It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User
Synthroid Increase - How long before it takes effect?

Hi,

I started taking a higher dose of Synthroid a few days ago (switched from 112 mcg to 125 mcg). My endo said to give it 3 weeks to take effect, but I think I'm starting to feel better already. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

LT

Old 03-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Synthroid Increase - How long before it takes effect?

Yes, it's possible to feel the effects of T4 that soon, if you need it. I know when I was given a mere 25mcgs I noticed it right away, because my FT4 was so low.

It will, however, take a full 6 weeks before you feel the full effects of any increase in T4, LT.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Hi, Nat-

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad to know that the effects I'm feeling (decreased fatigue and brain fog) are not imagined. I'm also happy to hear that I might feel even better in 5+ weeks.

When I started seeing a new endo, he put me on Cytomel (in addition to my Synthroid). I felt soooo much better in terms of energy and clarity of thought, but it aggravated my pre-existing IBS to the extent that I became apartment-bound. I'm now back with my old endo, and she increased the Synthroid after my latest labs showed low thyroid levels. I'm still dealing with my IBS (which is a big problem for me), but at least I have hope that my Hashi's/Hypo might finally be under control.

How are you feeling, BTW?

Thanks again,

LT

Old 03-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

LT, I am feeling like a new woman! It's amazing what finding the right doctor can do!

Sorry to hear about your IBS - that truly sucks. My DH used to have Crohn's (used to... he still has it but we've managed to put him in remission by avoiding all gluten) so I know how devastating it can be.

I wonder why the cytomel aggravted your IBS? Increased metabolism maybe? or something in the cytomel? I sure hope it wasnt the former - wouldnt want it coming back when you increase your synthroid!

Nat

Old 03-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Nat,

I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing! That's great!

I think the straight T3 in the Cytomel was too much for my system to handle, and my weak stomach took the brunt of it. I, too, hope the increased Synthroid won't pose similar problems.

I'm on a no-fat (i.e., no fun ) diet right now while the IBS is so bad.

Thanks again,

LT

Old 03-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

LT, have you looked into a lower carb diet for your IBS? I know it sounds strange, but it's something that has helped a huge number of people who have this cope. It's not the fiber that seems to mess with them, it's the simple carbs.

Nat

Old 03-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
(female)

Canuck01041104 HB User

I just logged on to this very informative site. Had right lobe thyroidectomy in April 2002. It was a large tumour which turned out to be benign. On Jan 7th of this year, I had the remainder of my thyroid removed because it was discovered last summer that I had multiple nodules on it. My Endo has been monitoring it, and this past Nov I had another ultra sound on it which showed a nodule that hadn't been there on the previous study. Followed with a needle biopsy which showed abnormal cells. Encouraged to undergo the surgery again to get the remaining thyroid out. It came back as Papillary Cancer. After 6 long weeks of waiting and coming off my Synthroid on Feb 7th, I had the initial small dose of radioactive iodine on Feb 23rd followed by a body scan Feb 25th, which thankfully came back clear. I recently underwent the RAI 131 treatment on Mar 1st and having another total body scan on Mar 8th. I'm experiencing a sore throat now, it feels very irritated and my voice has gone so low and gravily! Is this normal? Also, becoming very hypo over the past few weeks caused many wonderful side effects, one being pretty constant muscle pain on the left side of my chest, shoulder and bicep. Again, have any of you experienced this? I started back on my Synthroid this morning and already the pain in my chest is disappearing? Was this psychosymatic, stress related, or a true hypo side effect? Sorry for all the questions!

Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
(female)

Canuck01041104 HB User

Also, just so you know, due to this chronic like chest pain, I did have a chest x-ray and CT w/o contrast recently done and both were clear. Also my EKG was good.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck01041104
Also, becoming very hypo over the past few weeks caused many wonderful side effects, one being pretty constant muscle pain on the left side of my chest, shoulder and bicep.
Welcome, Canuck! I've experienced this symptom of hypothyroidism. I think it is a true side effect. Hopefully, this symptom will lessen (or better yet, disappear) once your thyroid levels are back to where they should be.

LT

Old 03-06-2005, 03:38 AM   #10
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
LT, have you looked into a lower carb diet for your IBS? I know it sounds strange, but it's something that has helped a huge number of people who have this cope. It's not the fiber that seems to mess with them, it's the simple carbs.

Nat
Nat,

I'm so confused about what I should be eating. I have a book called "Eating for IBS" which was recommended to me by my former gastroenterologist (who has since left her practice). The diet is very carb-heavy (and low to no fat). I've been trying to follow this diet until my stomach feels better. My endo, however, says that I need to be eating a low carb diet (because my latest labs confimed Type 2 Diabetes). She recommended Phase 2 of The South Beach Diet. I don't know what to do.

I have an appointment with the gastro on Wednesday and my internist on Thursday. I will then make an appointment with a nutritionist and (hopefully) get this all sorted out.

