It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #1

saschab HB User
Question Sudden thyroid swelling...droopy swollen eyelids???

Monday I noticed sudden swelling on the right side of my neck. Doctor sent me for thyroid levels. I have felt very out of it for the past two days. Today my eyelids are swollen and droopy.

Should I be concerned?

This is all new to me. My physician has always done thyroid lab work for me because of other symptoms and all has been well. This sudden onset and funny feeling is concerning me. Especially since my eyes feel so wierd.

Last edited by saschab; 04-13-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Re: Sudden thyroid swelling...droopy swollen eyelids!

I don't know about the swelling---but I have noticed when my "energy" is down, that I am constantly arching my eyebrows in an effort to keep my eyes open. It seems that anytime that you have swelling, something is definitely wrong and should be looked at right away. Another problem I have when I feel down is that my vision goes blurry really quickly. My hypothyroidism was first diagnosed by an optometrist. I went there because my vision was starting to change rapidly. Nearly 15 years later I am still wearing the same prescription glasses I got during that initial eye exam---I know the problems I have with my vision are directly related to my thyroid levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

kmac10 HB User
Re: Sudden thyroid swelling...droopy swollen eyelids!

I've noticed that my eyelids are a lot more swollen than they used to be when I wake up in the morning. They go down a little while after I'm up and around, but I never used to have that.

shellshocked, you mentioned the blurry vision. I totally know what you're talking about. My biggest complaint throughout this whole thyroid thing has been my cognitive processes (memory, processing, recall, derealization, etc.), but I have definitely noticed that when those things get worse, my vision and acuity get worse along with it. It has to be related to fluctuations in thyroid. When I tell doctors this, they just kind of ignore it because you can tell that they don't know what would cause it. Did your optometrist give an explanation for why the thyroid would cause these fluctuations in visual acuity? When I'm feeling good, my vision is very good (I don't wear glasses or anything; I had LASIK years ago). However, a few hours later, I can feel like I need to go get glasses. Hopefully this symptom will get better along with everything else!

Closed Thread