It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

mistymoo HB User
ultrasound and normal size of thyroid gland

Could someone tell me what the 'normal' size of a thyroid gland is? I'm trying to make sense of my ultrasound report. Here's the info if anyone knows what this all means. Thanks!

right gland measures 23.3 by 30.1 by 67.3 mm
left gland measures 24.0 by 28.2 by 66.7 mm

"both glands reveal a diffusely nodular appearance compatible with multinodular enlarged thyroid. No dominant masses seen. "

Impression: "Evidence for extensive multinodular goiter."

The Following User Says Thank You to mistymoo For This Useful Post:
arslanberki (06-23-2012)
Old 04-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: ultrasound and normal size of thyroid gland

I can tell you in cm not mm, if you have trouble with conversions, there are conversion charts on the web. Normal is no more than 3 to 4 cm in height, 1 to 1.5 cm in width and 2 to 3 mm in depth. Yours is not "normal size". It states you have a multinodular goiter. Goiter is a good clue to mean enlarged. The fact that no dominate masses are seen is great news! The fact that there are many of them is also good news, as thyroid cancer "usually" appears as a single solitary nodule. While that is not conclusive, it is the "Norm". That said we do have a few poster's here with thyroid cancer and they have 2 or 3 large nodules. So it can happen. Its the fact that you seem to have many and none are dominate, that is a good sign. What the Endo will do about it remains to be seen but usually they order ultrasounds every 6 months to a year and then compare (always go to same radiologist as results vary as to measurements from clinic to clinic)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

mistymoo HB User

Thanks so much Benzi! Comparing cm to mm is just a multiple of 10 I think. Wish they'd stuck height, width, and depth on their number. lol. The big one is the 6.7 then. Wonder if that'd be depth? That might explain my breathlessness climbing stairs...

Thanks for the advice to go to the same radiologist. I hadn't thought about their measurements being different.

2 more weeks until endo appt. I told my dh that I'm trying hard not to put a lot of hope into it so I don't expect too much. I just want to feel good again. I feel like I'm really jipping my children with my lack of energy and enthusiasm though. *sigh*

Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I got a pretty big one too:

Mine measured:

Right Lobe: 5.3 x 2.2 x 1.9 cm

Left Lobe: 5.6 x 2.3 x 1.8 cm

Heterogenous enlargement seen with multinodular goiter and thyroiditis.

The thyroid looks like a butterfly and if you picture one of the wings, the largest number I believe is up and down. The next larger number is across side to side and the next smallest number I believe is front to back (depth).

Last edited by nastyhashi; 04-25-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

mistymoo HB User

Thanks Hashi, that sure helps. :-) So I guess mine is mainly taller than it should be. lol. If I go with the smallest number, or even the medium one, it seems to be okay in depth. Probably why it's not really visible, but you can definitely feel it.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
(female)

storms_refuge HB User

[QUOTE=Benzi]I can tell you in cm not mm, if you have trouble with conversions, there are conversion charts on the web. Normal is no more than 3 to 4 cm in height, 1 to 1.5 cm in width and 2 to 3 mm in depth.

When you said 2-3 mm in deapth, did you mean mm or cm? I have wondered about normal sizes too. So if you meant 3mm, that would be 0.3 cm? None of my measurments were even close to that small, so I just wondered.
Thanks.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

10 millimeters = 1 centimeter
2 millimeters = 0.2 centimeters

Here's more useful info regarding sizes and weights and volumes.....

The size of each lobe is measured in the sagittal and transverse planes to provide the length (L), anterior-posterior depth (D), and transverse width (W), respectively. The volume of each lobe is calculated using the formula for a prollate ellipse: (Vol.= 0.5 [L x D x W] ).

The thyroid gland is slightly more echo-dense than the adjacent structures because of its iodine content. It has a homogenous ground glass appearance.

Each lobe has a smooth globular-shaped contour and is no more than 3 - 4 centimeters in height, 1 - 1.5 cm in width, and 1 centimeter in depth. The isthmus is identified, anterior to the trachea as a uniform structure that is approximately 0.5 cm in height and 2 - 3 mm in depth.

The pyramidal lobe is not seen unless it is significantly enlarged. In the female, the upper pole of each thyroid lobe may be seen at the level of the thyroid cartilage, lower in the male. The surrounding muscles are of lower echogenicity than the thyroid and tissue planes between muscles are usually identifiable.

