It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

behindmyshades HB User
FNA shows Hurthle cell metaplasia

I had a FNA of my thyroid nodules and thank God it came back negative for malignancy.......but.....it shows...well let me just type it exactly as the pathology report shows:

A) Thyroid, Isthmus: The specimen consists of numerous follicular cells, a few macrophages, and a small amt of colloid. This is consistent with a benign thyroid nodule, cellular type

B) Thyroid, Left Lobe: The specimen consists of numerous follicular cells, a few macrophags, Hurthle cells, and colloid. This is consistent with a benign thyroid nodule, cellular type, with involutional changes and Hurthle cell metaplasia.

The doc first said we can wait 3 months and do another ultrasound to see if they grew, and then said, if I was his wife, he's tell me to get them out. The Hurthle cells are what makes him say that. He says there is a higher incidence of cancer if there are Hurthle cells.....I said what about the negative for malignancy diagnosis? is that just a guess? He says they won't know FOR SURE 100% unless they take it out and cut it up and put it on a slide. I don't know what to do....wait or go under the knife?

Does anyone know about these Hurthle cells?

Thanks so much!

Old 04-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

behindmyshades HB User
Question Re: FNA shows Hurthle cell metaplasia

Someone please help!
I wanted to bump it up a little to get more exposure.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
(female)

linda115 HB User
Re: FNA shows Hurthle cell metaplasia

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=276583&page=2&pp=5[/url]

The above link shows one of my posts. It discussed the two school of thoughts among the surgeons: those who opt to remove one side, run tests immediately, and decide Whether to remove the other side or not; those who opt to remove all from the beginning.

My surgeon chose the first option and only my left side was removed. My health has since bounced back and looks like the right side has kicked in and is functioning well.

I am 57. Had total hysterectomy 7 years ago. Other than my hypoT symptoms, I am in good health. Now that I had surgery, all my symptoms are either gone or improving. My mom is 82. She still has her nodules and is in better health than I am. Her test results confirm her good health.

If you opt for surgery, at least ask the doctor to run all the necessary tests. I believe my tests were run after the removal of one side. So that should be more concise than the FNA.

Your current health status should be taken into consideration. Thyroid surgery is pretty straight forward and one recovers quickly. If there are other diseases, there may be complications. So your mom is correct. Remove them while you are young and healthy.

Blessings,
Linda

Old 04-25-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
(female)

deerocket HB User

i have hurthle cell thyroid cancer so my advice to you is to have a total thyroid removed and be on the safe side the operation is not hard i had mine in aug 2001. but now mine has spread to lungs and L3 vertabre so i will need a back operation. i was misdigonesed in 2001 as just pap and foll. thyroid cancer. just found out it is hurthle cell in april 2005 so things arent good now. please dont wait and if it is cancer get a good thyroid oncologist good luck dee

Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

behindmyshades HB User

Dee - so sorry to hear of your situation. I will say a prayer for you. My doc says he wants to just remove the left lobe so I will still have some thyroid function. I think I will get a second opinion just to be safe. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

behindmyshades HB User

Linda - Thanks again, you are a tremendous resource!
You are linking me to things that are readable and understandable!
I'm still doing my research!

Old 05-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

behindmyshades HB User

Thank you Dee and Linda. I'm going for surgery Friday May 13th. I hope and pray it's not cancer. I wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else has any experience with this. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
(female)

imreneelaura HB User

24/female
I'm sort of going through the same situation. Today, I learned the nodule on my thyroid has Hurthle cells, something that didnt show up on my last 3 FNA's through the last 5 years. My endo said since this is a new thing, he would like to contact the pathologist for a second opinion on whether or not he should schedule a surgery soon. He said if it isnt urgent, he will leave it up to me if I want surgery or not. I have to start nursing school in August and I know if I wait to long to decide... that may make me absent from school for a bit. I also know I will be at risk for taking medicine the rest of my life also to replace the hormones. On the other hand, if I decide not to get the surgery... I will be risking cancer spreading and also having to go through FNA's every 6 months. I'm so confused as to what I should do. Anyone have an opinion for me?

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

Marre HB User

Hi all - My FNB also showed hurthle cells. I have been reading everything I could find. I have come to this conclusion: If it is malignant Hurthle cell, then there is no treatment. There is no point in continuously being scanned for cancer metastases. There is no point in letting them keep cutting out pieces of you that have become malignant due to spreading. It may increase your chances of living a little longer, but that only means more surgery and that speaks to quality of life.

