It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Question funny bone pain

Hey all;

Figured I'd run something by you and see if you can help me figure something here.

I've been trying to research the funny bone pain in my elbows. So far, I'm just getting sketchy info. I've seen it referred to as a symptom of hypo...with fibromyalgia and ALSO of overstimulation.

My other symptoms seem hypo to me, so I could see this fitting more into that category. The tendon pain is so uncomfortable, I tend to jump when I hear sudden noises in the other room. That makes me think HYPER...instead. You see?

I'd like to think this funny bone pain will go away soon as it is very uncomfortable. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

~S

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: funny bone pain

I suffered terrible elbow and wrist tendinitis for years. It's funny you ask just now... because just last night, while I was lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, the thought wandered through my head that my elbow - which used to hurt excruciatingly - has barely a twinge in it anymore. It's only since my last dose bump that this has happened.
You're "thyroid smart", SC, so I'm sure you know tendinitis is common when FT levels aren't optimal. If you haven't injured it directly, your levels might not be in your magic zone yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Thanks a MILLION Midwest!

I just woke up and had another one of those light-bulbs come on.

In my situation (really every combo-taking person) has five choices when looking for a cause for symtoms related to the meds. Too little Synthroid/too much Synthroid, too much Armour/too little Armour....or its transitionary. Seems obvious...but it never quite jumped out at me before.

Man, its SO good to have the mind working again!

I just had my blood sucked yesterday. I think the woman put a fire hose sized needle in my arm. My Lord...did it hurt. The results won't be given to me until the 21st. I think my best bet is to wait for them...but still I can't help being curious.

I feel that it may be an overload of t3, but am not sure. You can get that from either the Synthroid or the Armour. So..that doesn't really narrow that down. I could cut 1/4 of one of them. I tend to lean toward cutting the Armour....over the Synthroid. I worry that the t4 takes too long to build if you take away the Synthroid if I'm wrong)...whereas the Armour has more flexibility -- to me anyway. That t3 does a lot of faking you out though...since its rambunctious but settles over time.

Today though...I actually "felt" motivated. Ya know that feeling like you want to go do something? Now...THAT is an old friend that I haven't seen in a while. I'd really like this one to stick around...so I think if I cut the A or the S...it might leave me again. Ya know?

Earlier this week....I felt spacey and dizzy at the store. Now...was that because I am over tired from my Dracula like sleeping schedule..or was it because of not enough med?

My formerly pruned finger-tips have popped out. Now that is SO cool! They look like real fingers again. Now... that development only came recently...with one of the latest ups...in Armour....so I tend to think I'm on the right track. Ya see? Perhaps I need even more...for the rest of my skin to look human again? Now...that would make me feel like being alive! That truely would be BIG for me.

The last bump up was only Feb 5th...Just one full week ago. I think you really need two full weeks to really give new dose of Armour a fair trial run...since that T3 like I said, pulls some mischeivous games. Not really fair to the blood test I just took...but it will still give me some idea..since I keep track of what I'm taking all the time....

Thanks for hearing me out. Your telling me that you needed a bump up to get RID of tendon pain...makes me also think I'm on the right track. So...thanks for that. Sometimes you just need a place to bounce your own thoughts around

Warmest Regards,

~S

But...I could be wrong about that whole thing. Perhaps I need more of one or the other... hmmmn.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hahah... clearly there's nothing wrong with your thought processes... But I fear you'll drive yourself mad trying to sort it all out. lol

I've had significant muscle aches and weakness throughout my treatment. It's my belief that the weakness caused the strain on the tendons in the elbow and wrist. In early fall, I talked my way into another 1/2 grain increase, and in about 2 weeks time - (the time it takes me to feel a dose bump too) - that achiness and weakness was 75% better. Somewhere between then and now, the tendinitis subsided gradually without me even realizing it until my thoughts wandered last night.

Now... I'd love to have the remaining 25% of the aches gone as well. If you know me well enough, you know I'm not a self-doser, but I'd sure love to give another 1/4 grain a try. I have enough med to try it, but not enough chutzpah. Still, this would be the time to do it, before my next appt in March. Then I'd have time to make an argument to my doc for his approval.

