It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

mommaoffour HB User
Question really confused

Hi there. I have never posted before but have been reading for about three weeks now. I am confused and thought maybe that someone could help me understand. About a month and a half ago I had a blood test done and my tsh came back at .01. So then they took another test a couple weeks later and it came back .004. I guess that is hyper? My symptoms are hypo though. I cannot lose weight, very cold, brain fog, weakness, and the worst is extreme exhaustion!! I am beyond tired now. I have also felt dizzy at times but not to the point that I felt like I was going to faint. I would not have known that I had anything wrong with my thryoid because I have been under extreme stress for awhile now due to husband being deployed, so I was very suprised when they told me.
I had an ultrasound done on my thryoid and they found a small goiter. They want me to get the radioactive uptake scan done but there is a problem because I am a nursing momma.
Sooooo my question is what is going on here? Is it extremely important to have the scan done or can something like that wait? The nurse told me that the dr. can't do anything (no meds) until I have this test done which means that I would have to give up nursing my baby.
I made an appointment to speak to my dr and get a copy of all my levels because he hasn't spoken to me directly since this was discovered. I just want to make the right decision here. I love nursing my baby but if I NEED to get the scan done then I will. I would really appreciate any info or advise that you can give me. I just don't have time to worry about myself right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: really confused

That's bull. For ONE whatever you do, do not take the RAI pill while nursing. I believe you can hurt the baby. TWO, you can get an FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) which is a biopsy to test that nodule and see what they have there. If there is no cancer, which is probably the case, then no big deal....you should be able to finish nursing. If it is cancer, then you have some decisions to make obviously but at that point, breastfeeding might have to take a backseat to the cancer.

Its still very early in the game. It sounds like it might be Graves' Disease or a hot nodule, which is a cyst that is capable of mimicking thyroid cells and produces a lot of hormone, sending you hyper.

With regard to your mixed signals and having hypo symptoms, many symptoms overlap. With a TSH that is virtually undetectable, I would for one want more tests. You need to have another TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Thyroxine, Total T3, Thyroglobulin Antibodies and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies and the TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin...I think...just call it TSI) test to test for Graves. Once you get these additional tests, you will be closer to knowing what's wrong. Everything works in combination with the others so getting all those tests at once is important. You will need to be persistent with your doctor to get him to order all those tests probably.

Next, with regard to the stress factor, absolutely can you get your first "onset" of the disease under times of hardship. For me, it was the birth of my son. 3 months later, my thyroid crapped out. You need more tests as I mentioned above and yes, tons can be told without having to load you up with radiation.

Closed Thread