It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #1

Colomolo HB User
H Pylori and Thyroid

My Throid problem (multi nodular goiter) was first diagnosed due to stomach problems.

On Friday I proved positive to having the H Pylori bug, since then I have been looking around and some research as sugggested that Thyroid problems could be connected to H Pylori.

This nasty bacteria is respoisble for various things, ulcers, strokes, autoimmuine illness.

I have now on a heavy course of anti bicotics to get rid of it. I just thought it was interested that its been reasearched in connection with Thyroid issues.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: H Pylori and Thyroid

That's interesting. May I ask what your stomach troubles are? I have had severe bloating, off and on, for 5 years. They have tested me a couple of times for h. pylori, but shows negative. I did have a small ulcer, though, so I've always wondered that maybe it doesn't always show up on blood tests. I have noticed that antibiotics for other things, sometimes make me feel better for weeks afterward, but not sure why. Please let me know what your sympotoms were.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 AM   #3

Colomolo HB User

I basically have had everything, from acid to cramps, you name it. Most ulcers come from H Pylori,its a very nasty little bug.

The best way to diagonose it is by a biopsy, an upper enodcsopy to take a small sample.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

I can't answer your question, but here's my experience ...

I have had 2 stomach endocopys, the latest of which, was a few months ago. I know the first, and I assume the second time, I was tested for Helicobacter Pylori, by way of a sample of the stomach wall. That was negative.

I just did a battery of tests this month, one of which, was a stool sample test for H.Pylori, which was positive. I'm waiting for one of the other test results testing for H.Pylori in the blood.

I've had stomach pain for a few years, had stomach polyps removed, and have been taking proton pump inhibitors for as long.

As you state, it is now widely held in the medical community that the Helicobacter Pylori bacteria is the main cause of stomach and duodenum ulcers.

I had never seen references to H. Pylori being a cause of autoimmune diseases. Too bad you can't post such references on this board. I would love to read that one.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 AM   #5

Colomolo HB User

Divermon did you manage to irradicate the h pylori with the antibiotics?

As well as ulcers it causes chronic gastritis which I think I have. I have an upper enoscopy last year which didnt show anything, it was clear but they didnt take a biopsy then.

I will ask the mods if I can post a url about the autoimmine stuff

By the way stool sample was negative in my case and the blood sample postive.

Last edited by Colomolo; 03-22-2005 at 04:29 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

islandgirl2005 HB User

hi, i'm new here and doing research into this angle myself. i read about another bug- yersina enterocolictica(sp?)-and thyroiditis. yersinia affects the stomach and other organs and some research shows that antibodies to yersinia occur like 18 times more frequently in people with thyroid disease than those who do not have it. yersinia is treatable with antibiotics and i was wondering if anyone had actually cured thyroid disease with antibiotics, if anyone knows. thanks.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

I just verified with the biopsy on the most recent upper endocopy was negative for H. Pylori - just a few months ago.

I just received the positive stool H. Plylori test last week, so we haven't discussed course of action yet. One of my other Docs told me that he trusted the stool test more-so, because the bacteria lives in the GI tract. Still, though, he wanted me to repeat the stool test.

How odd, that your's was the other way around. Not sure what either your or my case means.

It's highly doubtful you can post that. Not sure if it is ok to hint. I know we're not even supposed to discuss this subject.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
(female)

suem HB User

HI, I find this info on H Pylori very interesting and wanted to share that
My daughter told me that last year when she was in a class. They told her Pepto Bis. may help the H. Pylori Bacteria. She was unable to find her notes.
Has anyone heard of this? suem

Old 03-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I think it takes a combination of Pepto and a prescription antibiotic (or two?) to be most effective. Don't think the Pepto alone will do it.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

Hereís what I recall from my travels Ö.

I believe treatment aggressiveness if generally adjusted to strength of hypothesis of complications of the bacteria. That is, if ulcer is either documented by upper GI endoscopy, or suspected via patient discomfort, and helicobacter pylori bacteria is confirmed by either biobsy or blood, saliva, breath or stool tests Ö. Then generally a triple therapy is used. The distinction is usually made, because it is estimated that 20% of people under 40, and 50% of people over 60 have the bacteria. The question is why not all people develop complications, such as ulcers.

The triple therapy is usually something like an eradicator, an acid suppressor, and a stomach lining protector.

The eradicator Is usually one or two antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and metronidazole.

The acid suppressor is usually either an H2 blocker or a proton pump inhibitor.

The stomach lining protector is typically bismuth subsalicylate. I donít think most antacids contain bismuth, but I know that pepto does.

Interestingly, I do remember finding reference that the bismuth does actually contribute to killing the H. Pylori bacteria. I donít know if that would be enough though. Maybe that would be something to take now and then, as a preventative?

Closed Thread