It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Losing it here - help!

Hi - sorry to bother you here, but had a question that I hope someone can help me decipher what's going on here?
I have been on medicine in the past for anxiety and depression then a panic attack. Can someone switch from one to the other without having some kind of personality disorder?
My mom, sis, and husband say they can't believe some of the swings I go through.
I am now in the process of getting my thyroid in check, but lately I am switching more often. I mean - last week I told everybody that I love how I can't stand them (and not so nicely either) and this week I feel so bad about it and don't feel like I can control it. I mean sometimes it's like I'm looking down at myself and saying "why are you such a witch".
See I also have OCD (my diagnosis), a spendoholic, always seeing something horrible happening (my sis says I have my kids in a bubble). I can't enjoy the moment for worrying "what if"s are going to happen and something tragic is just around the corner. Thought about just getting into a carwreck to give people a lesson - how they can't manage everything without me. I keep having my heart feel like it's going to jump out of my body. It's almost like a rollercoaster ride - up and then down.
So, should I mention this to my doc?
Do you think it's thyroid-related?
What kind of tests might they do?
Is this diagnosis one they can make by a brain scan or something?
Feel like I'm losing my mind!!!
Just some advice. Tell me this is normal.
hrtofluv

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
(female)

Mellybean HB User
Re: Losing it here - help!

anxiety disorders can lead to panic attacks, and ocd is defined as a type of anxiety disorder. Anxiety attacks are also a symptom of a thyroid disorder. I used to have a lot of the same irrational fears as you did, and i had a doctor who misdiagnosed me as OCD and gave me medications that put me in the hospital (long story).
You should definately mention the panic attacks to your doctor. It could be thyroid related, but it also could be linked to OCD. Thyroid problems are detected using blood tests to measure TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and Free T4 and T3 which are the actual thyroid hormone in your body. Thyroid problems usually stem from the thyroid which is located in your neck, not in your head, but a high TSH could stem from a problem in the pituitary gland, but i am not sure if a brain scan would pick it up. A blood test can also find out if your pituitary is acting up.

You should try the mental health board as well, I also think there is one for OCD too. They might give you more info on your other symptoms. I don't know too much about OCD as for me it was a severe misdiagnosis.
I can't say if it is normal or not, but i did experience a lot of anxiety and have had panic attacks in the past. I did have mood swings too.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Mellybean,
Did this get under control once you got your thyroid meds properly adjusted. I'm wondering if it's because I'm slowly getting my levels were they need to be (since last May - blood checked every 6 wks and meds upped).
I have been trying to get into the doc for over a week now, but they can't seem to get me in until March again.
I just hate taking things out on the people I love all the time. And then get so depressed and have no energy.
I think I'm ready for a thyroid transplant - HA! Or just go ahead and remove it or shoot it with something to make it die. I would rather be on a constant med than constantly adjusting it cause my thyroid decides to work a little and then stop.
Thanks for replying - maybe I'm not crazy. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I'm kinda scared to tell the doc everything in case he thinks I need a straight jacket.
But I will mention it to him when he can finally see me.
THANKS again!
hrtofluv

Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
(female)

Mellybean HB User

That's the way they get you adjusted though, they don't want to give you too much medicine. Better too little than too much.
You should tell your doctor ALL of your symptoms though. It can only help him get the broader picture. I am on a really low dose of synthroid right now, and the doctors want me to get rechecked in 2 monthsm but i made an appointment with an endo in march. It sucks feeling so horrible when you know what is going on with you. But a lot of people will tell you that overshooting the meds feels a lot worse then not getting enough.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
(female)

moosie33 HB User
Please help me!!!

HELP! I was wondering if anyone could me??!!! I have many symptoms of hypothyroidism, but when my Dr ran blood tests they came back normal. Thus, he refuses to do anything about the numb toes and fingers, loss of hair, extreme fatigue, depression (except that i am on antidepressants), OCD, gerd, and EXTREME WEIGHT GAIN!!! That is actually one of the most disturbing things for me. My weight is out of control no matter how much I exercise or how healthy I eat. I run every day for 30 mins-1 hour and do 30-45 mins of weight 3 times a week. I am on a 1200-1500 calorie diet and only manage to put on weight with all my efforts.
If someone could please help me to find a doctor that will treat my symptoms or find out what is truly wrong i would appreciate it. I am desperate.I don't know if this is hypothyroidism, but i need help. I experience such anxiety and depression it is ruining my life. I cannot take this much longer. Thank you

Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

Mellybean HB User

Can you possibly get the results of the blood tests that the doctor ran? Sometimes what the lab considers normal actually isn't. I know some labs have a max normal TSH of 5.5 when the maximum TSH was just lowered to 3. Also if someone has symptoms and a TSH of over 2.0 they should be put on meds. So see if you can actually get the results back from the doctor.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Mellybean,
Well - this was the list I took into the doc at lunch.
Blurry vision
headaches
chest pains and pressure
swollen legs and fingers, and face – can feel when it starts to puff (worse in morning and at night)
tired all the time and then can’t sleep (mind won’t shut off)
just picking up clothes - too tired and out of breath
take deep breaths to calm palpitations
losing hair big time
very vivid dreams
hemorrhaging period with clots – still spot when wiping 1 week later – SEVERE PMS
dizzy and foggish – like mind playing tricks on me
no sexual drive, but who cares
sometimes every thing gets shaky – insides and hands
muscles feel weak (can’t get up) and joint pains
cold then hot then cold
forgetfulness – no memory or concentration – sometimes forget where driving to – detached from conversations (like surreal) – spacey – forget simple words
heart palpitations
hives and itchy spot on back
OCD (own diagnosis) getting worse
going crazy because depression then anxiety then sudden anger (rage-like) then panic (scared something bad is going to happen) are driving me and my family crazy – husband, mom, and sis have all noticed and said I’m bi-polar.
Kids ask if I “feel like” I can read them a book at night. Makes me feel horrible.
Have trouble at work – concentrating – staying focused – could care less.

So - the NP said that either my thyroid is probably way out of wack again, but that a consult to a pych might be in order - not all of this could be my thyroid. She gave me a 2 wk dose pack of Lexipro to see if that helps along with a small water pill, lowered my synthroid and took blood to see what's up.
Well, at least we are on the right track now to get me normal again - whatever that means.
Thanks again for your info and advice.
May be posting here more now.
Later!
hrtofluv

Old 02-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
(female)

Mellybean HB User

when you first said that you had spending sprees and then had weeks where you would rage and get dperessed, along with the roller coaster like feelings i did think bipolar, but that's going on my college intro psych class. A consult to a psychiatrist couldn't hurt. If anything he might recommend something you can do when the panic attacks hit, or some strategies for keeping your cool. When you get your results back, post them so we can take a look.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

A lot of those symptoms are signs of hyperthyroid. I am the same exact way. I've been given anti-psychotics and everything else, but its just my thyroid. You need to test your antibodies frequently. Its when those AB's are flaring up that you are going through all those ups and downs.

How's this for instance. Mon: TSH 5.5 Wed: TSH 16.4....I feel like Im insane sometimes during these flare ups. The only real way to level the field is to nuke your thyroid or wait for it to die on its own, which it probably will.

Is sounds like a wicked case of Hashi's to me.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

Mellybean HB User

hashi's can do that to someone? WOW! Do they normally test you for hashi's if you are diagnosed with a thyroid problem?

edit: wow i really can't spell sometimes

Last edited by Mellybean; 02-10-2005 at 02:48 PM.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Yeah - how can they tell if it's Hashi's or just simple hypoT?
The doc told me that we just had to wait for my thyroid to die off so that the ups and downs would end. He says that every now and then, my thyroid would kick into gear and pour out and that's when I go hyper. Then when it quits again, I go hypo. Does that mean that I have Hashi's based on his description?

So - they can nuke your thyroid to kill it? I've always joked about hiring a hit man to kill it for me. Or get a thyroid-transplant of a 20yr old.

Have you had that done? What's it like? I would consider doing it to kill it off.

Feeling better today....but who knows what the winds of tomorrow will bring. I am not going to take the Lexapro today - it made me nauseous all day yesterday.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Yes, that is classic Hashi's and yes, mine does the same exact thing. I've had SEVERAL tests done now...about 20 full thyroid panels and although TSH means absolutely nothing, when my antibodies are very high, I've noticed I feel like crap and get all those associated mental issues. When my antibodies are low and everything is running fine, I am almost perfectly normal like I was when I was 18. Right now I am in a RECORD 13 day repreive from symptoms. I actually feel perfectly fine for the first time in a long, long time. I think my thyroid died off enough to not give me those hyper symptoms any more (knock on wood).

I have not had my thyroid ablated with RAI yet. We are playing it by ear too and waiting for it to die on its own. I am not on any meds either due to my perfect Free T's, but with my last tests, we might start me on Synthroid or something very soon. Right now its pretty much wait and see.

Here is my last test, taken this week:

TSH 14.659 Range .40 - 5.5
T4 Free .9 Range .8 - 1.8
T3 Free 3.43 Range 2.30 - 4.20
T3 Total 1.41 Range .70 - 1.79
Thyroxine 5.3 Range 4.5 - 12.0

Thyroglobulin Ab 574 Range Less than 74
Thyroid Peroxidase AB 1533 Range Less than 39

Closed Thread