It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #1

natanak HB User
Unhappy TSH of 3.5 and doctors wants to put me on medication, should I?

I am new to this. I just received a call this morning from my doctor saying I should go on thyroid medication because my TSH 3rd Gen test came back at 3.5 (Range is .400-5.500). I was just going for a routine physical and was kinda blindsided by this since I thought I was in pretty good health. Last year I got physical my results for TSH was 2.287. Does this mean I'm hypo or hyper? It sounds like from what I've read on this site thus far I am hypo...which means weight gain, hair loss, tired.... Does this happend at levels that I have?

I am not going on the medication. I told my doctor I'd like a complete test before medicating myself. I have never been on meds before, although I do take BC pills. I am just concerned about weight gain and if the doctor is being too harsh with these results?

Any information or advice is appreciated. I do plan on getting more tests, just curious as to whether 3.5 is bad result or not?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

SangReal HB User
Re: TSH of 3.5 and doctors wants to put me on medication, should I?

With your TSH increasing, however slowly, not going on the meds is a terrible idea. Your doctor is right, and the lab is wrong. New guidelines state that a normal TSH range is between .3 and 3, not 5.5. Quest Diagnostics (or whoever you're using) does not really know much about diagnosis, they just know how to conduct the tests. It is your physician's job to interpret them, and he is doing a pretty good job.

Trust me. Go on the meds. You might gain a tiny bit of weight going on them, but that's nothing to the amount of weight you'll gain without them. Now is the time to start taking them before any damage is done.

I know you say you haven't had symptoms yet. That's a good thing. You may never have to if you start meds now. Most people with a TSH level like yours do not experience the symptoms most of us have, but if you let this go, your TSH will very likely continue to rise and you'll feel worse and worse. The good news is that thyroid meds are very much like (if not exactly like) the hormones your own body produces, so you're not putting some unknown chemical into your body.

Further testing is a great idea. Have your physician do Free T4 and Free T3 tests, as well as another TSH. And then start your meds. Seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

I experienced severe symptoms at a TSH of 3.18. Has a Dr. tested your antibodies? The presence of antibodies (specifically Thyroid Peroxidase or TPO antibodies) in more than minute quantities could mean Hashimoto's Disease, which causes hypothyroid. In that case, Sangreal is right. You will only get worse because your thyroid is failing from an autoimmune disease.

Last edited by fatiguegalore; 04-21-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Just to confuse you more... I'll throw a slightly different spin on your decision.

Knowing what I know about the hell that getting adjusted to supplemental hormone can be, speaking for myself, I wouldn't go on it until some significant symptoms showed up. Eventually - and likely sooner than later - you will have to go on it; but unless you gain some benefit from it, you'll resent being told you have to. And the truth is, in the beginning of treatment, it can make you feel worse than you did before you took it. Without the hope of eliminating some debilitating symptoms, you probably won't have much patience with feeling worse instead of better.

The day will come when you'll be begging for that prescription, believe me. Stay in touch with that savvy doctor... He's a thyroid gem, and they're so few and far between, and you may need him to write your future prescription.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #5

-Misha- HB User

I tend to agree with Midwest, why take the meds if you are feeling fine?

One thing to add... I'd also get your cholesterol levels checked before deciding whether or not to go on the meds. If your LDL is elevated, it might be worthwhile to consider thyroid therapy.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #6
(female)

momy5 HB User

I agree with Midwest1 and Misha I had one doctor put me on thyroid medication 2 years ago and now I'm seeing a different one and he told me that if I had of seen him first he probably would not have started me on medication yet. I started on Synthroid and became hyperthyroid then went on Cytomel and now I'm back to hypothyroid. It seems very difficult for them to get my levels normal. If your not having any symptoms I would not start it yet. Once you start it's a lifetime committment.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 AM   #7
(female)

kiya HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by natanak
I am new to this. I just received a call this morning from my doctor saying I should go on thyroid medication because my TSH 3rd Gen test came back at 3.5 (Range is .400-5.500).
Seeing as you're feeling ok, it's probably best to just keep an eye on it rather than taking medication. I just wish I had your doctor because I could do with a trial of thyroxine!!! But yes, I agree with everyone else in this thread. Wait and see, definately.

kiya

Closed Thread