It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

fifty HB User
Hi everyone, I just found this site..

I am so happy to have found this site. It is very informative. I finally dragged myself to the doctor and asked for a thyroid test after feeling off for 4 years. For the past 3 weeks I've felt like I've had a lump in my throat that I can't swallow and it's driving me nuts. I've also been very exhausted for the past few months. My sister has a goiter and low thyroid function so she suggested I get checked out.

When I get up in the morning I get my kids off to school and then rush around like crazy to get things done because I know that by noon, I'll be dead on my feet and need a few hours nap. My husband is starting to think I'm really lazy. I'm also starting to avoid driving because my mind is just not there. I'm worried that whatever is wrong with me is going to ruin my marriage!

Ever since I had my daughter a little over 4 years ago, I've felt off. I was worried I had a brain tumor, although I never outright said that to the doctor. I complained of feeling weird. I felt outside of my head and I couldn't think or concentrate. I use to be pretty smart and now I feel really dumb! He dismissed my symptoms and questioned my mental health. I've also gone to him complaining about anxiety and panic attacks. He prescribed Celexa and I had a horrible experience the first time I took it. I now have a prescription for Lorazepam although I rarely take it. Here are a list of all my symptoms:
-extreme tiredness
-foggy head (whoever said it was impossible to describe is sooo right!)
-irritability
-anxiety/panic
-lump in throat
-lower body temperature
-absolutely no sex drive
-irregular heart beat
-shortness of breath (I do smoke though)
-weird pressure in head (like a headache)
-heartburn
-e;ye tics that will last days (I'll even get them in other parts of my body)
-snoring
-Blurry vision (I wake up sometimes and my eyes won't clear!)
-Tingling hands (Usually only happens if something scares me unexpectedly)
-Weight gain (I've been growing into my sisters clothes as she's growing out of them, lol)
-I have glaucoma but I don't think that is related

I am only 27 years old and I hate going to the doctor because I'm sure they must think I'm a hypochondriac. I have never told the doctor all my symptoms because I never realized they may be related until I started researching thyroid disease. I'm actually scared to show this to the doctor because she is going to think I'm crazy to have so many things wrong, lol!

The doctor's office called today and I almost felt happy thinking they've found my thyroid to be off. It would make my life so much better to even just know that I'm not crazy. I asked the secretary what was wrong and she said it was my cholesterol! I was disappointed and of course now worried about my cholesterol, especially since I don't eat a lot of fatty stuff.

During my pregnancy to my daughter, I had a thyroid test done and it was a little off (I can't remember the numbers). The doctor did some more specified tests and they came out the opposite as the first tests! He just through up his hands and blamed it on pregnancy. I've never been checked since.

I have tried a lot of things to feel better. I quit drinking coffee. Lowered my sugar and salt intake. I've tried B vitamins, fish oil and st Johns wort. I found some of my anxiety relieved with them but I had to go off the wort because I was having spotting before my period was due.

I'm sorry to go on and and but I am so sick of feeling lousy and off. I'm worried that my tests will be "normal" and the doctors going to try to prescribe an anti-depressant. Any advice? Thank-you so much for this board!!!

Crissi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: Hi everyone, I just found this site..

Fifty,

You need to ask for a copy of your test results and post them here along with the ranges. Many doctors/labs do not know that the range has changed and what they consider "normal" is not normal at all. Your symptoms sure sound hypothyroid, and with your sister having it, gosh, how do doctor's ignore these things? Interesting that your cholesterol came back high - did you know that high cholesterol can be a sign of hypothyroid too? Especially for someone as young as you, the doctor should certainly be suspicious and looking for other causes!

Nornie

Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hi everyone, I just found this site..

Hi there fifty!
1. You have a family history of thyroid disease.
2. You've felt "off" since post-partum days ... the time when TD often first rears its ugly head.
3. As Nornie said, hypothyroidism is linked to elevated cholesterol. In fact, hypoT is the second leading cause of high LDL after poor diet.

You are NOT crazy. You have many of the commonest symptoms and signs of low thyroid. You need to have a serious talk with your doctor. I would advise you not to show him that comprehensive list of symptoms, though. It would overwhelm him. Pick three of the most severe symptoms. Probably the fatigue, brain fog, and weight gain are three that are most strongly linked with low thyroid. (That's not to say the others aren't; it's just that MDs don't know that a lot of the others are. That's sad to say, but true.) Stress to him that you cannot live this way, and because of your family history and symptoms, that you want extensive thyroid testing. Don't settle for only a TSH test. By itself, it isn't enough for someone with so many symptoms. You also need to have free T4, free T3, and TPO and Tg antibodies tests. The antibodies tests will show whether you have autoimmune thyroid disease, which is the kind that often runs in families.
If he refuses you these tests, or won't take your concerns seriously, I urge you to find someone else who will work with you instead of against you. Life's too short to have to fight with someone you pay for service.

One more thing.... Always get a printout of any labwork you have done. You paid for it and have a right to it by law. When you get your test results, you can always post them here for opinions about whether they're really "normal". Include the lab's reference range with them.

Closed Thread