I know exactly what you mean when you say how nice it is to have some motivation. I'm actually eager for spring and the gardening season. Last year this time, I dreaded the thought of all that work, but not this year. I'm me again!

Look at me bouncing thoughts around now... lol

Last edited by midwest1; 02-12-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Mid!

Were you really up at 2:08? A fellow Dracula I see. LOL

You know what is so funny? Last night I was laying in bed. Decided, I'm gonna cut back on the Armour because the pain WAS so extreme. Then...I woke up this morning and its mostly gone! So....now...I have decided to keep my dose. LOL
We shall see if this is gonna stay. Maybe its just worse later in the day after I take the second dose? Hmmmn...

I actually WANTED to go for a walk when I woke up this morning. I almost forgot, I'm an invalid. GEE..where did THAT come from?

I know self-medicating is supposedly terrible. I just think the doctor can't know what is happening in your tissues unless he takes a chunk out of ya...and even then, they don't have a clue how to measure all the T's.

One doctor's book I got recently says something about the pains associated with lack of thryoid hormone. He posits that certain pain-killing serums are normal, and without them we get pain. So....he theorizes that we would all be in terrible pain without the body producing these pain killers...which he says some of which come from your thryoid gland. So, he beielives usually pain is hypo related. Even though, I do agree, I also know you can get overstimulated and that can produce all kinds of pain too! I know...because I have done it.

I was just thinking that getting the right dose is sort of like getting a stream of water to flow into a small bottle's opening. You have to hold the container you are pouring the liquid from "JUST SO" in order to keep that stream flowing into its target perfectly. The slightest deviation and you've got a mess. Isn't that exactly how the body is designed or even the universe?

Yeah...I'm such a big geek. LOL

~S

Old 02-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: funny bone pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush

I actually WANTED to go for a walk when I woke up this morning. I almost forgot, I'm an invalid. GEE..where did THAT come from?

I know self-medicating is supposedly terrible. I just think the doctor can't know what is happening in your tissues unless he takes a chunk out of ya...and even then, they don't have a clue how to measure all the T's.

One doctor's book I got recently says something about the pains associated with lack of thryoid hormone. He posits that certain pain-killing serums are normal, and without them we get pain. So....he theorizes that we would all be in terrible pain without the body producing these pain killers...which he says some of which come from your thryoid gland. So, he beielives usually pain is hypo related. Even though, I do agree, I also know you can get overstimulated and that can produce all kinds of pain too! I know...because I have done it.

I was just thinking that getting the right dose is sort of like getting a stream of water to flow into a small bottle's opening. You have to hold the container you are pouring the liquid from "JUST SO" in order to keep that stream flowing into its target perfectly. The slightest deviation and you've got a mess. Isn't that exactly how the body is designed or even the universe?

Yeah...I'm such a big geek. LOL

~S
as midwest knows, it sometimes takes years for thyroid symptoms to work themselves out ... in my case, if it's not one thing it's another, and i've been hypO for ~ 3 years ... the symptoms of the "not one thing/another" bit becomes less significant tho, as the years pass, and i personally have given up on thyroid panels (used to be a great believer in them -- had one done every month or so) ... but when my thyroid panel done last august (slightly hypO) was exactly the same as that done in september (HYPER!, HYPER!! ), i gave up and went to an ND ... just be prepared (i wasn't) for the "one thing/another" syndrome and you'll be fine ...

i don't think that self medicating is terrible (my doctor knows i do it) -- how can a doctor know by a number how you feel? and my legs used to ache terribly b/f i was medicated (i used to cry), so that doctor's theory sounds interesting ... what's his name?

jb

Old 02-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

JB:

Thanks for adding to the discussion. Its refreshing to hear the real inside story from someone like you who has been through it all. I think we have all run across Dr. John Lowe's website. I just ordered one of his books. I mistakenly thought...it was going to tell me the EXACT Forumula for getting out of this fine jam. It really doesn't, but it does give a lot of interesting theories about the pain aspects and how to improve your metabolism and relieve fibromyalgia.

