It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Can too much thyroid cause muscle pain?

If you are hypo and your medication is too much and you become hyper, can you still have the muscle pain and soreness as a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Re: Can too much thyroid cause muscle pain?

Yes! This is one of my most bothersome symptoms right now! I'm being kept hyper since I've had thyroid cancer...they keep my TSH below 0.5. The last time it was checked...it was undetectable. My muscle soreness is actually much worse when I'm hyper than when I'm hypo. Ibuprofen does help a little.

Take care,
Hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #3

diatron HB User

I find that I have the most muscle pain when my FT3 is too low. Cytomel really helped those pains go away for me.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Hilery, TSH does not determine hypo/ hyper -ness. You could feel hypo because you ARE hypo. If your FTs are low then your TSH being low is meaningless. When it comes to blood tests, FTs determine hypo/hyper - and even they are not good measures. Blood tests measure hormones in the blood, ONLY. They don't tell you if the hormnes are even making it into the tissue. Resistance to thyroid hormone is pretty common.

SMILY, I doubt you're on 'too much' from past conversations - I suspect you may have an adrenal problem if you're finding you cannot handle a low dose of thyroid hormone.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Hilery, Gopherhead is right and it was proved to me by some previous testing. I started taking (before going hypo for the WBS) cytomel and all of the pain went away I was feeling so good that I was about 17 yrs old for the 2 weeks I got to take it! LOL If you get to read this, has the oncologist called you yet?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Yes, I know the FT's determine hyper/hypo, but by now I can tell based on my symptoms. My idiot Dr.'s refuse to check my FT's. When I'm having severe tachycardia, weight loss, and severe anxiety...I know I'm hyper!LOL Hyper can definitely cause the muscle pain, too.

Benzi, no I haven't heard from my Onc's office yet. I'll probably call tomorrow to see what's up. I know it's awful, but in a way...I just don't want to know.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I feel for you Hil I have the same feeling about my WBS, I wouldn't except that for the crazy lymph nodes. Well here's to having a nice infection and REACTIVE nodes. I did get a blood test and my lymphocytes came back high, but the white blood cell count came back normal. That does not help me one little bit!

Last edited by Benzi; 04-20-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I'm especially worried now...thinking back about my ultrasound. When I came in, the tech told me to show her where the lymph node was and she would only go over that area. Well, after a few minutes she said "hang on a sec, I want the Radiologist to come and make sure the pics I got are ok". Well, he came in and said..."Yes, go ahead and do both sides"?? Then, she ended up taking several images all over my entire neck. I know I'm probably over-analyzing it, but I'm wondering if more showed up than just the one lymph node. They told me they would mail me the results, so I'm hoping it comes in the mail today.

I'm sorry to hear about your lymphocytes being high. Try to stay optimistic and trust that the Radioactive Iodine will destroy all of the thyroid cancer cells that might have came back.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I think just having the test has destroyed some, my neck feels better. LOL always hoping! Its probably the muscle relaxor, but only taking that once a day instead of the 4 times the bottle says. Wonder what the WBS will say if it has destroyed those nodes? This happened when I had a head CT with contrast also, but within 2 weeks the crazy nodes were back! I have a very strange body. let me know what your ultrasound says. I have no idea why my lymphocytes could be high and there is not much info on the web about them. Seems you have to know how many T cells and B cells to tell much. Getting ready to go to get my scan right now. Took another shower to wash off all the radiation coming out of my pores. I may not get to write back very soon if my blood pressure is up again, they may keep me there. eek.............Hope not but wanted to let someone know in case they do. I hate it when they go and get the radiologist too, makes you wonder what's up now? I made friends with the radiologist Tuesday, for some reason he gave me the pill. He was nice and promised me a long talk. Told him I went to school for rad. tech. that always breaks the ice cause they know, you know, what you are looking at. Sometimes I wish I had never went to school for that, cause all's I need is one glimpse of that scan and I can tell if something is wrong!

Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Good luck with that scan! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

After all of the CT's, MRI's, and other scans I have had...I really wish I knew more about how to read them. I always get copies of the films in case I need them for another Dr., but when I try to look at them myself...I'm lost! When I was in nursing school I got to do a short rotation with the Radiology Tech students, but I don't remember anything from that rotation! I always hate it when I have my WBS done because they keep the screen where I can't see it.

Again, good luck today! You're in my thoughts! I hope your BP is down, too.

Closed Thread