I am having a sub-total thyroidectomy in August. If it is malignant, I will go to Arizona which is the mecca for alternative treatments. I am changing my lifestyle and getting rid of that which goes against me. I am quitting my job after surgery and am going to be a landscape designer. I will do this as long as I can. It is said that if you get rid of that which does not fit in your life and you relax and do the work and live the life you were meant to, you put yourself into a better physical state. The body will start producing endorphins and it's own natural healing mechanism will kick in because you have put yourself in an optimal state of beingness. A lot of people are still here who should've died of cancer long ago. There are those out there who know things - not the things that "everybody" knows, but things they have an intuition about and the skill to bring to bear. I believe there is a chance for a new life. I also believe in cause and effect - the spiritual kind. You reap what you sew - not a punishment - but the simple fact that if there is a cause, there will be an effect - physics. I searched for the metaphysical meaning behind thyroid cancer. If anyone is interested, I would be willing to discuss here. Take good care.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I will add my 2 cents in here.............

I had a biopsy a year ago that showed a "benign follicular lesion". hmmmmmmmmmm, however, I have had nothing but conflicting advice on what to do about a follicular lesion. It is the most common diagnosis there is. However, the ENT I just saw said there are NO ways to promise things are not cancerous in the thyroid without having it out.

I am now in search of a 3rd opinion and I really think I want this out. I mean taking meds for the rest of my life at least gives me the rest of my life.

I just started on Armour and have had no problems so I am not worried about the meds any longer.

I hope everyone here can get good opinions.

This is such a hard decision to make. I had no idea that the surgery idea was so hard to figure out. Dr;s are so divided on what is ok to watch and what should be taken out.

I can add this..........a friend of mine just went to Mayo clinic for a thyroid nodule. They told her it is their policy that they take out ALL nodules with any kind of cells that represent a cancer.............pap cells, follicular, or hurthle. I think basically they said unless it is a simple cyst they say get it out.

We will all have to keep in touch and let each other know what we find out.

Karen

Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
(female)

KCThy HB User

Slow her down their,

There are actually cases where they can be pretty darn sure it's non-malignant, especially if you have a nodule that is able to decrease or shrink in size... (per my thyroid panel)
Believe me, malignant tumors do not do that.... Cancer doesn't shrink, it keeps (SLOWLY) growing...

Please, anyone with other results, please let me know., but I've heard from 2 surgeons, that is the case! I really don't think you can have a malignant tumor and it will shrink. Goodness, if so let us know!

There are several diagnosis for a nodule, that does NOT mean that each and every one has the viability of malignancy for pittys' sake...

Learn about your diagnosis', take a deep breath and follow your heart and more importantly, listen to your body! Best of wishes to you!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
(female)

Dawndee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindmyshades View Post
I had a FNA of my thyroid nodules and thank God it came back negative for malignancy.......but.....it shows...well let me just type it exactly as the pathology report shows:

A) Thyroid, Isthmus: The specimen consists of numerous follicular cells, a few macrophages, and a small amt of colloid. This is consistent with a benign thyroid nodule, cellular type

B) Thyroid, Left Lobe: The specimen consists of numerous follicular cells, a few macrophags, Hurthle cells, and colloid. This is consistent with a benign thyroid nodule, cellular type, with involutional changes and Hurthle cell metaplasia.

The doc first said we can wait 3 months and do another ultrasound to see if they grew, and then said, if I was his wife, he's tell me to get them out. The Hurthle cells are what makes him say that. He says there is a higher incidence of cancer if there are Hurthle cells.....I said what about the negative for malignancy diagnosis? is that just a guess? He says they won't know FOR SURE 100% unless they take it out and cut it up and put it on a slide. I don't know what to do....wait or go under the knife?

Does anyone know about these Hurthle cells?

Thanks so much!
Hi There,

I was recently diagnosed with a Hurthle cells in my left thyroid lobe. My doctor recommended me to get my left lobe removed because of the risk of cancer. I read that you were going to get the surger done, how was the recovery? My doctor told me two weeks, does anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawndee View Post
Hi There,

I was recently diagnosed with a Hurthle cells in my left thyroid lobe. My doctor recommended me to get my left lobe removed because of the risk of cancer. I read that you were going to get the surger done, how was the recovery? My doctor told me two weeks, does anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks
the recovery wasn't bad at all. I was back to work in a week.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
(female)

Dawndee HB User

Thank you so much for responding!!! How do you feel now, have you had any other thyroid issues since the surgery?

Closed Thread