It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Lipemic blood samples

On two occasions my lab report has stated that my blood samples were "lipemic" (one was "slightly lipemic"). I have borderline high triglycerides (158). The test was done almost a year ago (the doctor didn't feel it necessary to follow up; my twin brother's cholesterol was 225 and the same doc didn't follow up with him either. We're 28). I am of normal weight and avoid saturated fats.

I just shared my story about my appendix being taken out in another post (it was healthy and they never found out the cause of my pain, fever, chills and elevated WBC count). Just curious if it's at all possible that I had an attack of pancreatitis. I realize my TGs are not terribly high but I had never had them tested prior (the test was done a year after the surgery).

Maybe I'm just grabbing at straws here but if anyone here has had experience with pancreatitis or knows anything about it I'd appreciate your thoughts. Also, if anyone has been told they have lipemic blood, what their doctor said about it etc...

I know all of this can be related to hypoT but don't really understand the connection. That's why I posted here .

Thanks!!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Last edited by ASDGRMama; 04-02-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Lipemic blood samples

"Lipemic" just means there is more fat than usual in the blood. Although my blood has never been termed "lipemic", I did have high LDL from my hypothyroidism.
HypoT is the second leading cause of high LDL cholesterol, following poor diet.

I remember only once reading that hypoT can be connected with high trigs as well as LDL. It isn't a symptom that's usually listed among the most classic, common symptoms... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be.

The reason blood fats are elevated with hypoT is simple. The entire system becomes sluggish, so clearance of waste products becomes deficient. Nothing works at the right speed to clear toxins... not the bowels, not the liver, not the lungs.

I can't really comment on your theory about pancreatitis,because I don't know much about it. From what I've read though, the pain in an acute attack radiates from the upper stomach through to the back. (Isn't it that way with a gall bladder attack as well? GB disease is commonly associated with hypoT.) So I'm not sure that kind of pain could be construed as appendicitis, which is very low in the abdomen.

If your brother eats well and gets a fair amount of exercise, and otherwise has no other reasons for his cholesterol to be high - and if he's concerned about it - a TSH and free T4 test might be a good idea for him as well. Men can be hypoT too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Lipemic blood samples

I just wanted to chime in as well that your cholesterol is likely the result of your low thyroid levels. I recently had my cholesterol checked after 6 months on thyroid hormones and theres are the results I posted elsewhere:

Just a little proof for those looking for it. All my life I've had cholesterol that was slightly 'high' - HDL not high enough, LDL too high, Total Cholesterol in the upper range for 'desired'. This has been the case while eating LC, LF, isocaloric - doing lots of cardio, doing minimal cardio, doing no cardio. I'd also had a TSH over 2.0 the entire time - which I was told was normal, normal, normal (and until recently I believed).

For the last 15 years cholesterol has looked like this (more or less)

Total Cho: 5.26 (Desired < 5.20)
Tris: 1.0 (Desired <2.30)
HDL: .94 (Desired.90 - 2.40, increased risk <.90)
LDL: 3.54 (Increased risk > 3.4)
Ratio & Risk Factor: 4.35 (Below Average risk <3.50 / Average Risk 3.50-5.00)

As of ten days ago:

Total Cho: 3.95 (Desired < 5.20)
Tris: .93 (Desired <2.30)
HDL: 1.21 (Desired.90 - 2.40, increased risk <.90)
LDL: 2.31 (Increased risk > 3.4)
Ratio & Risk Factor: 3.26 (Below Average risk <3.50 / Average Risk 3.50-5.00)

TSH, btw, has gone from around 6 to .03. While TSH is meaningless, as we all know, it does correlate with cholesterol the most. If your TSH is above 4.0 you can expect an improvement with thyroid treatment - you can expect one even if it's not as well, however not as dramatic.

And yes, those are Canadian SI numbers - for those of you who're scratching youir head

Closed Thread