It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Unhappy Scared - Tapering off Zoloft

I went to the doc today to learn how to taper off my Zoloft. I'm so scared. He didn't do what I thought he would do. I'm on 50mg. He's having me take 25 for 10 days and then half of that for 10 days and thats it. Does that sound too fast? I asked him if I should taper slower and he said that this was fine. He actually said that you don't want to taper too fast or you could end up in the hospital.

I also told him about my hot flashes and night sweats. He took blood to check me for early menopause. (I'm 33) I told him that I know it's unusual for someone my age to go through menopause but it's also unusual for my sister to be born with RA and my husband to have a stroke at 32. I rule nothing out. He also checked my TSH. I wanted to tell him, "Idiot, don't check my TSH check my free t's." I just figured that if the menopause thing came back negative I'd go back to my endo and have him check my frees.

Any input or advise on the tapering of the Zoloft would be great. I've been on it since August and now that my thryoid is more normal I don't think I need it.

Thanks guys! I so appreciate your words of wisdom.

Stacia

The following user gives a hug of support to Stacia:
d55patrick (04-15-2011)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Re: Scared - Tapering off Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia
I went to the doc today to learn how to taper off my Zoloft. I'm so scared. He didn't do what I thought he would do. I'm on 50mg. He's having me take 25 for 10 days and then half of that for 10 days and thats it. Does that sound too fast? I asked him if I should taper slower and he said that this was fine. He actually said that you don't want to taper too fast or you could end up in the hospital.

I also told him about my hot flashes and night sweats. He took blood to check me for early menopause. (I'm 33) I told him that I know it's unusual for someone my age to go through menopause but it's also unusual for my sister to be born with RA and my husband to have a stroke at 32. I rule nothing out. He also checked my TSH. I wanted to tell him, "Idiot, don't check my TSH check my free t's." I just figured that if the menopause thing came back negative I'd go back to my endo and have him check my frees.

Any input or advise on the tapering of the Zoloft would be great. I've been on it since August and now that my thryoid is more normal I don't think I need it.

Thanks guys! I so appreciate your words of wisdom.

Stacia
In my opinion I think he should have weaned you off a little slower...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

I don't think this weaning schedule sounds too fast, but if you're concerned, maybe you could take 50 mg two days, then 25 mg one day, then 50 mg 2 days for a while. Only after you feel comfortable with that would you move to 50-25-50-25. And then 25 mg per day, etc.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

I have just read such horrible things about getting off this stuff, although, a lady at work said she was on it for 3 years and she just quit cold turkey with no problems. I've only been on it since August and I am certain that the anxiety is not going to come back now that my levels are good. I just don't want side effects from going off the drug.

Thanks for you input. That makes be feel a tish better.

Stacia

Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

storm12 HB User

I had no problem tapering off Zoloft, but I think that's because it wasn't doing that much for me anyway. My peronsal suggestion (based weaning myself off Effexor recently) is to gradually decrease daily dosages and and then going to every other day to every three days to gradually nothing. I am not professional but speaking from personal experience.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
(female)

tamiew HB User

Tapering is a good idea. When I have stopped Zoloft cold turkey, I have TERRIBLE vertigo for weeks. If I were you I would take 25 mg every other day for a week beyond what your doctor told you and see if you feel okay doing that. If you do, you should be able to stop and not have any problems. It takes 4-6 weeks for these medications to get to optimum level in our bodies so it stands to reason it will take a while for the body to be completely purged of them.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
(female)

trucky HB User

Case in point: I'm tapering off Zoloft, kinda like what was just suggested. I was down to 3-5 mgs per day, and could go a day without, then I just took 3 mgs after two days--I was in the store and a huge wave of painful parasthesia came over me--I could have obsessed about MS REALLY easily. it's SO frustrating! Isn't there something to take while tapering? What can I do about this pins&needles pain? PLEASE I need suggestions, and I'm sure some of you'all do too!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
(female)

Well I forgot to take it on Thursday night and last night I took my first 25mg dose. I kinda have a headache today but that's about it. I am so many symptoms with Hashi's that I can't tell if its that or the Zoloft. I probably have more fear in me than I need to. I guess I figured that if I started to have really strange side effects I can always increase a little.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Inactive

mariepom HB User

I am just curious if taking the zoloft in the first place was worth the worries of coming off of it?
I was told that zoloft was not addicting and it does not stay in the body or blood that long? But I had a bad reaction taking it just once because I have chemical sensitivities.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
(female)

