It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question Confused! Need some expert input!

Hi,

A little background on me. I started on Armour in OCt. 04- 1/4 grain and increased monthly. I am currently on 1 1/2 grains Armour. (I see a family doc. for my thryoid issues)

I had a 2nd opinion with an Endo today (got his name off a top doc list). He said that given my free t3 and t4 have been going down since I started the meds, that maybe they arent really working for me and that I perhaps dont need them at all. He said that most people see impovements with taking Armour, meaning their free t3 and t4 go up.

Has anyone experienced this trend in numbers and if so did you eventually level out with meds. Will there be an end to the dose increases, I feel like my free's keep getting worse. As you see in labs that my free's keep going down.

Here is a history of my labs: (what do you think?)

OCT. 2004

TSH 2.17 (0.40-5.50)
ft3 did not do
ft4 2.4 (1.4-3.8)

DEC. 2004

TSH 1.35 (0.35-5.5)
ft3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
ft4 .96 (0.61-1.76)

JAN. 2005

TSH 1.45
ft3 279 (230-420)
ft4 0.9 (0.8-1.8)

I am so confused now, I dont now if by taking Armour I am doing the right thing. I also have SVT (diagnosed 3yrs ago, at which point I was on Synthroid .025, I d/c synthroid and put on a beta blocker, which I have been of for alomost 2yrs. ----SO CONFUSED!!!!

Thanks for you help.
Beth

Last edited by nimbeth; 02-14-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: Confused! Need some expert input!

Nimby:

Just some random thoughts...so take with BIG bolder of salt.

The beta blocker may be interfering with the armour and the armour may just not be high enough dose. What are your symptoms like? Are you swamped with hypo symptoms. If you are chasing levels agains a dying a thyroid...you could get the exact story you are telling.

Any one else...have any input for Nimby.

~S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi Softcrush

I guess i was confusting in my post, when I was on the beta blocker that was after I had discontinued the synthroid per the cardiologist. Fast forward a couple of years, and here I am 1 1/2 grain Armour.

I have all the classic hypo symptoms, low body temp, cold, consitipation, tired, never feeling rested difficulty sleeping for long periods of time. sparse period (they have been getting better).

What do you mean when you chasing levels against a dying a thryoid. I never thought that I would need this much armour. I thought i would feel well by now!

Thanks
Beth

Old 02-15-2005, 05:52 AM   #4

diatron HB User

From what I've learned in the past few months by reading these boards, it looks like you may need to add some T4 medication to your Armour dose since your FT4 is barely in range. I've read that many people need to do that to feel well and alleviate thier symptoms. But it looks like your Free T3 is also too low so I'd suggest an increase in your Armour before you tweak the T4.

Last edited by diatron; 02-15-2005 at 05:54 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks- anyone else have any ideas!!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

Looks to me like the dose is not high enough also.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Beth your FTs still look quite low; they haven't changed much from December, in fact they've slipped a little.

Nat

Old 02-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
(female)

nimbeth HB User

It is possible that I could need this much armour, I dont think my labs to begin with were that bad, I never thought it would be this much Armour. This doctor is making me question wether I really needed thryoid replacement.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Based on those numbers you need thyroid hormones, Beth.

Your dose is not that high either; it's possible you need only a little more.

Are you taking supplements? Like Vit D, selenium, the Bs and magensium? Have you had your other hormones checked? (estradiol, progesterone, DHEA) If you have too little of any of them, if your vit D is low, you can still feel awful even with enough thyroid meds - balance between all the hormones is necessary to feel really great.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

One and a half grains isn't a high dose. The average full replacement dose is 2 grains. Some women need more. Large, muscular men often need much more.
I wouldn't let that endo talk me out of Armour. His agenda probably includes a synthetic. I don't need to go into how often that treatment plan fails, do I?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #11
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks you guys-

I am really bad about taking supplements. I take when I remember a Mag., Calcium (sometimes Viactiv) and Selenium 70mcgs. I did have my estradiol, it came back normal, I will ask for those other hormones to be checked you mentioned, DHEA, and progesterone. I will stick with my original doctor. he is very open minded.

So would you say that it is "normal" when your free's go down until you reach that right dosage?

thanks, I feel a little more at ease!

Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Bethy:

When you have a thryoid gland...and its dying, your replacement dose will go up. It just means you need more hormone. I'm only just over 100 pounds, have no thryoid. I take 127 mgs of Armour and 37.5 mcg Synthroid. That is a solid amount for someone my size. I'm still tweaking..but I know I'm close.

You say that you are an on-the go type. That alone may make you need more than the average couch potato. You just burn it more quicker and that is a good thing.

A good diet and supplements, and excersize are critical to your restoring your energy. Sounds like you are thinking about a lot of the right stuff.

I wouldn't be afraid to add more hormone there though...Diatron gave some good advice there.

~S

Old 02-16-2005, 05:11 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

I would just give it a little time and see what happens. Like I said, mine went up and I didn't change my dosage at all. My Doctor was not willing to give me anymore and I felt better so I was ok with it. When you FEEL better without looking at the numbers for guidance, then just give your body time enough to catch up. It took me almost a year.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Another small consideration is the season. Cold weather makes more demands on the thyroid & more thyroid hormone is needed. Some people show the seasonal variation in their labs ...

Lor

Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #15

KBT's mom HB User

HI Nimbeth! At one time in a previous post you were having trouble losing weight. Just curious - has the increase in meds helped with this yet? Are you feeling better even though the numbers aren't better yet?
Good Luck!

Closed Thread