It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Question vitamins and hypo

Can anyone give me a list of the vitamins and minerals which I can take which will help the hypo symptoms. I know that selenium is one, but I've forgotten the others. Thanks much.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Re: vitamins and hypo

Hi Corsette2,

My Dr. has me on DHEA and CoQ10 as well. I have a list of other things too but they are to help with other problems such as Omega 3 oil capsules for heart health. I can't tell U which specific brands but I find all of these, in the brand my Dr. recommends at the local wallyworld. I'm sure you could find them at most drug stores as well. I have recently read two articles, one in a newspaper and one in a health magazine that says many Dr.s are prescribing the DHEA to patients hitting middle age. Hope this helps.

May God Bless and Keep Us All
Patience 50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Vit D is vital for your thyroid hormone to work well. Vit D isn't really a vitamin, but a steroid hormone and it helps both thyroid and progesterone express themselves. If you haven't got enough of one of the 3 then the others will be affected. You can have the perfect thryoid dose, the right number for you, and not feel good if your progesterone and vit D are not optimal. You need all 3 at the right levels.

Vit D should be D3, and not D2 (ergocalciferol). Doses of 1000 iu. of D3 have been show to be safe and effective, and necessary unless you live in a very sunny (year round) climate.

B12 is another one that is important, in that too little can make you feel like you're dragging and can cause you to think your thyroid is to blame. It takes about 3000 mcgs of B12 to get 1-2% absorption, and if you're someone who has difficulty making Intrinsic Factor (made in the gut and necessary to absorb b12) then you wont be absorbing even that much and injections are required.

While not a vitamin, you should have you ferritin checked - too little iron can mimic hypothyroidism, and is often caused by hypothyroidism.

Nat

Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Thanks so much. I'm going to go out and get some D3 today! I've been taking calcium that has some D in it, but it may not be enough.

I've also been on B complex 50, C (1000 mg) and E (400 iu) and selenium (200 iu) for quite a while so I was wondering if I was missing something else. Really appreciate the info!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I didn't want to list all of the ones I take but included in my list is a super B complex suppliment that has all 3 Bs in it. I also take cranberry extract supplement for my tendency to hold water and swell up. The acidopholus supplements help with regularity which has been an ongoing problem as well. This one also helps stave off UTIs and yeast infections. Also thrown into the mix is Ester C. I think U know what vitamin C is for. I use the ester because I have a problem with acid. I hope this all helps you some. I can tell you that I feel much better on the Super B Complex than I do off of it. I have gone off just to see what it would do and each time I tried it only took a few days before I felt a little sluggish again. I guess that's why Dr.s give Vitamin B shots for general fatigue.

Patience 50

Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Good discussion!

I have had trouble finding a b-complex I can stomache. What should I look for in one that will agree with me?

Any ideas?

~S

Old 02-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Boy, that's a hard one to call. I take a super B complex with all 3 Bs in it and folic acid. I always take mine with a meal. Most things do well with a half sandwich or salad. Have you tried taking it will food at all? Good luck. I hope you can find one that you can take so you know if it can help you.

Patience 50

Old 02-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Patience:

Yes...I take quite a few supplements with food without trouble. The super B is the toughey. I'll keep working it I suppose. One day I'll find one that I can take.

Thanks for you reply!

~S

Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Shell6273 HB User

Hi all,
Question - now that I had my thryoid removed (1/25/05) are there any particular vitamins that I should be taking. I am only taking my synthroid .300 mcgs. I dont see the endo until March 7th and I am still feeling tired all the time. Thanks!
Michelle

Old 02-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

First off, I would think VERY strongly about taking Armour with/synthetic. I was put on 100 percent Synthroid right after surgery and have been going through hell since.

I do wish you the best, and I hope you will not have the same troubles, but I do think it might be helpful to check into it.

You are likely not feeling the full effects of hypo hell yet. It takes about a month. By the time it catches up..you may not be in a positon to fight for yourself. Please think about this NOW.

The doctors never took me seriously....even when I was clearly in very bad shape.

Now..I take mostly Armour with some synthetic thrown in, and feel the best I have felt in 11 months

I take a muliti-vitamin, energy capsules, magnesium, coq10, calcium and fish oil pills. YUM!

~S

Last edited by softcrush; 02-16-2005 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi softcrush,

I'm not sure what energy capsules translate to but if they help you feel good and function that is what counts. I take all the individual stuff because standard multivitamins constipate me. Doesn't seem to matter what brand, or what variety. Dr.s have no explanation for it so I just take what I feel I need separately. The vitamins include super B complex with folic acid and niacin, vitamin E, Ester c. Other supplements include calcuim with vit D, magnesium, glucosomine/chondroiten, concentrated salmon oil capsules (omega 3s ), coQ10, DHEA, Cranberry extract, acidopholus, and selenium. I only take the selenium a couple of times a week though because when I take it every day I seem to suffer from insomnia.

All these except the selenium have been recommended by my PCP. I seem to be doing very well on them so I will continue. I know exactly what U mean about the fishey ones too. Still, if they help, one can't argue.

The one I found makes the most difference with my energy level though is the B complex. If I run out and go a week or more all I want to do is lay around. I think we all have to just experiment a bit and see what works for us. One may need more of one thing and not much or none of something else.

Patience 50

Old 02-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush
I have had trouble finding a b-complex I can stomache. What should I look for in one that will agree with me? Any ideas? ~S
Have you tried sublingual B vitamins? There are drops & also dissolvable tablets that are quite pleasant to take ... less potent than a B50, but they are absorbed quickly & can be repeated as needed throughout the day.

The sublinguals don't upset the stomach as some of the stronger B tabs do.

Lor

Old 02-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Elmar:

Great suggestion! I'll look into the sublingual B.

Thanks a million.

Patience:

Yeah...to tell you the truth I don't know how many B-s there are in my energy capsule. I'll have to write to the maker to find out!

Sounds like you got quite the program there! Good for you. I can appreciate the seperation. I tried a calcium pill at one time, but switched to another one that didn't upset the tummy so much. Now...I can take it every day without trouble.

Yes...my research indicates the B is REALLY important for energy. So...I shall keep up the fight for the B!

~S

Old 02-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I do have a regimine for myself. I have worked out even the times of the day when I should take them to feel good. I just want to mention something additional about calcium supplements. It has pretty much been proven, according to what I have read and what my Dr.s have all told me, that in order for calcium to be absorbed into the system it needs both vitamin D and magnesium. So truthfully, I take 2 or 3 of a popular antacid that has the mix in it. I save money buying the one over the three and I am certain it works because while I have some osteoarthritits, I have very strong bones according to bone density tests. Ask your Dr. about it or do some research on calcium needs, calcium absorbtion, and suppliments to see what you turn up. I think you will find that in the antacid mixture you will not have stomach trouble either with the calcuim because the magnesium helps it to be absorbed and aids with other digestion too.

Patience 50

Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

Hi patience 50

I was wondering what the Cranberry extract was for if you don't mind me asking?

Closed Thread