It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

SangReal HB User
High Blood Pressure Caused by Levothyroxine?

Okay, let me start out by saying that like a lot of other hypo people, I'm ridiculously fat, with a BMI of 36! But that's not my fault. And I have never had high blood pressure. Ever. In my whole life.

Anyway.

So I just went to the doctor (many of you know that). They did the usual. My temperature was 98.9 (a little high for cycle week 1, but whatever), and my blood pressure was 146/95, way higher than my usual 115/75. My pulse was normal at 64. The doctor says that I was probably just nervous, but an increase of 31/20 seems kinda big for nervousness. Note: when my blood pressure was taken five weeks ago (before starting levothyroxine), it was normal at 120/78.

<3 Mary

Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure Caused by Levothyroxine?

Thyroid hormone does speed things up a bit and increase your heart rate, cardiac contractions and output. it will also promote vasodilation which enhances blood flow to your heart brain and other organs. This is the start of a speeded up metabolism and increased carbohydrate metabolism along with fat metabolism. Your temp is also up and that is good as that means you are burning calories better. I would go to a store where you can check it in a machine and see if part of the rise was nerves, mine is always up at the Dr. Remember your old 115 may have been low due to being hypo and therefore a false low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Mary, I don't know if you are still hypo or not. When my hypo went untreated for a long time, I developed high blood pressure. Did not have an understanding doc at the time. It can go up when you are upset. I think some people get whitecoat hypertension when they go to the docs office.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

SangReal HB User

My blood pressure has NEVER, EVER been high, at the doctor's office or anywhere else - even right after I almost died in a car wreck). My old low BP would not be due to being hypo, I think, as I have only had hypo symptoms for about a year and a half now, and my BP has always been normal. But ya never know.

And doesn't vasodilation actually DECREASE blood pressure, usually? I don't know. And yes, I was so glad my temp was up. Is 98.9 abnormally high? I don't think I am going hyper, but there is always that worry. Thanks for your help and kind understanding.

<3 Mary

Old 04-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I wonder. It seems everyone is affected differently and I know it is aggravating for you concerns to be dismissed by Dr's and other people and I hope I am not coming across that way. Yes vasodialation should cause a decrease in blood pressure and maybe lady50 is right in saying it's from being hypo so long (to me 1.5 years is long) I do know there are studies saying that extended periods of being hypo can cause permanant damage to blood vessels, so maybe you should be concerned. I would start checking my own blood pressure for a while and keep a written record of it to show my Dr. About the temp I know if mine gets that high, I feel sick like I have a fever but this only happens when I am hypo. When was the last time your thyroid levels were checked and what tests did they run?

Last edited by Benzi; 04-08-2005 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

SangReal HB User

My last test was Monday April 4 (4 days ago). She only tested TSH, though I questioned her and asked her to do additional tests, and it was 1.13. That's much better than the 32.71 it was just five weeks ago. Still, I'm nervous without FT3 and FT4. I don't know if I might be secretly hyper.

No, you're not coming across like you're dismissing my concerns at all. I'm just trying to find answers and helping others see the whole situation when I can. Sometimes in my effort to be clear I sound angry, but I'm not. I'm a surprisingly laid-back person, really.

When I said I've only been hypo for 1.5 years, that was in response to someone saying that my "normal" low BP might have really been due to my hypothyroidism, and it's only coming out now that I've been treated. But I've only been hypo for 1.5 years and my BP has ALWAYS been normal, even before I had hypo symptoms. See what I mean?

Last edited by SangReal; 04-08-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I can see that they are relying on your TSH to dose you.

It might encourage them to test the ft4 and ft3 if you could find some information on an endocrinolgists website, print it off, and show it to them.It might take a little searching to do that.

The doctors that I have had only looked at my TSH and not the Ft4. It just seems like they didn't know much about thyroid.

It mostly depends how you are feeling. Do you tire easily?

Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mary,
You're question interested me enough to search for the answer. I went to Synthroid's website, to the prescribing information for physicians [Shhhhh.... Don't tell them I'm not one.]. It says right there in black and white that the beginning of treatment can bring on hyper symptoms, and higher BP is listed as an "adverse reaction". This should be treated by either temporarily reducing the dose or temporarily suspending treatment.

This is one of those situations where we need doctors to guide us through the rough spots. It sounds as if you're truly concerned about this, so you shouldn't be talked out of that worry. You should put in a call to the MD's office so your mind can be eased.
I've forgotten what dose you're on, but it has been for a short time, right? Without knowing your dose, I can say it might be that your starting dose was too high for you and maybe a reduction in it would lower your BP.

Closed Thread