It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Are optimal lab ranges different for males and females?

Hi everyone. Are optimal lab ranges different for men and women? For example, I understand that the Free T3 results for women should be in the upper third of the lab range. Is this true for men also?

I would appreciate opinions on the following lab results for a male:

TSH .87 (.40-4.00)
Free T3 2.82 (1.50-4.10)
Free T4 1.50 (.80-1.90)

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: Are optimal lab ranges different for males and females?

Men are more in the middle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

How do you feel? Do you still have symptoms at this range?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Ticker, the optimal place for you will depend on how you feel. Your FT3 looks low still, but do you feel like you're lagging? Its all well and good that most people feel best with their FTs at a certain place w/in the range, but if you don't then it doesn't mean much. I feel better with my FT3 near the very top of the range, when it's just in the upper 3rd I still feel like crapola.

Nat

Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone.

These lab results are not mine but are from a male poster on another board. I believe his doctor prescribed Cytomel alone. He has many symptoms. His symptoms can be attributed to a thyroid disorder and/or another condition. I believe his symptoms are from both conditions and that he may benefit from thyroid treatment. Do you all agree?

Nat, my Free T3 is currently mid-range and I feel like crapola too! I saw a new doctor recently who prescribed Armour with Synthroid. I have only been taking them together for nine days. I know it is too soon to tell, but my guess is I will need an increase. When I was on the higher dose of Synthroid alone, my Free T3 was still right in mid-range. Which of your symptoms do think are worse when your Free T3 is not optimum for you?

Thank you all!

Old 02-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Ticker, my brain fog and all my mental faculties suffer when my FT3 is not high. I feel the legthargy and extreme exhaustion when FT4 is low. I monitor my BP, BBT and rising HR and it gives me a good idea of when I'll need an increase. I'm going in for blood work tomorrow and I think my time release T3 needs to be bumped up. I must say that since I've been receving B12 injections and my Vit D has been bumped up I feel a lot better with a little less thyroid, though.

Your friend appears to have a problem converting T4 to T3. It's possible, though, with low FT3 and higher / normalish FT4 that his problem might be adrenal related. Low levels of FT3 are often associated with high cortisol levels, due to chronic stress which fatigues the adrenals. If he's put on thyroid meds and he reacts poorly, or gets worse, you'll know the issue is adrenal related.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Nat, I will definitely pass this information on.

My mental faculties are really suffering right now. I also have extreme fatigue--feel like I am a walking dead zombie! I am very encouraged to know this should improve with the proper treatment. It cannot be soon enough.

How do you tell if you need Vitamin D? A blood test? Good luck with your blood tests tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Yes, a blood test is best for Vit D, the one that measures 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Levels should be above 45-50 ng/ml or 115-128 nmol/l for optimal health. Most of us are well below that. I'd been getting 800 IUs and my results were still well below that level (72 nmol/l). I've been on 1600 IUs for a month now and I feel better already. Dr. Mercola has some interesting info on Vit D if you go looking for it.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Nat

Old 02-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Gopherhead...

I can see you have mercola's site on your radar. I too have had my D tested and now sit under a vitamin d light when I'm at the computer.

What are you doing for your vitamin D intake?

~S

Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Soft, I'm on 1600 IUs D3, (and under a doctor's supervision for a few other things including nurotransmitter precursors, progesterone cream [can you say menopausal hormone levels at 38?], B12 injections [severely deficient] and some really hepped up values for Vit A, beta carotene, magnesium, selenium and B6). And I feel bloody amazing! I even managed to quit smoking - a miracle, quite honestly. Every time I tried in the past I got really sick; a la pre-thyroid hormones sick.

I found a very helpful article on Vit D (Recommended D Levels) with a chart showing the amount of D3 needed to reach the optimal level based on your test results. It was aimed at CFIDS/FM but the reference ranges apply to all. If you can pull it up it's chock full of good info.

My hubby suffers from SAD and with the 5HTP, tyrosine and increased Vit D he's like a new man; it would be freaky if it weren't such a good change

How's the light working for you?

Closed Thread