It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

juner50 HB User
gained 14 lbs on Armour HELP!

I've been on almost every thy. drug searching for the right one. While I've found relief of one or two symptoms on each one I've tried I've never found the "magic" one.
Now I've been on Armour since mid Jan and without doing anything different I'm up about 14 lbs. My TSH is totally supressed, my frees are past mid range so what could be the cause ?
Synthroid worked fine for many yrs. but around menopause I started having problems. Dr added Cytomel and I felt a little better but hair started falling out in clumps, skin was dryer, etc. etc.
Swithched to Synth. and Armour no relief or change.
Thyrolar gave me a bit more energy and my weight was better but hairloss was awful. Now on Armour and low dose Medrol (lowish adrenals) and I feel like crap, I look like crap, the hairloss is less but the weight is piling on. I'm on a little over 3grs. (split am/pm) My eyebrow hair is thinner but here's the weird part.....I have to shave underarms way more often ( too much info, ha ha). I'm 54, female and my periods just stopped at 47 without any menopause symptoms. Underarm hair became almost non-existant. Is that normal ??
Since I still suffer from most hypo symp. I thought someone out there might have some suggestions. I wish I could take a little Thyrolar, Synth., Armour and Cytomel on a daily basis since each one corrected a different symptom. I'm so frustrated, any thoughts ??
june
PS. Hashi's for 30 yrs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: gained 14 lbs on Armour HELP!

June are you on HRT at all ? Natural progesterone? Have you ever had your estradiol and progesterone levels checked?

Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

juner50 HB User

Nope....no HRT. Haven't had prog. or estr. checked to my knowledge.
I'm going in for bloodwork in a few days maybe I'll check them off myself. I'll try to reach my Dr. to ask first but if I can't reach him before the test, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He's very open to anything.
Just curious, what would those tests tell me. Like if I were low or high in either of them what would symptoms be?
I feel as stipid as Edith Bunker when it comes to "female stuff" LOL!
june

Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

June, this could be your problem - as we age our bodies continue to manufacture estrogens but the amount is less, however the production of progesterone doesn't fall equally, it falls more. The two hormones become unbalanced and you end up with excess estrogens - which can cause symptoms very similar to hypot.

There's a book out there every woman needs to read if she's headed toward menopause, or past it, IMHO: Dr. Lee's "What your doctor may not tell you about menopause" If you're between the ages of 30 and 50 pick up What your doctor may not tell you about PREmenopause" - both are lifesavers.

If you search for "Estrogen Dominance" and "Dr Lee" you'll get a good bit of information on the subject and how it can effect thyroid.

The key with HRT is you want NATURAL hormones - do not let anyone talk you into using synthetics, telling you they are 'the same thing' - they aren't. Synthetics are like poison to the body and overtime cause more problems than they help.

Nat

Old 03-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
(female)

juner50 HB User

I have my lab order in front of me and I have a question for you. Estradiol -(IVF Rapid) is the only estradiol test I see. Is this the test you were asking about ? I see progesterone also but was wondering if that IVF Rapid is the right one ?
You know....I purposely avoided reading any books on menopause because I didn't want to know about symptoms....didn't want to plant any seeds in my brain. I never had a hot flash or any other problems. As I said earlier, my periods just stopped and I was thrilled.
For about the last 5 yrs, I was getting them twice a month and very heavy so menopause was a blessing to me. Now I wonder if it was truly menopause or did something else cause my periods to stop ?? HMMMM!

Old 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Estradiol is the one you want. Progesterone is typically just progesterone, I'm not familiar with IVF Rapid, June.

Nat

Closed Thread