It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

jodiejoey HB User
Talking Doctor Hope!!!!

I haven't posted in a while because I went into a no one is going to help me, pitty me, giving up phase for a while. I guess I have just been trying to ignore it all.

BUT, then, I got some hope. My Mom has been having a lot of health problems lately, some thyroid, and can't find a decent doctor either. She decided to go the the local health market (you know like the natural places) to see if they might have some ideas on something she could take. The ladies that work there told her that she needed to go see a local doctor who they thought could help her. She went and we are both in shock! The doctor herself said she could help my Mom get off of all sorts of medication by treating her with some estrogen and Armour Thyroid. Here is the kicker...she told her that she had thyroid problems when she was in medical school and all the doctors would blow her off. She has lived it before! She actually said that my Mother would be the guide of her own treatment by letting the Doctor know how she felt. She doesn't depend only on the numbers!!! I made an appointment for Thursday. I have made a list of all my symptoms and happenings within the past five years. I am anxious to see what she has to say.

My Mom said she is very enthusiastic and attributes her "uniqueness" as a doctor to the fact that she is a Canadian trained doctor.

I guess we will see. I'll let y'all know how it goes just in case there are any other Houstonians out there.

Jodie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

texanniew HB User
Re: Doctor Hope!!!!

I am Houstonian. What's the doctor's name??

Old 02-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
(female)

keav HB User

I wish I lived in Houston. I, too, am in that "given up phase, no-one can help me". I do have an appointment with a Dr. Beverly Wedda on March 1st(Boston area). I am hoping she has that same approach.
Best of luck to you!
Colleen

Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

jodiejoey HB User

Houstonians,

She is in The Woodlands, north of Houston, and her name is Lezley Brown.

Jodie

Old 02-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

texanniew HB User

Thanks, I will check her out.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

jodiejoey HB User
Talking Re: Doctor Hope!!!!

OK, I went. The appointment didn't start off too good because I happened to have strep throat and some kind of chest congestion going on so we didn't even start talking thyroid until 10 minutes in. BUT, this lady gave me a good first impression. She is like a hyper-hypo-hippi (wait, I mean hyper-hypo as in the Saturday Night Live skit, like HYPERactive). And I liked that! I think we need more hyper-hypo-hippi doctors in this world

Anyway, from across the room she could see that my glands were swollen. She took TSH and free T4 and said she thought it sounded like it could be Hashimoto's but wasn't going to check antibodies yet. She said no matter what she would most likely start me on Armour in a week and we would adjust the dose as needed based on how I feel. Holy criminy, it is like a dream. After battling it out with so many doctors and feeling like they think I am crazy! She also told me we needed to talk diet and see what we could fix there. I am supposed to write down what I eat for three days in a row. I go back on Thursday to discuss that and the blood results. I will keep everybody, especially the Houstonians, up-to-date here.

Keep the hope,

Jodie

Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Good luck, Jodie!

I hope things go well. I live a few hours away from Houston and have tried two of the "top docs" over the past few years. One was no good, bad personality problem. The other was very thorough, just I don't tolerate meds, so I'm at a dead end. He did diagnose Hashimoto's.

I will wait to hear about your journey with this new doctor, as she sounds very promising. I may have to see her in the future if she works out well for you!

Karen

Closed Thread