Thanks again for your help, Nat.

LT

Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
(female)

Canuck01041104 HB User

Thank you for the feedback, its encouraging.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck01041104
I just logged on to this very informative site. Had right lobe thyroidectomy in April 2002. It was a large tumour which turned out to be benign. On Jan 7th of this year, I had the remainder of my thyroid removed because it was discovered last summer that I had multiple nodules on it. My Endo has been monitoring it, and this past Nov I had another ultra sound on it which showed a nodule that hadn't been there on the previous study. Followed with a needle biopsy which showed abnormal cells. Encouraged to undergo the surgery again to get the remaining thyroid out. It came back as Papillary Cancer. After 6 long weeks of waiting and coming off my Synthroid on Feb 7th, I had the initial small dose of radioactive iodine on Feb 23rd followed by a body scan Feb 25th, which thankfully came back clear. I recently underwent the RAI 131 treatment on Mar 1st and having another total body scan on Mar 8th. I'm experiencing a sore throat now, it feels very irritated and my voice has gone so low and gravily! Is this normal? Also, becoming very hypo over the past few weeks caused many wonderful side effects, one being pretty constant muscle pain on the left side of my chest, shoulder and bicep. Again, have any of you experienced this? I started back on my Synthroid this morning and already the pain in my chest is disappearing? Was this psychosymatic, stress related, or a true hypo side effect? Sorry for all the questions!
Canuck, sorry I don't know much about RAI - you might want to post this as it's own thread - you'd get more replies.

Nat

Old 03-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTeaching
I'm so confused about what I should be eating. I have a book called "Eating for IBS" which was recommended to me by my former gastroenterologist (who has since left her practice). The diet is very carb-heavy (and low to no fat). I've been trying to follow this diet until my stomach feels better. My endo, however, says that I need to be eating a low carb diet (because my latest labs confimed Type 2 Diabetes). She recommended Phase 2 of The South Beach Diet. I don't know what to do.
LT, I would suggest perhaps doing a little research on a diet called The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which has been designed to help people with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, IBS and Celiac disease. This is an excerpt from their organization:
Of all dietary components, carbohydrates have the greatest influence on intestinal microbes (yeast and bacteria) which are believed to be involved in intestinal disorders. Most intestinal microbes require carbohydrates for energy. The SCD works by severely limiting the availability of carbohydrates to intestinal microbes. When carbohydrates are not digested, they are not absorbed. They remain in the intestinal tract, thus encouraging microbes to multiply by providing food for them. This can lead to the formation of acids and toxins which can injure the small intestine. Once bacteria multiply within the small intestine, they can destroy the enzymes on the intestinal cell surface, preventing carbohydrate digestion and absorption. At this point, production of excessive mucus may be triggered as the intestinal tract attempts to "lubricate" itself against the irritation caused by the toxins, acids, and the presence of incompletely digested and unabsorbed carbohydrates.

The SCD is based on the principle that specifically selected carbohydrates requiring minimal digestion are well absorbed, leaving virtually nothing for intestinal microbes to feed on. As the microbes decrease due to lack of food, their harmful by-products also diminish. No longer needing protection, the mucus producing cells stop producing excessive mucus and carbohydrate digestion is improved. The SCD corrects malabsorption, allowing nutrients to enter the bloodstream and be made available to the cells of the body, thereby strengthening the immune system's ability to fight. Further debilitation is prevented, weight can return to normal, and ultimately there is a return to health.

The SCD was developed by Dr. Sydney Valentine Haas, and is described in his book, "The Management of Celiac Disease". Elaine Gottschall's daughter was saved by the SCD, causing Elaine to further research the diet and to describe it in further detail in her own book, "Breaking The Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet".
The diet starts off pretty strict, but for many you add back in specific carbs because the main cause of the inflammation is typically just one type of carb (as in my DH's case, it's gluten - he can eat all the sugar, rice, oats, whatever as long as he avoids gluten).

BTW, do you use l-glutamine? It's an amino acid that helps with these conditions - you can get it at most sports supplement stores, you'd want to use about 10g a day.

Nat

Old 03-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Nat,

Wow, the diet you're posting about seems contrary to the "Eating for IBS" diet (by Heather van Vorous), which I've been trying to follow. This IBS diet eliminates almost all fat (no red meat, dairy, fried foods, egg yolks, etc.). I will mention the SCD to my new gastroenterologist and nutritionist.

I don't take l-glutamine. I'll bring that up to my doc as well.

You've given me a lot to think about, and I am most appreciative. Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge.

LT

Last edited by LovesTeaching; 03-06-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

LT, the diet you describe is basically what they wanted my DH on - and he tried, but it just made him sicker and sicker. When I decided to follow a low carb plan about 5 years ago he jumped on board because he's.. well, he's a follower Within four days of not eating grains his symptoms disappeared and he's been off the meds ever since. It was truly amazing - his doctors were beside themselves.

Best of luck with your appointments,
Nat

Closed Thread