It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

wadelle2 HB User
Hyperthyroid & Weight Gain

My endocrinologist and I were both shocked that my thyroid problem came back as hyperthyroid, as weight gain has been a big problem for me over the past 7-8 years or so. He even retested me just to make sure. Any other hypers find that weight gain not weight loss was a symptom?

I am also concerned that treatment for hyperT might result in MORE weight gain...is this possible? Is this practically unavoidable? I haven't started meds yet and have a radiocative scan scheduled in a couple of days.

I was so encouraged to FINALLY get my thyroid condition diagnosed, and I was sure that it would come back hypo, so now I'm very anxious that treatment for hyper may make it even more difficult for me to lose weight.

Your thoughts?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

lishacklette HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid & Weight Gain

I was the same as you. I thought for sure I was hypo but my tests came back hyper. I tried the hyper meds but I was allergic to them so I cose RAI. I am now hypo and have been for the past ten years. I hate to tell you this but the weight problem has just gotten worse. I still have a really hard time losing weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Inactive

Stacey82 HB User

Were either of you first diagnosed as Hypo with TSH in Hypo range?

This is what happened to me... I was first diagnosed Hypo but after awhile my dosage was increased too far and I become what I thought was "Hyper"... My TSH was very low, heart palpitations.. etc.
But I was also Hypo-symptomatic and could never lose weight, despite being "hyper".

I've just learned that I was not in fact hyper- It was a low adrenal function.
Those who are Hypo and have an increase in meds that make them "hyper" it may actually be an ADRENAL issue, where your adrenal glands cannot take the increase of thyroid meds, therefore it experiences a bunch of side effects like insomnia, heart palpitations, etc... But still have all your hypo symptoms, including WEIGHT gain.

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

I think it's also a good idea to take your basal (morning) body temperatures!
Use a mercury thermometre first thing in the morning, and put it under your armpit for 10min.
Record your temperatures for about 3 mornings in a row.
If you are hyper it will be very high above normal (above 98.2)

I've never heard of being hyper and still gaining weight, so I'm wondering if it's something else like Adrenals.

Hope this helps at all.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2005 at 04:54 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails [/

Old 03-30-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Hi! I was hyper until I had surgery. I only gained a few lbs. It seems I kept gaining about 4 lbs losing about 7 lbs, gaining, losing. One thing- I ate like a horse. Food gets digested so quickly you get hungry again quickly. I was eating several meals a day.

Unfortunately being hypo can make weight gain a problem. Your best bet is to try a very very healthy diet. It may not prevent you from gaining some, but it must be better than eating cookies and fast food!

I am hypo now. It's only been since Jan. I dont think I've really gained any weight, if so it's been less than 5lbs. I stopped drinking sodas, etc. I don't exercise regularly yet but I do play volleyball.

As far as body temp. I dont think thats always accurate. While being hyper, my temp was never elevated in the morning. Sure throughout the day it would get to almost 100. But never when I first woke up. Why? I dont know. Maybe b/c I sweat so much it helped keep my temp down. Something could be adrenal, but good luck trying to get a doc to treat that one unless it's actual adrenal disease.
Good luck!
April

Last edited by AprilPow; 03-30-2005 at 05:07 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 AM   #5
(female)

iluvamystery HB User

hi wadelle i've been diagnosed w/ hyperthyroidism also-i never had any symptoms of it, just elevated total T4 and extremely low TSH. however, like you, i've become convinced i was actually hypo, but in my case i believe my endo overmedicated me, causing my body to go from hyper to hypo. since i had no symptoms of hyperthyroidism, (actually went undiagnosed for several months-bloodwork was elevated but no one bothered to tell me) i went off my medication (ptu) and am now losing weight again (2.4 lbs in 3 days!). i know that sounds reckless and dangerous, but it's been 5 days and i feel fine. also, i'm a gastric bypass patient who's lost 134 lbs since surgery but i still have about 95 lbs to lose, so i'm a little more motivated than most to try to keep losing weight (i've been on every diet there is at least twice in my adult life and this surgery is my LAST hope). before i stopped my meds, i'd tried everything else to "jolt" my body off it's 3 month plateau (the weight loss came to a halt as soon as i started the thyroid med), such as eat more, eat less, drink more water, doubled my protein intake, more exercise, less exercise-NOTHING worked. perhaps my endo will NOW believe me that my medication was causing the problem. my advice to you is to PLEASE listen to your body-doctors don't know EVERYTHING. best of luck to you.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

scriv HB User

What are other symptoms of adrenal problems? Anyone know?

Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

bulldozer HB User

my blood work is normal,but I have overactive nodules.I have gained weight,and Im so sleepy alot,explain this to me,please

Old 04-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I just read what seems to be a little known fact that being Hyper can cause weight gain. The theory was that your metabolism is so speeded up that some other part of your body "takes over" and to keep you alive and at a certain weight, actually makes you GAIN weight. True? I have no idea. i just know that as to myself my hormone level (thyroid) has to be in balance not hypo or hyper to stay the same weight. The first few weeks of being hyper I do lose a little, but then wammy it stops and I start gaining. So maybe the theory is true.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
(female)

alana820 HB User

hi there, I was diagnosed hyper W/ Graves 1 1/2 years ago and had not lost any weight in fact over the year I put on about 18lbs but as soon as my Free t3 and 4's were brought into normal range with PTU I maintained my weight the TSH is still undetectable but I have been advised on this site that this is somewhat normal and it can stay down for a long time. The PTU made a big difference with the heart palps and sweats so at least give it a try I had no problems at all with it. you are doing the right thing by checking out this site everything I learned was from here and it helped a lot with the questions I asked my endo, K9MOM has been a great help to me she seems to know so much about this condition and gives fantastic advice.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
(female)

chastenedgirl HB User

Wadelle,

YES! I found that weight gain was a problem. I had lost 45 lbs through diet and exercise and had maintained that loss for over a year and four months when my period suddenly stopped. Each month I didn't have a period, a few more lbs crept back on THOUGH I did NOT change my eating habits and my exercise obsessions remained the same. Came to find out the missing period was due to hyperthyroid levles. I know it is through no fault of my own that I am now 20 pounds heavier than my lightest weight, which is highly distressing considering all the hard work I'd done. I continue to eat very healthfully every day and to exercise at least 4 days a week, though usually 6 days a week. These doctors are just like, " duh, we don't know why you aren't losing weight like 90 PERCENT of the other folks with this, too bad for you." Man, does that suck.

Closed Thread