It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

Homegurl HB User
Any theories on why so many people have thyroid problems?

Is it diet, environment, stress? I have had a CAT scan, I wonder how many people who have thyroid problems have had one also.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: Any theories on why so many people have thyroid problems?

Home:

I've done tons of research on this...because I had the SAME question.

Radiation and flouridation are really the big two if you ask me. That would also help to point out why, TD appears to run in families and why the older you get the more likely you are to develop it.

I think if it effected more men...this health disaster would have been addressed already. But..hey its target is "bored fat housewives," so its not important or even a sexy medical story.

Although...it appears Yeltsin and Napolean both had TD.

~S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

suem HB User

I was stable on thyroid med x 14 years. I had a head MRI IN jAN last year
and by June my levels went screwy. So I have wondered if that had any thing to do with it. suem

Old 02-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

This is strange to me but two women at my work were diagnosed with hypoT last spring, in August I was diagnosed with HypoT and just a couple of weeks ago another lady at my work was diagnosed with HypoT. Our work has been very stressful for the last two years. I work for the County in the property tax area and we integrated into a new computer system in December. It has been pure hell. Stress???

Old 02-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I say stress too!

Old 02-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

smileyk HB User

Interesting......I had postpartum, borderline Graves 5 yrs ago (went away)..then no problems....had a CAT scan in November...starting feeling yucky end of Dec. ....full blown Graves diagnosed about 3-4 weeks ago. (???) Yes...also agree with STRESS...especially with autoimmune TD.....aren't the majority autoimmune? Don't they say stress can cause flare-ups for all different autoimmune disorders?

Old 02-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

Cherry_Pie HB User

build up of toxins in the body, some areas have worse thyroid saturation, maybe because of their water supply, sitting infront ofa computer all day doesnt help either because the rays from the monitor are shooting straight at your thyroid.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Some of the causes theorized in Living Well With Autoimmune Disease ~

Nuclear exposure -- The fallout from nuclear testing in the western desert areas during the 1940s-1960s; and the recent patterns of thyroid illness clustered around nuclear power facilities.

Dietary factors -- wheat gluten intolerance appears to be on the upsurge, and it's a common trigger for AI diseases. Also, the overuse of soy is detrimental to thyroid function. Some experts feel that thyroid disease in those with a genetic predisposition is probably linked to the over-ingestion of iodine, and to fluoridated water supplies. (IMO, the use of plastics to store commercial food supplies probably contributes, too; plastics leach their estrogen-like chemicals into the food, and estrogen is a known enemy of thyroid function. I really wish more food was available packaged in glass.)

Prescription drugs (and illicit ones, as well) -- The number of so many drugs on the market means that more and more people take one or more on a daily basis. Their effect on thyroid is often either unknown or simply ignored.

The book lists other causes, and stress is mentioned. Although... I personally don't believe that stress alone causes it... Instead, I think it's probably a contributor, along with other certain conditions, to a chain of events which triggers disease.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I had a horrible car accident in 1989 and with it a head injury and torn pancrea's. I spent 9 weeks in the hospital and almost died. In order for the doc's to keep a watch on my pancrea's they did a CT almost every day. (When I got the bill it was for 67 CT scans) By 1992 I had Thyroid Cancer. (anyone surprised?) Sometimes I wonder if they needed to do quite that many CT's and if you add those to my other CT's for unrelated illness the number is around 75. Plus as a small child I had tons of dental xrays and no part of my body was ever protected as they do these days. Add Chest xrays and a broken bone or two to the mix and I can say with all confindence that I have had over 100 xray's by the time I was 30. (thats counting the CT's) I am not upset about the CT's though, the hospital that did them SAVED MY LIFE. I am glad though that I had already had my children at a young age, I don't have any idea if that many CT's would hurt the reproductive system. While talking about this though I would like to say this: Wear your seatbelt. If I had been wearing a seatbelt I would not have been injured that badly if at all.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I say stress, stress, stress and environmentral factors does it all. The water, fast foods, hydrogenated crap in everything we eat, perservatives, HUGE amounts of ionized salt in the American diet, pollution, paint, exhaust, bug sprays, cleaners, illicit drugs, prescription drugs....Im sure it all has its part....something our predecessors did not worry much about.

Gotta live the clean life....

Here's to the Leave it To Beaver days!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:26 AM   #11

diatron HB User

I'd vote for menopause, for women at least, and the fluctuating hormone levels--including thyroid hormones.
Better medical care so that more people are getting diagnoses and treatment.
Living longer so that more of us reach an age where body systems start to wear out or are not as efficient as they were when we were younger.
The Internet--now we can talk on line and find out more about our disease and realize how many of us there are.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I'm not certain thyroid problems can be attributed to specific things as each body reacts differently to outside factors. In my case, there is such a family history for thyroid disease, all kinds of it, that mine is more than likely familial. We can trace thyroid disease back 4 generations in my family. My aunt and I just recently did this. We suspect from stories we have been told that it goes back even further than that. Many of today's environmantal issues did not exist back then.

I would not doubt environmental problems and stress play a part though. Of couse all the things mentioned in previous posts are very relevent, especially our desire to eat out when so much iodized salt is put in everything.

So does pregnancy. Just look at all the women who develope a problem just after a birth.

It is also possible that thyroid problems went undiagnosed many years ago and were just written of as a general malayse because Dr.s didn't know then what they know now.

As far as I'm concerned, what caused mine is now secondary to treating it effectively. Getting Dr.s in general to take this as seriously as they should seems to be a real problem and to check out the free T4 and free T3s as they should. Way to many medical people seem to think a TSH test is the Holy Standard and it doesn't really tell much.

May God Bless and Keep Us All
Patience 50

Closed Thread