It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

mistya HB User
symptoms of hypo

I have had many symptoms of hypo over the past few month. My husband is in the marine corps and we move all the time. In July we moved for the 3rd time in 3 years, I started getting dizzy off and on. I thought maybe it was stress. This went away for the most part, but I still have tons of symptoms. My grandmother,great aunt, both my moms sisters(my aunts)my cousin and my mom have thyroid disorders. .Are any of you hypothyroid and have other family members that have it. Do you think because so many of my family members have it that I am doomed? Oh two weird symptoms I am 24 and have had gray hair for a few years and when I wake up in the morning I have indentions on the sides of my tongue.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: symptoms of hypo

My mom had it and my daughter has it. Some luck, eh?
Gray hair at an early age and tongue indentations are two less publicized signs of thyroid disease.
You'll never know unless you get tested. Make sure to have thyroid antibodies tests done. The autoimmune form of hypoT is frequently seen in family groups.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

My maternal grandmother and my mother both have it. It does run in families, especially the autoimmune form, as midwest pointed out - and the autoimmune form (Hashimotos) is the most common.

Stress can also bring on hypothyroidism.

Nat

Old 02-10-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

My mother had hashi's and thyroidectomy and I've got it too.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

midwest - tounge indentations? Sorta like geographic tongue?

Old 02-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The tongue is often enlarged and thick, so the teeth make an imprint where the tongue presses against them. Makes a sort of scalloped effect around the perimeter.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I'll be gosh darned! Just when you thought you knew everything. I got that and alway thought my tongue was just a little funky looking. It almost looks like a ribbon or bow tie macaroni when I stick it out...just like you said...scalloped along the edges.....weird. I never though nothing of it before.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

nastyhashi - ha, me too..

Old 02-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Mother, aunts & grandmother were hypo. Sister was dx as Hashi's. I was just dx. My family is the hypo family.

Closed Thread