So, this whole chasing the perfect health again...may go on for quite some time?

Yeah...I'm at that point now, where I have figured so much out, I'm so close I can practically taste it. I too think the tests probably will be of little value as you hone in on the right balance.

By the way..today I took that 1/4 less of Armour....and got a lot less pain. Just some in my knees going up and down the stairs. Even my afternoon dose didn't foster pain. So..maybe I need to just do 2 grains instead of 2 1/4. I've done each for 7 or 10 days.

I didn't wind up in bed either like usual....instead I headed out to the store and drove around in the car! The weather was so beautiful. YES!

~S

Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: funny bone pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush
JB:

Thanks for adding to the discussion. Its refreshing to hear the real inside story from someone like you who has been through it all. I think we have all run across Dr. John Lowe's website. I just ordered one of his books. I mistakenly thought...it was going to tell me the EXACT Forumula for getting out of this fine jam. It really doesn't, but it does give a lot of interesting theories about the pain aspects and how to improve your metabolism and relieve fibromyalgia.

So, this whole chasing the perfect health again...may go on for quite some time?

Yeah...I'm at that point now, where I have figured so much out, I'm so close I can practically taste it. I too think the tests probably will be of little value as you hone in on the right balance.

By the way..today I took that 1/4 less of Armour....and got a lot less pain. Just some in my knees going up and down the stairs. Even my afternoon dose didn't foster pain. So..maybe I need to just do 2 grains instead of 2 1/4. I've done each for 7 or 10 days.

I didn't wind up in bed either like usual....instead I headed out to the store and drove around in the car! The weather was so beautiful. YES!

~S
you got it ... the closer one gets to "euthyroid" (what a ghastly word), the more difficult it gets, for some ppl, to find the state of health they were in b/f they got this thyroid thing ... so i think you'd be best off not "chasing the perfect health again" ... just try to feel the best you can feel, and get on with your life ...

titrating the drugs (whether synthroid or armour) for that last 10 or 15% can be the most awful thing {{{cat just leapt up on lap, demanding attention, all claws, and is now picking her way car^fully on key$%ard -- well, n&t that $% careful%y}}} ... i now understand that there is no magic formula for something as complex as the thyroid gland, which controls everything ... just this morning, i woke up with a rash on my scalp (must have migrated from the corner of my mouth , which i thought was cured , but no -- just gone to a new location) ... i have never had such a thing b/f, not in all my years, which are considerable ...

i realize now that i've been neglecting my nutrition for at least 10 years; not working out for the last couple has made me weak ... gosh golly, i wonder why that could be!?

so i've found it best, after considerable frustration, not to chase "before hypo", but to feel as well as i can ... so head out in the beautiful weather and do whatever you can ... try to walk outside (again, after considerable thinking "what a wimpy thing to do", i find it most beneficial even if you can only do a few steps holding on to someone -- keeps one's balance intact b/c the ground is uneven, unlike a treadmill) ...

unlike my sister, who "just has to take a little pill" ... she skiis and is bouncy as heck ...

i'll see what dr. lowe has to say ...

jb

Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #9

diatron HB User

I have had tendinitis for at least 4 years, now that I am on thyroid meds there's a chance it will go away? What a wonderful thought. Thanks for letting me know that this is probably hypo-related.
Yeah jinglebts, I have that scalp (and ear) "fungus" too. My doc says it should go away soon as I get closer to an optimum dose of thyroid meds. I sure hope so.
I can't wait to really feel good again, but I guess I have to. Thanks for connecting the dots for me (connecting the symptoms to the TD).

