It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #1

ohiobuckeye HB User
Smile thyroid medication and weight loss

has anyone had weight loss after arriving at a "right" dose of thyroid medication? Does replacing thyroid hormone help one to lose weight? I used to never be overweight-but since my thyroid starting failing last March-the weight has really been adding up. When my labs can to normal for awhile, it seemed that I lost some (in October) but then my labs went hypo because they weren't increasing my medication enough and the pounds came back on. (I just switched to Armour)
(Hoping the pig makes me skinny)

Old 02-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: thyroid medication and weight loss

I am not sure but here is my opinion and from my own experiences: I think that when your meds are at optimium level you will then have a "normal metabolism" In other words if being hypo caused you to gain weight (and it does) then being at optimium will help you lose the weight that you gained no more no less. using myself as a example here go's: I normally weigh 103 my thyroid hormones were at optimium level for me (thats me without thyroid cancer history, mind you) My Doc lowered my synthroid which in turn made me hypo after about one year of this my weight increased by 20 lbs (For ref my TSH was 7.9) The Doc then raised my dose and the lbs are coming off, but slowly the same way they went on. Now because I had thyroid cancer my TSH has to be kept very low below .10 and to me that is hyper, from past experience I know that this will eventually put my weight down too low at about 97 lbs. When my TSH is that low I am always hungry and eat like a pig and can not gain weight. I hate the whole thing because I like the weight I am at when hypo and hate to lose it but what can I do? Well hope this did not confuse you more. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: thyroid medication and weight loss

Benzi:

You are my dopple-ganger! I don't want to be 97 pounds either. That is really skinny for someone with my boney face! I haven't dropped all the weight yet...but I'm hoping to keep a little. That hunger thing can drive you wild...I know!

~S

Closed Thread