It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

smileyk HB User
Working out-- bad?

Ok, I feel kinda stupid asking this question. (I'm a born worrier!) ....but I was in the best shape I've ever been in (I'm 36) before this Graves got me!! Sometimes I feel like I can do a little working out...about 1/4 of what I used to do and am sweating worse--I'm taking Beta blockers.....is it dangerous for me to work out? and work out to the point of dripping sweat? Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Re: Working out-- bad?

Hello my doc and endo told me not too! Because of the strain already on the heart l had to have my betablockers stopped as l had an adverse reaction to them although they arnt 100% sure (long story disabling joint pains) l would ask your doc l too was working out like mad when l was dxn and was told to stop even now 7months later l was told very light exercise if l do it best to be safe and ask good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

smileyk HB User

Niecey...thanks for your reply...it's so hard not to TRY to work out when you're used to it you know? If I don't, I just feel like a 'blob.' Thanks...I will ask my doc. !!

Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yea l understand............your welcome lve put a stone and half on and people tell me l look alot better for it!!! I dont feel it lol mind l dont think l have the energy these days to go keep fit crazy again lol how long you had graves? what meds you on?

Old 02-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

smileyk HB User

I was diagnosed Hashi in Sept....but never got sick. Just diagnosed Graves a couple weeks ago...after not feeling well since Christmas. My doc. is pretty good...he ran all the right tests and found it quick. I'm taking the beta blocker (Toprol 100mg./day)..I take 25 at breakfast and lunch and 50 before bed...I've noticed if I forget to take it and wait a couple hours, that my heart really starts to race again. The other stuff I'm taking is mostly for headache...Fioricet...also taking anti-depressant...this whole thing was making me depressed /irritable. Have the RAI scan next week...will be interesting to see what they find. What about you? What are you taking? You also have Graves? What treatment did you choose? My neck itches like CRAZY!!! (right now!!!)

Old 02-13-2005, 04:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi l was dxn with graves in June 04 but l probally had it for about 6yrs all the same symptoms etc noone tested my thyroid my mother has hypo..... started off on propranolol beta blocker then carbinmazole july developed some really bad joint pains so beta blocler was swapped and the carbinmazole was changed to ptu l started block and replace about mid sept ive had lots and lots of probs trips to Er etc it was that bad my little one used to say 'mam where we going today? the doctors or hospital?' bless her it was the school holidays too she missed out on alot of trips out etc however we make up for it when im well lol l never had thr rai scan just an ultra sound on my throat l dont beleive there really necessary to dxn graves blood test can find that!! tsi antibodies etc (im still not up to date on all the terms even though l read all the time into graves) just a quickie as lm off out have a nice weekend catch up with you later x ps l understand the depression of it all sigh

Old 02-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Sorry to be crashing the post here.

But, I thought I'd add something here. Did you know Olympic Athlete Gail Danvers was diagnosed with Graves three years after being dogged by all kinds of horrible symptoms? She was still trying to run, even without energy and ended up tearing her ACL. Yikes! And, later she learned how the muscles contract, but don't stay limber when you have Graves.

Food for thought on maybe being careful.

~S)

Closed Thread