It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Bruising and petechiae...

I was just wondering if these symptoms could have anything to do with synthroid. I've had petechiae(tiny pin point red spots) all over my arms and chest for a couple months now. I've also started to get large bruises on my legs for no reason. I've read that petechiae can be caused by certain medicines, so I was wondering if synthroid could be the cause. I know that these symptoms can be caused by low platelets(my daughter has a platelet disorder), but my last cbc was normal(about 6 weeks ago).

Could this have anything to do with me being hyperthyroid?

Thanks,
Hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 03-20-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: Bruising and petechiae...

Hi Hil, gosh I don't know but I was hoping someone did, so I thought I would at least post to tell you that I am clueless. Go figure huh? I do know that I have a high platelet count (around 500) and a truck could run over me and not leave a bruise. So maybe you might get another CBC? Is it just me or are we getting a lot of posts on rashes this weekend?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks for replying, Benzi.
I'm thinking these symptoms probably aren't related to my thyroid troubles, but I was hoping they might be.
I'm off(yet again) to the Dr. tomorrow...I had another bruise pop up right in front of my eyes tonight. It's large, blackish blue in color with dark red around the edges. Something isn't right. I'm assuming my platelets are low, but I'm scared to find out why.

Take care...Oh and good luck with your ultrasound, Benzi(on Tuesday right?). Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Wow thanks for thinking of me! I am glad you are going to the Dr. I was worried you might not want to go. I hope they figure it out quick. Do you remember bumping anything or do these bruises just pop out for no reason?

Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

No, I don't remember bumping into anything...they just started appearing for no reason. That's why I'm worried. Hopefully, my Dr. will be able to see me tomorrow and get this figured out.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
(male)

hurtinbad HB User

Hello, I am not a Dr. but I read everything I can about endocrine disorders and have access to detailed information. The problem I have is I have symptoms of almost everything and it can be nerve racking. I hope that won't be the same for you. I am suffering from many symptoms and abnormal labs one of which is Iron overload. I am seeing a hematologist tomorrow. .Maybe you should have more extensive labs run. Even if symptoms seem has gone away. Remember these are possibilities, and I suggest you look into them but donít assume. I have come across a few possibilities when I searched for you some are Autoimmune and endocrine related . check these out, I hope you find your answers and at the same time I hope you don't have any of these conditions, Iron deficiency anemia ,Sickle cell anemia ,Fanconianemia ,Cryoglobulinemiam,Hyperviscosity syndrome ,Cold agglutinin disease Plasmacytoma ,AL-type Amyloidosis, Polycythemia veram. Cutaneous myelofibrosis,Sweet syndrome,Thrombocytopenia,Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ,Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura,Disseminated intravascular coagulation,
Qualitative disorders of platelet function ....are mentioned plus many more. Take care

Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
(male)

hurtinbad HB User

Hello, I am not a Dr. but I read everything I can about endocrine disorders and have access to detailed information. The problem I have is I have symptoms of almost everything and it can be nerve racking. I hope that won't be the same for you. I am suffering from many symptoms and abnormal labs one of which is Iron overload. I am seeing a hematologist tomorrow. .Maybe you should have more extensive labs run. Even if symptoms seem has gone away. Remember these are possibilities, and I suggest you look into them but donít assume. I have come across a few possibilities when I searched for you some are Autoimmune and endocrine related . check these out, I hope you find your answers and at the same time I hope you don't have any of these conditions, Iron deficiency anemia ,Sickle cell anemia ,Fanconianemia ,Cryoglobulinemiam,Hyperviscosity syndrome ,Cold agglutinin disease Plasmacytoma ,AL-type Amyloidosis, Polycythemia veram. Cutaneous myelofibrosis,Sweet syndrome,Thrombocytopenia,Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ,Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura,Disseminated intravascular coagulation,
Qualitative disorders of platelet function ....are mentioned plus many more. Take care

Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Have you had your spleen checked out? My mom had petichae all over her legs and they were stumped until they checked her spleen. She had no platelets so was given blood before they removed her spleen. She has been getting B12 shots every month since and it has been years. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread