It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

need_the_info HB User
does your thyroid make you dizzy?

I've got a lump on my thyroid (only just had the biopsy so still waiting for results). I find that after eating I get really dizzy and a bit nauseous.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a thyroid problem is experiencing this or is my eating problem completely disconnected the the thyroid lump.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: does your thyroid make you dizzy?

I get that all the time too....soemtimes its dizziness after eating, sometimes its hyper feeling but my blood sugar is always fine. I think it is a hypo thing. Have you been tested for diabetes/blood sugar? You should maybe request the 3 hour glucose test and the A1C test. Read up on the A1C test...its good to have....you can order one online and mail it in....very simple at home kits available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
(male)

need_the_info HB User

Thanks - I've been reading up on this board (I only joined yesterday) and you're right, vertigo does seem like a hypo thing. The only thing is that confuses me is that I've had my thyroid function blood test but I've been told that my blood is normal.

Is it possible to have a goiter, display the hypo symptoms but not actually have hypo?

Old 03-26-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Yes....a goiter is just a swelling of the gland...its your body's way of trying to make more hormone. You can have normal blood work with goiter but it usually doesn't stay that way very long....a goiter indicates a problem and will usually lead to hypo at some point down the road.

Now, I am not sure of this, but I think that part of the dizziness associated with goiter is the fact that the carotid artery runs very close if not through the thyroid and when you have a goiter and your thyroid swells, it can interefere with blood supply to the brain.....Im not sure if that's true medically, just my hypothesis...maybe others could help with that.....last time i was at the doc, however, he put his stethoscope up to my neck, over the top of my thyroid goiter and mumbled "...sounds good, no problem..." so maybe there is a conection.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 03-26-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

In my travels, I did see at least one study, with ultrasound images to confirm, that the thyroid can expand to the point of interfering with the cartoid artery.

I think you will also find that some Hypothyroid patients with normal thyroid size, experience some dizziness. Still think it's a "hypo-thing", just not sure what it would be in those cases. Mine is minor, but comes and goes.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran

west end girl HB User

I get dizzy too ...

Old 03-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
(male)

need_the_info HB User

Now the doc is saying that it's a cyst - does this change things.

Another point, which I think mayb be relevant is that I've developed very achy hands and feet (soreness in bones and muscles). Does this tie in? or have I developed a whole new problem?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
(female)

SangReal HB User

I've been on levothyroxine for four weeks. I just started getting dizzy last week. Unlike some of you, some of my "hypo" symptoms (most notably constipation and dizziness) only developed AFTER I started replacement medication. But I'm definitely hypo.

I don't feel like I'm getting much better. I'm only on 50 mcg. Maybe I should be on more? I know I should be patient and give the medicine time to work, but I'm still miserable. My emotional symptoms have cleared up, but I am still gaining weight and losing hair and aching. And I'm constipated and dizzy, and my doctor is an idiot.

<3 Mary

Closed Thread