It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 03:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
I am Allergic to Armour

hey guys I have been on 21/2 grains of armour for some months now and have kept increasing, and for some reason I have been getting more swollen each time with armour, I even have a small puffy sac on top of my left eye, and now my right eye is very puffy, and I have swelling all over, even on my lips, also my vision has been horrible, I never had eye problems and now my eyes feel very dry and I am having a hard time reading through my emails, not sure why the eyes are affected so much by the armour thyroid

and the chest pains dont go away, i went to see a top doc and she suggested I stay on armour, since its such a miraculous drug for some, but i coudl tell you it hasnt been that great for me, I have soem sort of allergy to this since I never had such bad swelling whiel being on synthroid, Oh I also have numbing all over and bad circulation problems which has worsen 100% after upping my dosage, my lips/eyes have gotten so swollen that mom also noticed and mentioned it to me.

I came to a conclusion that armour is not right for me I have decided to start taking 200 mcg of synthroid, also the chest pains on armour are getting horrible, and I have been very short of breath lately.

and the swelling worsens by the day, anyway do you guys have any suggestion as to what supplements I should take? I have been taking zinc sometimes and poitassium, but i need to start taking supplements and vitamisn on a daily basis which would you guys recommend?

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-28-2005 at 03:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: I am Allergic to Armour

There are some people that cannot take Armour. You might just be one of them.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:08 AM   #3

diatron HB User

Sounds like you are making the right decision for you to switch to another thyroid medication. If I had your symptoms I wouldn't take Armour either.

The thyroid medications are supposed to make you feel better, not worse! I hope the Synthroid works for you. If you have a reaction to that one too, there are several others with different binders, fillers and dyes (or lack thereof) that you can try to get the best thyroid medication for you--one that makes your symptoms go away!

Old 04-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I am taking the thyroid that is compounded. Pharmacy explained that it was comparable to Armour except they had taken out all the substances that you are likely to be allergic to. I sure hate to see you go on synthroid since so many have had such a bad experience with it.......unless you have taken it before.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all, and Yes diatron I think i am making the rigth decision, some people tell me to wait longer to see if it helps, but I give up on this armour, its just not for me, I mean I sure dont feel well and This numbing all over that I am still having is worrying me so much, I will go get blood tests done today because I am not sure if armour has messed up my levels again. i am pretty sure i am severly allergic to armour, anyway I started my synthroid, I am going to take 200 mcg /day i hope it helps, soemone told me that synthroid stops working after 5 years if you had rai? do you guys know if its true, I was thinking of maybe taking cytomel too?to get the T3. By teh way I have taken synthroid in the past and it has made me feell tired but took teh swelling away, and at least I know I wont get these funky side effects I am getting with armour.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

To be honest with you I have been having a freaky heartbeat while on Armour so I switched over to levoxyl to see if there is any difference. People that have MVP or heart problems can't handle the t3.

I am thinking that may be my problem. Could have an MVP because I had Graves disease for quite a long time and hypo for a long time. That puts a big strain on the heart.

I did have an EKG and everything was fine but it doesn't tell you the whole story. So, I will just experiment a little.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, have you noticed a difference in the levoxyl? anyway a few people keep insisting that i continue the armour, but like you said its too much on the heart. teh funny thing is that people insist I continue this medicine they swear its going to help me, but I dont know, I guess i shouldnt sop it all at once, but I really think I should get off the armour, maybe I can take 1/2 grain so my body could start getting used to not getting teh armour what do you think? did you stop cold turkey?

Old 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I started taking 100mcgs of levoxyl yesterday. For now my heart is not skipping the beats so bad. It might take a few days to find out.

Maybe you could try it for a week or so and see if there is any differentence. One grain of Armour will equal 100mcgs. of t4.

There are some people that do well on Armour and some don't. The only problem I have is the skipping heartbeats or PVCs.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh ok so your recently started levoxyl, I guess you wont know for a few weeks if its helping you, but as for me I took 100 mcg of synthroid last night and again 100 mcg today, will try to take 200mcg for now and see what happens. i also dont get much chest pains with synthroid, maybe once ina whiel but not on a daily basis, it gets so bad that i go to sleep and i sometimes am not sure if i will die in my sleep, thats how bad its been.

Closed Thread