those labs. Good Luck and Best Wishes on your upcoming surgery! (Or as I think of it "your release from anxiety")

Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
(female)

lap1392 HB User

I am waiting to have my thyroid scan.I had a ct scan and they found a growth about the size of a dime.I will find out after the scan if it is cancer or not. But I was told by the doctor that if I had to have cancer that this is the best kind to have that it is 100 Percent cureable.So you will be fine.My scan is March 9.

Lap1392

Old 02-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I know how scary it is to go through this, but you really are going to be just fine. I was dx'd with follicular thyroid cancer in july 03. I had my thyroid removed followed by RAI and another RAI treatment in 04. The surgery really isn't as bad as you probably think. I know I was scared to death just thinking about someone cutting my neck open! But, looking back it wasn't bad at all. I had 2 surgeries and the first one went really well. My surgeon even let me go home the same day. I was pretty sore for a few days, but they gave me Vicodin which helped a lot. It was also difficult to swallow, cough, or turn my head for a few days. My 2nd surgery was 2 week later and it was a little worse since I was still recovering from my 1st surgery. I had to stay in the hopsital for 2 days the 2nd time. I was feeling pretty good again within a couple weeks.

Good luck with your surgery! I will keep you in my prayers!
Hilery

Old 02-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #13
(female)

tamiew HB User

What is the size of your the nodules? I only ask because I have 3 nodules, but my endo says they are too small to biopsy just yet.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Will be thinking of you best wishes and good luck x

Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #15
(female)

southwest1975 HB User

Hi Tamiew... I have four nodules that range in sizes from 1.0 cm to 1.6 cm. The one on my Left lobe is positive for Pappilary carcinoma and the right one is suspicious of follicular neoplasm..i had an ultrasound Dec. 14 after feeling pain in my shoulder. i have absolutley no symptoms and never had. I am just thankful that I went to the doc for that shoulder pain. Keep in touch. Thanks again everyone.

Closed Thread