It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #1

CJBermuda HB User
Has anyone tried herbal meds

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried herbal meds for their thyroid.

I have had an enlarged thyroid for approx 1 week. I talked to my acupuncturist who advised that I go back on the herbal meds.

Well, a few hours later. My nervous feeling, anxious and swollen throat have all gone away. Infact, I feel relaxed....

But I have also been exercising a bit as well...

Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Re: Has anyone tried herbal meds

Specifically which herbal med are you referring to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

There are many out there that are suppose to be good and I have heard claims that people do well on them but I'm a bit skeptical. From what I understand the herbal formulas stimulate your thyroid to produce more hormone, but if your thyroid is failing it will get to a point where it will no longer produce hormone no matter how much you stimulate it and then you will have to be on replacement hormone.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Hi, Have you been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder? It is a fact that someone with cancer of the parathyroid glands if they rub at their throat (stimulating the gland) it can cause the cancer to GROW. I would do nothing with the herbalists ect... until I had a diagnosis from a MD. I know that I have a MD phobia as do many of us but they can order the necessary tests that we need. I hate to sound so negative about this because I do believe that there are situations that these acupucturists and herbalists are very helpful. I also do not want to scare you. I just keep remembering the time when I had a lump in my throat and a stiff neck, to make a long story short I went to a Chiropractor who after doing xrays assured me he could make the lump go AWAY. I felt uncomfortable with that and went to Ear/Nose and Throat surgeon and found out I had a agressive type of pappillary Cancer. I really do hate to be that negative and what I had WAS very RARE, but please check out the problem with a Reg Md or DO first.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:08 AM   #5

CJBermuda HB User

I wash diagnosed with hyper thyroid 3 years ago. I have been on tapazole and beta blockers for less than a year. My thyroid condition improved in record time. Along with a proper diet of lots of green vegetables, plenty of exercise and acupuncture. Once I was off the tapazole and beta blockers for approx 3 months. I started to take the herbs. I have been fine ever since. I just had a little stress that caused me to have an enlarged thyroid. So after a few days of back into exercise, eating right and back on my herbs I am fine.

No one can scare me, because I do a lot of research and reading on this subject and I see a Dr regularly.

I was just merely asking to see if anyone had used herbal meds because I hear so many folks talking a western medicines.....

Old 02-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Good I have no problem with a well informed person who is also under the care of a MD or DO trying herbals, in fact I have tried a few myself. what I do hate to see however, is a person on here that because they have say... gained some weight assume they have a thyroid disorder and instead of getting a diagnosis they go straight for the herbal solutions. Maybe some of the people that herbals have WORKED for, will speak up. The only thing close to working for me, was not really for hypo or hyper, it was Melatonin for sleep and it works much better than any sleeping med I have ever taken. So sorry if I upset you.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Here's something I have found out....I have seen a naturopath/herbologist/iridologist, he has practiced for many many years, in fact he looks to be in his 50's but is actually in his 70's. Anyway, he said it is possible to heal the thyroid, but, you have to have the body in the righ constitution. The thyroid is not fed if the PH is below 6.5, when you get the PH above 6.5 it is fed and works and then the herbal remedies work, even kelp will work. He says that if the body is acidic the kelp can make the thyroid condition worse and if the PH is balanced that kelp and other herbal remedies will help.

Its very interesting yet I'm a bit skeptical since all we ever hear and read is no kelp, herbs only work a short while etc, but he maintains you can get by without meds and that he has treated people with Hashi's who are doing fine now without meds and are only taking herbal suppliments and kelp.

Benzi, any thoughts on this??

Old 02-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #8

CJBermuda HB User
Smile Re: Has anyone tried herbal meds

I have been off the tapazole for over 3 years now. I do not keep up with the meds, maybe 1 -3 per week if that. I do however, exercise, eat lots of green vegetables, eat salmon - omega 3 fatty acids. STay away from fast food, drink lots of juice and water.

My acupuncturists feels that thyroid problems are all stress related symptoms. I can agree, because I have had some real stressful moments lately, but have taken control of them and my health... and I feel better already..

I think a lot of the time we look for a Dr to solve our problems, but we need to look at ourselves and what is going on in our lives which may be an explanation for the problems in our health........

Benzi, you did not upset, me maybe I was not clear on my progress....

Old 02-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Well as a thyroid cancer patient and person without a thyroid at all. had TT in 1992 none of those things will help me. But if I had Hashis or Graves I might try the acupuncture. My thyroid cancer was caused by radiation exposure. (proven fact). I can tell you one thing though I have from time to time went on a NO SUGAR/NO Caffine, high veg., low protein diet and it was like a miracle, my thyroid meds never got off track. I also walked between 5 and 7 miles per day. (I should try that again). By the way, I had PH checked it was 6.9. I also, while walking that much did not ever feel stressed. I had to stop the exercise because of a car accident but will be back at it soon I hope.

Closed Thread