It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #1

CJBermuda HB User
Unhappy Enlarged Thyroid

Hello,

has anyone ever had an enlarged Thyroid. I was a hyper thyroid suffer and managed to control it for the past 3 years. I just had another ultrasound and have been doing fine. The Dr has just informed me that my thyroid is enlarged, but the TSH levels are ok.

I am not buying this, as my throat is swollen and it is getting hard to swallow and I feel dehydrated a little.

Anyone else every experience this?? and what were the treatments??

Any help would be comforting...

Last edited by CJBermuda; 02-14-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: Enlarged Thyroid

Have you had a thyroid scan lately?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

patti23 HB User

Hi,
I too have an enlarged thyroid. I've had this lump in my throat feeling for the past 1-1/2 yrs. My neck always feels swollen but doesn't look it. I had a couple of ultrasounds in the past 6 mos. The first said no nodules and the second one said 3 nodules. But all 3 only measure in mm's. My thyroid has grown 1-1/2 cms. on each lobe. I have my 1st endo appt. next week because my gp is concerned about the growth. All my bloodwork is in the "normal" range and I tested negative for antibodies. So he says I'm a mystery even though I alternate between hyper and hypo. It will be interesting to see what the endo tells me.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

My thyroid was enlarged to four times its normal size due to Hashimoto's disease. My blood work always showed "normal" other than the fine needle biopsy.
I ended up having it removed after unsuccessful levoxyl therapy to shrink it back.
Nodi

Old 02-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #5

CJBermuda HB User

Thanks all for the responses.

I recently had an ultrasound which showed my thryroid enlargement.

I also have headaches, nervousness, and chest pain.

If it still feels like this in a week. I will go back to my GP.

I am so scared, and do not know what to do!!!

I have not been on meds for 3 years and have been doing very well. I know that I have stress in mylife right now and that is probably the cause of it. I need to get back to my exercise and eat right. I was previosuly diagnosed as hyper.

I also spoke to my acupuncturist, who advised me to go back on my hebals for a while.

thanks

Last edited by CJBermuda; 02-15-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #6

CJBermuda HB User

Final Diagnosis:

Went and saw my regular GP about the Enlarged Thyroid that showed up on the ultrasound.

Because I lost my voice and had a really bad sore throad in early January, this is the reason for the enlarged thyroid. It is just irriated. I have been advised, to take it easy, get lot of rest, drink lots of water. It will take some time to settle down as I also have allergies.

I also had blood test - to check the Tsh levels.

Also, spoke to a very good friend who is Internal Medicine and she said that it will be unlikely to be thyroid cancer. I was going crazy over this because I have been doing so well.

So I am still doing very well. Just a little irritated....

thanks
Everyone for sharing...

Closed Thread