It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

patti23 HB User
progesterone and goiter

Hi everyone,
Just a question for all the females out there. Does anyone know if a female has low progesterone if this can cause your thyroid to enlarge? And if you have heard this, how is it treated? Considering that the enlargement is causing discomfort. Especially if all thyroid bloodwork appears to be in the "normal" range.

Many thanks
Patti

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: progesterone and goiter

According to the late Dr. John Lee, low progesterone can be a factor in hypothyroidism. The goiter isn't caused directly by low progesterone; low progesterone is a contributor to estrogen dominance, and that causes hypoT. The struggling gland then enlarges in an attempt to keep up with body's demand for thyroid hormone. Supplemental thyroid hormone often can shrink the goiter by relieving the gland of some or all of its duty.
Thyroid test results that are merely "within range" are frequently not so "normal". For many women, T4 and T3 levels in the lower half ("low-normal") of the range cause symptoms. Trouble is, the majority of mainstream doctors are unwilling to treat at this stage, and patients suffer for it.

You can post your test results and ranges for opinions, if you care to.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-15-2005 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I'd be careful with 'normal' as it applies to thyroid, Patti. As Midwest pointed out, what's normal for you and what's normal for me might not be the same. If your doctor is just going by TSH then the "normal" result is even more suspect.

And yes, low progesterone can further exacerbate low thyroid function. You need both progesterone and vit D for thyroid to function optimally. When one is off you can expect the others to be out of balance.

Nat

Old 02-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

patti23 HB User

Thanks for the replies. 5 years ago I was told that I did not produce enough progesterone and started taking the synthetic. A year and a half ago, I had to switch drs. for insurance purposes and this ob/gyn took me off of it. Since then I have developed this lump in my throat and my thyroid used to measure R 1.5 x 1.8 x 4.2 and L 1.5 x 1.4 x 3.9 It now measures R 2.1 x 1.5 x 5.6 and L 1.5 x 1.8 x 5. I've developed 3 nodules but they only measure in mm's. I have symptoms of hyper and hypo which I'm sure could be periomenopause.

Labs in Dec were
tsh .56 .4 - 5.50
t4 free 1.2 .8 - 1.8
t3 total 131 60 - 181
negative for antibodies

I have my first endo appt. next week. Any thoughts? Anything I should ask her in particular? I have no idea what to expect.

thanks
Patti

Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Just want to add, if you go back on progesterone get the natural one at a compounding pharmacy instead of a synthetic.
And, your free T4 is a bit low, should be more like 1.5

Closed Thread