It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #1

adevin HB User
Thyroid and Testosterone Levels

I wanted to run something by you guys. I was at a new endo today (3rd one) and she seemed nice enough. ANyhow one of my biggest complaints of being Hashi / Hypo is the fact that I have had minimal energy level at all times. With working as much as I do the stress level tends to take its toll.

Anyhow the question I had is my Endo things their might be a link between my Thyroid and my Testosterone levels, which is causing this extreme lack of energy!

I get my tests tomorrow morning and should know something a bit later in the week. Any of the gentlemen on this board ever go down this road and what was found???

Thanks, And this board is great, It gives me hope reading all of the stories that someday my energy levels and normal levels will be achieved.

The Following User Says Thank You to adevin For This Useful Post:
joec (12-31-2011)
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Thyroid and Testosterone Levels

I can see how there would be a relationship between them; all your hormones should be in balance for optimal health. I know for women, having high levels of estrogen and low levels of progesterone greatly influence how well your thyroid hormones work (or more aptly, don't work). I also know that having one hormone out of balance can cause others to be so as well, for women the 3 are thyroid, vit D and progesterone.

With respect to testosterone the ratio of cortisol:testosterone is important. Chronic stress, such as being hypothyroid often wreaks havoc with coritsol levels, which would effect the cotisol:testosterone ratio.

I would be surprized if your testosterone came back OK. BTW, did they test free testosterone? It's similar to thyroid hormones (all hormones actually) that free levels are more accurate for making diagnoses.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #3

adevin HB User
Re: Thyroid and Testosterone Levels

Nat,

I appreciate the train of thought. IJ have had this condition going on about a year now, and I am hopeful that with the tests and what not, I can get some of my energy. The one thing we all need to remember is that if we believe we are getting better we can all do alot more then we ever think we could.

Well thanks for the quick reply.

Closed Thread