It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

mistya HB User
teeth marks on side of tongue

Is that a symptom of a thyroid problem?? Anyone else have this problem?? I especially notice it in the morning when I wake up. Thanks!
Misty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: teeth marks on side of tongue

It can be a hypoT symptom, but other things can cause it as well. Something as simple as biting on it during sleep, for example.
Severe hypoT, known as myxedema, will cause the tongue to markedly enlarge; therefore there isn't enough room for it in the mouth, causing the teeth to leave imprints.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #3

ohiobuckeye HB User

Yes. I had this for awhile. I mentioned it to my doctor that my tounge felt that it was too big for my mouth. It would rub against my teeth and leave indentations on the sides! It hurt too, by the way. He brushed it off saying he did not know what would cause that and thought it was crazy. I know that I had that symptom as it can't be ignored. Eventually, it went away but guess what--it comes back when my labs get bad as my thyroid continues to fail. I don't even mention it to my family practice Dr. anymore but I will mention it to my endo the next time I get it-which I hope that I don't anymore!

Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

afuji HB User

I have teeth marks too and yes, it does hurt. I also have pain underneath my tongue. It hurts A LOT when I talk a lot. Do you think this could be from the swelling?

Closed Thread