I guess my volume would then be (Vol.= 0.5 [L x D x W]:
Right Lobe: 5.3 x 2.2 x 1.9 cm = 11.07
Left Lobe: 5.6 x 2.3 x 1.8 cm = 11.59

Total Thyroid Volume = 22.66 but Im not sure what its weighed in? Is that ML? I think they use the above formula to figure out your dose of I134 RAI based on your thyroid weight before they nuke your thyroid if need be.

I found more on actual volumes:

In 257 non-smokers the mean value of the right thyroid lobe volume and the left thyroid lobe volume were 7.97 ± 5.27 ml and 6,94 ± 4.82 ml respectively, whereas they were found to be 8.68 ± 5.97 ml and 7.03 ± 3.05 ml respectively in 243 smokers. Thyroid gland volume was higher in male and female smokers than in non-smokers (p > 0.05).

Thyroid Volume(ml).

Female smoker 15.25 ± 9.41 *
Female Non-smoker 14.55 ± 8.52 *
Male smoker 16.13 ± 9.00 *
Male Non-smoker 15.38 ± 8.61 *

Last edited by nastyhashi; 04-26-2005 at 04:27 AM.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Storms yes I really did mean mm, I know that makes hers pretty thick. Its no wonder some with Hashi's and Graves have so much trouble swallowing ect.... I got a couple lymph nodes taking up the space where my Thyroid used to be and I can really feel it. I don't know how you all take that swollen feeling all the time! Thanks Hashi for the report. I had seen part of it, but not the smokers section and its interesting to note that there is a constant difference in size between smokers and non smokers. Thanks also for the conversions. You all know me, I hate math and conversions, LOL. Thats why I don't even try to read labs. I do just fine with words but you throw a few numbers in and my brains shut down. hehe!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

cturn27 HB User

My ultrasound showed that my thyroid measures

right lobe 5.2 x 2.1 x 1.6
left lobe 5.6 x 2.0 x 1.6

right lobe are two regular hypoechoic lesions with partially calcified nodules. The largest is 15mm, 8mm. The left lobe is a thrid nodule 10mm.

I don't know much about all of this, but I do know that I do have this choking feeling, hard time swallowing. It feels like someone has punched me in the throat. Could this be causing it? My antibodies were high, normal is less than 2 mine were above 70. I have so many hypo symptoms but my TSH and T4 free were in the normal range, so the endo doesn't want to put me on meds. I hate having this feeling, anybody with suggestions?

Old 04-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I strongly suggest an FNA of the "lesions". All of them are large enough to be biopsied by a good Dr. Have they suggested that? If these nodules are what is causing the choking sensation then you can't just keep living like that! If its the size of the gland itself causing the choking (could be) medication might help! Still I would want an FNA because of the calcifications.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
(female)

cturn27 HB User

What exactly is an FNA? I have heard other people talk about them.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

"Fine Needle Aspiration"

Its a biopsy...they take a tiny needle and stick you a few times into your thyroid to get some cells and test them to see what's wrong with your gland. Not as bad as it sounds....its a tiny little needle and you only feel a pinch.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
(female)

mistymoo HB User

Benzi-Oh! I misread the mm on the depth of the gland. Gee, I guess mine is bigger than I thought. :-(

Hashi-thanks for the info on the thyroid gland. I haven't been able to find anything.

cturn27-your antibody count is the same as mine. I don't see the endo for 2 more weeks, so not sure if they will put me on meds or what.

Another question: My neck gets stiff pretty easily, which I attributed to sleeping wrong or something. Could it be from the goiter?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
(female)

cturn27 HB User

I have a lot of neck pain. Never really stiff, but I don't know much as it is. I'm not supposed to go back to my endo for a year. I guess that's why I'm worried. I don't want things to get worse. I have put a call to his office but have not heard back yet. This weight gain is a big thing also (gained 45 lbs this past year). Every time i try to diet and exercise I gain a few more. I am one of those people who run around in 90 degree weather with sweats on and still cold. This is all just ridiculous to me. What else could be causing all this?

Old 04-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
(female)

mistymoo HB User

Ugh! I TOTALLY understand about the weight gain! I've gained 35#. What's so shocking is that 20# of it has been in the last 2 months! That's GOT to be abnormal. I haven't done anything different.

Gee, I'd think they'd want to see you before a year. :-( How disheartening.

On the being cold...from what I've seen on the list...that's pretty common with hypothyroid.

Do you find that you have a real hard time wearing anything around your neck? I didn't wear ANY of my turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks this past winter and even high necked tshirts bother me. :-( Kind of cut my wardrobe down a bit. lol

Well, we'll get through this. We'll just stick together and ride the storm.

Closed Thread