Old 02-15-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: funny bone pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatron
I have had tendinitis for at least 4 years, now that I am on thyroid meds there's a chance it will go away? What a wonderful thought. Thanks for letting me know that this is probably hypo-related.
Yeah jinglebts, I have that scalp (and ear) "fungus" too. My doc says it should go away soon as I get closer to an optimum dose of thyroid meds. I sure hope so.
I can't wait to really feel good again, but I guess I have to. Thanks for connecting the dots for me (connecting the symptoms to the TD).
a fungus?! OMG ... if i have to wait for my thyroid meds to become "optimum", i'll never get there ... what do you do for the scalp fungus? i'm seeing my GP this morning, but really, it's just too awful ...

i've never had tendinitis, but it's a symptom of hypo ... one's tissues swell, thus putting pressure on the tendons, thus carpal tunnel syndrome for some folks, and swelling extremities (my ankles looked like big balloons), which disappears (and recurs) too ... in the meantime, have you tried ultrasound (physio)?

jb

jb

Old 02-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #11

diatron HB User

I'm not convinced what I have in my scalp and ears is really a fungus. My doctor thinks it is just really dry skin--itchy, flaky patches that bleed if I scratch at them too much. The rest of my skin is also very dry. I've given up the blow dryer until it clears up.

I'm getting ready to try ultrasound on my tendinitis, but have decided to wait a bit and see if it heals up as I raise my thyroid meds over the next few months. It seems to be less painful the more Levoxyl I take. Am up to 125 mcg right now and I still don't feel great. My doctor is willing to take it as high as it needs to go to allow me to feel better.

Gee, swollen ankles and legs too. I'm really going to be looking forward to getting optimized and having those go away too

Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: funny bone pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatron
I'm not convinced what I have in my scalp and ears is really a fungus. My doctor thinks it is just really dry skin--itchy, flaky patches that bleed if I scratch at them too much. The rest of my skin is also very dry. I've given up the blow dryer until it clears up.

I'm getting ready to try ultrasound on my tendinitis, but have decided to wait a bit and see if it heals up as I raise my thyroid meds over the next few months. It seems to be less painful the more Levoxyl I take. Am up to 125 mcg right now and I still don't feel great. My doctor is willing to take it as high as it needs to go to allow me to feel better.

Gee, swollen ankles and legs too. I'm really going to be looking forward to getting optimized and having those go away too
my "fungus" turned out to be an infected pimple sittting on top of a nerve ... when my GP actually looked at my scalp, he saw nothing (except the zit at the front) but believed me about the pain (and thus my thinking that there was irritation) ... the pain extends in a two-inch strip from about the front left to the middle of my head, and the zit is sitting right on top of the nerve ... he gave me some antibacterial cream and told me to come back in about two weeks if it hasn't gone away -- a very faint chance of skin cancer (no, not melanoma), which can be dealt with fairly simply ...

of course, how i'll look if the stupid zit doesn't go away is another matter (biopsies, cryosurgery), but he's a guy, so what does he care ...

dry skin is a symptom of hypo too, so it helps if you use an oilier skin lotion than you're used to -- even vitamin E oil (just break the capsule) ...

ah the joys, esp. in winter ...

jb

Old 02-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

JB:

You crack me up big time! What a riot. Yes..you are so right "euthyroid"....YEECK. Its as ghastly a term as I have ever heard!

I am now taking 37.5 mcg S/ 2 + 1/8 Armour now. That is 118 t4 and 19.1 T3. Yes..instead of 2 or 2 + 1/14 I chose the middle route. I just split, grind and pile them in little hills on a covered plate.

It cleared the tendon pain. YES! I feel so good!!!!! Now...to get some more energy and get rid of the puffiness. The next few days will prove whether that was the right decision.

Ya see I think there is a HYPO tendon fibromylgia pain...then there's the hyper overstim tendon pain (the kind I had over the weekend). One has to figure which they have so they know what the next move should be to relieve it.

Diatron: I think you have the fibro-hypo-pure-t4-induced kind. The only way to get rid of the fibro-tendon-pain you have is to take Armour in my opinion. Just pull down a bit on that synthetic and add in a bit of armour. I was writhing in pain and wished I was dead when I was on pure synthetic and the torture only ended when I started introducing Armour.

JUST my opinions...take it all with a big boulder of SALT!

~S

Closed Thread