It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

Mileahsmom HB User
Lightbulb My Stylist Suggested Amino Acids For Hair Growth...???

For the past several months my stylist has been commenting on how my hair had stopped growing. Without letting him know that I was hypo I asked him what could cause this? He said a slow metabolism!!! He's smarter than most of the M.D.'s I've seen I thought. LOL
So then I asked him what would help the hair to grow & he said amino acids.
Of course by my next visit my hair was falling out by the handfulls & I did tell him that I was hypo.
But I thought maybe the amino acids thingy may help some of us????? Anyone ever tried them??

Old 03-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Veronicaberry HB User
Re: My Stylist Suggested Amino Acids For Hair Growth...???

tyrosine is an amino acid responsible for regulation the thyroid and pituitary gland. N Aceyl Cysteine is also an amino acid that helps with hair growth.

Ive tried NAC, tyrosine, carnitine, and a liquid drink full of many amino acids trying to fix my hair problem where its VERY gray and falling out in the front with diffuse hair loss all over.

Another form of aminos is brewers yeast which i also use. Its a powder and contains 18 different amino acids and would be what I recommend for anyone because its natural and it also contains folic acid, b12, inositol, choline. the brand i use is lewis labs. Mix a couple table spoons in some morning juice. It tastes kind of nutty.

Our metabolism is very complex and if you are clinical hypothyroid your meds are your first line of defense, but you could supplement your body with the brewers yeast.

Im trying so many things for my hair I dont know what works or doesnt. I can say it doesnt fall out as much but the bald spot in the front isnt getting better either. Im going to change my meds next month and ask for armour or some t3. Hope this helps

In additional to everything we try to do to help our problems, to increase our metabolism as we get older, we must increase our muscle strength. As we age we lose muscle which if you think about it would contribute to our metabolism slowing down. So the best thing I think we can do naturally is to start a weight lifting regimine because those muscles we build will in turn burn our metabolism throughout the day.

I also read recently about a product called talika that helps people grow eyelashes and eyebrows in about 90% of the users. So My thought is why wont this work on the hair? I checked the ingredients in this product thats all natural with the main components that seem to increase the hair growth being soy lecithin, st johns wort and nettles and im going to add st johns wort and lecithin to a product called hair rush that I already use and see what happens.

Last edited by Veronicaberry; 03-13-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mary Shomon reports in her book that evening primrose oil helped her when nothing else did. She got the idea from the writings of Drs. Stephen Langer and Ken Blanchard.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Veronicaberry HB User

The essential oil (GLA) in Evening Primrose that we need for our skin and hair is found in higher quantities of in Borage oil - Barleans is a good brand which has a richer source of GLA than evening primose and black currant seed with some added benefits as well.

Closed Thread