It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

Corihere HB User
Question Nails Lifting....thyroid related?

Hi All,

My nails have been slowly lifting up from the tip edge and exposing more white, so that the borders between my pink nail beds and my nail tips are now irregular and seem to be getting worse. My accupunturist suggested it may be a little fungus so I am treating that (although we didn't technically test)... but there is no discoloration or anything...just painless detatching from the nail bed.

I read somewhere that this can be due to an overactive thyroid. Anyone?

Also, I've had the basic panels done for thyroid and they show 'within normal range'... but I do continue to loose weight, have brittle hair that breaks easily, and much dryer skin.

What test do I need to run?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Sincerely,
Cori

Old 03-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: Nails Lifting....thyroid related?

Yes, this can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yep, when I was hyperthyroid my fingernails started lifting from the skin. Especially my little fingers.

It took awhile for them to get back to normal. Now I am hypo and they are dry and brittle.

Betty

Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
(female)

Cazzie HB User

I have been severely hyper and never had this problem. But my nails have always been really nice (I think it's hereditary). My mother had really nice nails, but started getting a fungus under them when she was in her late 60s. This fungus was really hard to get rid of and sort of looked yellow-ish. My nails did get thin and break easily tho. Now, I'm hyper again but I've had a baby and my nails are stronger, so I'm not noticing anything. I found a few things on the net about it:
Re: Fungal
A fungal or yeast infection which results in Onychomycosis, can invade through a tear in the proximal and lateral nail folds as well as the epony****m. This type of infection is characterized by onycholysis (nail plate separation) with evident debris under the nail plate. It normally appears white or yellowish in color, and may also change the texture and shape of the nail. The fungus digests the keratin protein of which the nail plate is comprised. As the infection progresses, organic debris accumulates under the nail plate often discoloring it. Other infectious organisms may be involved, and if left untreated, the nail plate may separate from the nail bed and crumble off.

Re: Thyroid
Brittle, soft nails with a shine and no moon may indicate an overactive thyroid. Nails that separate from the nail bed could also indicate a thyroid disorder. Ridges in the nail could mean an infection, or thyroid disorder. Nails that are like a bumpy road can indicate a thyroid disorder too.

If your thyroid labs came back normal, I would test for the fungus.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Graves disease patients are the most prone to this disorder. I would reccomend more testing.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

wow, you're supposed to have those whiteish "moons" in other fingers besides your thumbs?

heh, um...

What exactly *are* the moon things? I always thought they looked weird.

Last edited by irys; 03-17-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Closed Thread