When I started on the Zoloft I had no idea that I had a thyroid problem. I started to have anxiety/panic attacks in the middle of the night. I had a real bad summer. My mother-in-law was in the hospital for 3 months. She died on July 31st from leukemia. I was there every day when she was in the hospital and I was there when she died. Two days after her funeral my husband had an appt with a neurologist for some facial pain we had been trying to figure out since the spring and the MRI showed a stroke. (He's 34) You could say I thought that I wasn't handling life so well. I have been through rough times before, my dad had a heart attack etc etc. (I won't bore you will all that) When she prescribed me Zoloft i didn't think twice. I've never been a pill popper or on any type of medication before in my life. The zoloft helped. Although, I did have anxiety about taking the damn stuff. I hated the idea that I was not in control of my life. That's just not who I am. Two weeks into the Zoloft I went back to the doc cuz I was still having chest pain and wanted to know if it was still the anxiety or if something else was wrong. Thats when they checked my TSH and it was 393.

Zoloft is not addicting. But you have to be veeeeery careful coming off of it. From my understanding it replaces seritonin (forgive my spelling) in your brain that you need. When you start to taper you have to do it slowly to let your brain build back what it needs on it's own. Slowly. It did help. But now that my thryoid is normal I really feel I don't need it.

I forgot to take it on thurs, took the half pill fri, sat and today and actually I haven't noticed any side effects. I think that so far this is going to be fine. I do know that Zoloft does have a 1/2 life. It took more than two weeks to get into my system so I'm just waiting to see how long it takes to get out of my system.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
(female)

trucky HB User

Thanks for the info--I'm still having pins&needles mostly around my face and neck, but somewhat in the rest of my body. I was down to 3 mgs twice a day of zoloft, then I felt great the next day not taking it--BUT if I do that the parasthesia comes back--I know this sounds crazy, but I hope this sensation is the withdrawal, because I obsess that it's some other horrible thing wrong with me! Benadryl helps, but I cant function during the day on it. My breathing is really slow and erratic since the whole zoloft thing, but pins&needles for hours doesn't seem right.The psychiatrist will not claim any withdrawal symptoms from such low a dose of an SSRI. I am worried because I get painful pins&needles on my eyeballs as well.

PLEASE any suggestions?! T

Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #12

Teach2003 HB User

Hi Stacia...
Nice to speak to you again. I was never on Zoloft; however, I was on Paxil for almost 2 years (my doctor prescibed it to me after my dad passed away. I had a very hard time dealing). I took 10mg for almost 2 years and felt like I was on top of the world. Until one day that I decided I did not want to be drugged up anymore. I started gaining weight with the Paxil, and just became very detached...I was numb for 24 hours a day. Nothing phased me, and nothing seemed to matter anymore. I didn't like the feeling, so decided to come off it. I quit cold turkey, and boy did I have some severe withdrawals. I had horrible night sweats every night for 3 weeks. I'm talking about drenched! Then I was dizzy ALL THE TIME, and falling asleep everywhere I sat. I am a teacher...and I'd fall asleep in the middle of class. I was like, "Wow! Am I that boring that I even put myself to sleep!" But no...it was the withdrawls. Doctors love to sell Paxil as America's "Wonder Drug"..and they swear that it is not addictive...guess again my lovely doctors! After much research, I discovered that Paxil is extremely addictive and the withdrawls are similar to those of a drug habit. However, I have heard that Zoloft is different and not as intense and habit forming as Paxil. My husband was prescribed Zoloft after a very stressful period in the Fire/Rescue Academy. He took it for stress for about 3 months. He quit cold turkey and did not have a problem. I think wheening yourself off is a great idea. In addition, since you know your body best, I would wheen myself depending on how I'm feeling. Try reducing the dosage every three or 4 weeks until little by little your body begins to adjust. I wish you the best...you are in my prayers!

Old 02-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks for the input. You are so sweet. Boy am I glad they didn't put me on Paxil. The tapering seems to be going well. I've been on 1/2 a pill for 10 days now and feel fine. Tonight I start on 1/2 of the 1/2. I really think it will be okay. I honestly don't think I need it anymore now that my thyroid is within normal range. I do have dizzy days but I think that is thyroid related.

Closed Thread