It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #1

botteki HB User
Switched from Synthroid to Levothyroxine

This morning I made the switch.

I'm a little concerned because I felt stabilized with my current regimine.

I figured, though, that if I'm going to be on this medicine the rest of my life, I should try to regulate with the generic. Over the years, the financial difference could really add up. Still, I'm a little afraid.

When first going on Synthroid, and then with an increase in the dosage, I experienced massive hair loss both times. Massive. For example.

Has anyone else had any experience with a switch to levothyroxine?

Also, can we take guafenesine (cough expectorant) while on thyroid replacement?

Thanks all.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #2

Eeyore22 HB User
Re: Switched from Synthroid to Levothyroxine

As a fellow Synthroid user I'll be interested to see how you make out with the switch. I'm not convinced I'm on the right med...

Anyhoo - as for the cough medicine - check with the pharmacist or your doctor's office but when I called mine he said I could take whatever I wanted that the warning for thyroid disease was for those that are hyperthyroid. I find those cold medicines tend to make me feel shakey, like I've had too much caffeine - which I gave up in May and have a lot fewer headaches might I add...

Good luck,
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

KarenMorris HB User

I switched from Synthroid to levothyroxine and it really didn't do much for me. I was on .175 mg of Synthroid and they switched me to .175 of levothyroxine. After 3 months, I felt like crap. My TSH went from .28 to 1.92 and my Free T3 had dropped from 330 to 241 (Range 230 - 420). I do not know if it was just the switch that did it or if I have other issues (like my Hashimoto's flared or something), but in December, I had them switch me to Levoxyl .175 mg. I figured at least that way I would get the same "generic" each time (Aetna considered Levoxyl to be generic).

Old 02-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #4

diatron HB User

My pharmacy switched me to Levothyroxine late last year from Synthroid. The generic was made by Sandoz. It caused my ankles to swell and I felt a little anxious. I think it was probably a bit more potent at 100 mcg than the Synthroid. The next month I switched back and all of the untoward symptoms went away.

I too was concerned with the cost over a lifetime of taking these medicines since my co-pay is $35 for name brand and only $10 for generics. I would have probably tried a generic again once I get near the optimum dose, just for cost reasons, although since I switched to Armour it was only $1.41 for a month's supply, so I probably won't. If you do switch, please make sure that you get the same generic manufacturer's drug each time you get a refill. I would think that each manufacturer would be consistent with their own meds but changing to any different manufacturer would give you a slightly different dosage.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #5

Its Megan HB User

The pharmacy messed up and gave me generic one time and it made me feel really awful and sick!

Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 AM   #6

botteki HB User

Thank you for your replies.

It's been over a week now and I feel fine.

I have had no noticeable hair loss. Yeah!

I was getting a chest cold at the time of the switch, so I have had some malaise. I have been taking Mucinex to try to help it along.

Nontheless, so far so good.

If the floor falls out from under me, I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread