It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Armour Question-Replacement amount!

Hi,,

I was just wondering if there was an average dosage replacement for Amour. Does anyone now what that is???

Thanks
Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User
Re: Armour Question-Replacement amount!

Everyone is different, but I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that said most people who take Armour take a dosage of between 1.5 to 2 grains. I don't know if that's true or not, but I fit in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Miper-

How long did it take you to get to that dose? Did your free's go down with each increase in meds. Did your free's eventually go up? I am so confused now as I posted my question in a previous post. I had a 2nd opinion with a Endo, (my doc. that prescribed Armour is Family Doc.) he said that given blood work it appears when I started I had normal TSH and lowish Free's. Now that I am on Armour since Oct. 04, my free's have been getting worse. Is this common during treatment? The endo says that most people feel better with each dose increment, but in my case my free's are getting lower. During treatment their have been periods when I felt good, only to worse again, I have read from the boards that this normal, only indicating a dose increase. The endo I saw, I got his name from a top doc list. This endo is suggesting that I dont really need Armour to begin with because my free's are getting better.

What do you think? I have been on 1 1/2 grains now for a week and half hopefully this amount will do the trick!

Thanks
Beth

Old 02-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

You have no idea how much this sounds like me. I'm going to try this off the top of my head instead of looking at my labwork, so it may be a little off. I was diagnosed in early 03 and put on Synthroid and Cytomel. I hated it, so I went on Armour in October 03. I started (I think) at 1/2 grain and every two-three weeks went up 1/2 grain until I got to 2 grains. At that time, the Endo I was seeing was an idiot and only did TSH and Free T4. My TSh was suppressed and the T4 was low, but he said I was hyper. I told him no way and refused to come off of the meds. He told me he would give me a couple of months and see what my bloodwork looked like. In the meantime, I had my TSH, and both Free numbers checked myself with Healthcheck and realized my T4 was really low. I ordered some Synthroid online and started taking it myself. I also found a new Endo and fired the old one. WHen I went in, I told him what I had done and he actually commended me for knowing to do it. My free numbers were still low and my TSH was suppressed at an all time low of .004. He was scared, but decided to keep me on the same dose I was taking. Almost a year later, when we (the Endo and I) had decided that there was probably a pituitary problem and we were to start looking for it, my free numbers jumped up to where they should be and have been there ever since with no change at all from me. I don't even take selenium or anything like that.

How can he say your frees are getting better if they are getting lower? That's not how it works. I questioned really needing supplements also. But think about this. If your body didn't need it, you would be hyper right now, not hypo. It will get better. 90% of my days are great now. I rarely have bad ones anymore. I used to worry about eating an hour before I took my meds and making sure I didn't take this or that around my meds, but when I quit worrying about it, everything got better. Funny how life works.

Were you diagnosed with Hashis or ever had you antibodies cecked?

Old 02-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

I thought the same way, that if I did not need the meds I would be hyper, not the case at all! What test did they do for you pititurary, to find out if it was not working properly?

Yes I have had my antibodies, they were negative, less than 2. Although, the doctor ordered the antibody test again, along with Free's and tsh as usual. I will go for that blood test again in couple of weeks. I keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your support! again and again! I know I and doing the right thing!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

I never went for any kind of adrenal or pituitary testing because just as we were about to start, my free numbers came up to where they should be. It was like everyhthing just caught up to itself. I think it just takes a while for your body to straighten out, especially if it's been screwed up for a while. How long have you had symptoms?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi Miper,

Thats good to hear, that your free's came up just like that! Hopefully that will happen with me. These last few days I have had more energy and body temp is up. Althought I have quite a bit more water retention lately. It seems that maybe as my free's have gone down that water retention and bloating have gotten worse, could that be possible?

How long before your symptoms went away once your free's came up?

Thanks
Beth

Old 02-18-2005, 04:48 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

Actually, my symptoms got much better before the numbers actually came up. That's one reason he didn't mess with the dose. I would just hang tight.....maybe take an OTC water pill and hopefully very soon you'll be feeling much better. DO you drink enough water? I'm sure you've heard it all before, but what keeps my water retention down is the fact that I drink close to a gallon of water a day. You don't have to drink that much, but 6-8 glasses would help.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
(female)

nimbeth HB User

My doctor prescribed a mild diruetic, which i take when I really need it. But it seems as if the body just goes back to holding onto the water. I am going to make an effort to drink a gallon water. A couple months ago before meds, i was working out with a trainer following a diet of eating 6 meals day, carb/protein/fat at each meal. And he had me drink a gallon of water only. I tend to drink a lot of crstal light, do you think that would count as water?

How long have you been on meds, has it been a "bumpy road" for you? Did you have a weight problem, and if so has it gotten better with treatment?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I like to hopeful storries of success!

Old 02-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

I've always been heavy, but not too bad because I carry my weight well......UNTIL they took off meds to do a scan in August of 03 and I gained 35 lbs. in 6 weeks. That put me over the 200 mark. I have been working on it ever since and have finally started losing. I made up my mind that I was going to do it starting Jan. and to date have lost 15 lbs so far. I guess that means my metabolism isn't as screwed up as I thought it was. It was my eating habits that were screwed up. LOL!!!!

I've been on Armour/Synthroid since October 2003. I felt better withing 6-8 months and now feel much, much better. It just takes time. Everyone told me that too, and I thought to myself " I can't wait that long", but time flies and before you know it, you feel a whole lot better. Just thank God that you have a Doctor that prescribes Armour. Think about these poor souls out here who can't get it. I feel for them.

Ok, just weighd....down 17 pounds now. YIPPEE!!!!

Old 02-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Good for you Miper, glad that you are able to lose weight, that's GReat! Its a struggle for me, I only want to lose about 20lbs, but I would be happy with losing 10lbs. From what I have read weightloss does not happen until your free's are in a good range.

Closed Thread