It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

teko2000 HB User
synthroid and when to drink coffee

Hi guys,
Just wondering if after taking my synthroid i can atleast drink my morning coffee? I've been waiting about 15 minutes. I know your not suppose to eat but what about drinking coffee?
Thanks Teko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Re: synthroid and when to drink coffee

My doc said to wait an hour after taking the meds to drink/eat anything.. I've seen people on here that say they wait half an hour, but wait an hour or two to have any calcium..

15 minutes might be pushing it, I'd say to at least wait half an hour to give your body a chance to absorb your meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

The waiting to eat an drink anything is a must in order for the med to work effectively. Therefore, when I began my synthroid, I found that ti worked well for me to take mine at night, just as I went to bed, so I wasn't eating and drinking. Had asked my doc if that was okay and it was. Have you considered that bedtime might work better?

Old 04-25-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I wait for a half hour before having coffee with nondairy creamer, and a full hour to eat. It's working just fine for me. Consistency is key. You theoretically even could eat immediately, but you'd have to do it every day consistently, and you may need a higher dose in that case as well. But it can work.
I often have milk on my breakfast cereal... still no problem for me.
My biggest "rule" is to avoid calcium in supplement form for at least 6 hours.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:21 PM   #5

fromos5 HB User

I drink mine right away, probably within 15 mins. Never had a prob with that. Then I eat breakfast when I get to work, which is about an hour and a half later.

Hashi 16+ years / Partial Thyroidectomy 1989
Type 1 Diabetes (autoimmune, insulin-dep.)

Old 04-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User

FWIW, II wash mine down with coffee, but wait 45 minutes to an hour to eat breakfast. As midwest said, consistency is the key. Iíve been doing this for more than 2 years now.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #7

diatron HB User

I drink my coffee black and have it within 10 minutes of taking my thyroid meds. No problems for me with that. On weekends I take my meds when I wake up at the normal time (4:30), go back to sleep, and have coffee at 7 when I get up. I don't notice any difference in how I feel.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
(female)

ashleyexacto HB User

i have been on synthroid & cytomel for just over five years now (the same dose). i happen to work at a coffee shop, as well, the 5am shift. so, i wake up every morning and drink coffee almost immediatly after i take my meds.

i've never had any problems with this & my endo says it's not an issue. as long as you take your pills around the same time every day, they should be effective.

Last edited by ashleyexacto; 05-05-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Closed Thread