It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

linda115 HB User
Thyroid and nails

Does anyone know what's the relationship between thyroid disorders and nails? My two thumbs have a moon crescent but none in the other nails.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

kiya HB User
Re: Thyroid and nails

I haven't a clue what the exact connection is between thyroid and nails, but I know there is one. My podiatrist suggested I had thyroid problems when he saw the ridges across my toenails. Nails in general are a good indicator of health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

tabtools HB User

A moon crescent is normal, and desired.

If I don't get enough thyroid hormone my nails will break easily, and split.

Before my hypothyroidism was diagnosed, my thumbnail would split right down to the base.

If someone finds their nails growing unusually fast and are very strong, sometimes that's a sign of hyperthyroidism.
Yet hyperthyroid nails can become brittle.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

pete0303 HB User

Before starting on 2 grains of westhroid a day, my nails flaked off in layers and i had no moon cresents.They are beginning to grow now and i have moon cresents now in all but my pinky fingernail.How very strange It seems to me that this thyroid deal should be obvious to the doctors but for me it has been a constant struggle and a lot of different doctors just to get treatment.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

linda115 HB User

I find this subject very interesting. I am Chinese and I know Chinese Herbalists always check our nails. Don't know what they are checking though. For now, I have moon crescent on both thumbs. Had one side thyroid removed in Feb. Hopefully moon crescent will show up on the other eight nails in the future.

Thanks for sharing your info.
Linda

Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
(female)

kiya HB User

I haven't got a moon crescent on any of my nails. Is that odd?

Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

A local naturopathic doc told me that the vertical lines on my nails meant that my digestive system is weak. Go figure.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Here's some info from [url]www.lef.org[/url] about nails and health

When nails do not grow properly or have abnormalities, the cause is often a nutritional deficiency stemming from an unbalanced diet, digestive problems, absorption problems, or eating disorders. The following list includes nutritional factors affecting the nails when there is a lack of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements in the diet.

* A lack of vitamin A and calcium causes dryness and brittleness.
* A vitamin B deficiency causes fragility of the horizontal and vertical ridges in the nail.
* A vitamin B12 deficiency leads to rounded and curved nails.
* A lack of protein, folic acid, and/or vitamin C causes hangnails.
* A lack of "friendly bacteria" (Lactobacillus sp.) leads to fungus under and around the nails.
* A deficiency of hydrochloric acid contributes to splitting nails.
* Low iron may cause concave or "spoon" nails and/or vertical ridges (see Iron Deficiency).

Iron Deficiency
Iron deficiency anemia affects 20% of women, 50% of pregnant women, and 3% of men. It can be caused by too little iron in the diet, poor bodily absorption of iron, heavy menstrual bleeding, or other loss of blood. In addition to pregnant or lactating women, children in rapid growth stages have an increased requirement for iron. People with a diet consisting of little or no meat or eggs for a sustained period may also suffer from iron deficiency. Symptoms of anemia are pallor, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, decreased appetite, and brittle nails. Iron deficiency anemia can also cause a condition called koilonychia in which the fingernail is thin and concave, and has raised ridges. If these symptoms are present, dietary iron supplements should be taken.

Have a blood test to measure ferritin levels in order to ensure that supplementing with iron is necessary prior to taking any iron supplements.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Do you think it may have to do with the lack of calcium going to the fingernails? Beats me

Old 05-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
(female)

uconn HB User

[url]http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/338[/url]
Fingernail Diagnostics

Old 05-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
(female)

linda115 HB User

Thank you uconn.

Here are the nail conditions that relate to thyroid disease (from the above link):

SPOON-SHAPED NAILS

Iron deficiency; thyroid disease

LONGITUDINAL RIDGES
Aging, poor absorption of vitamins and minerals; thyroid disease; kidney failure

OVERLARGE MOONS
Overactive thyroid; genetics; self-induced trauma (habit tick)

NO MOONS
Underactive thyroid; genetics

Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Ahhh!!! thanks. I have no moons but they are sneaking back in a little bit. That must mean the recovery process is taking place from hypo to normal

Old 05-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
(female)

linda115 HB User

YEP... and I have two out of ten. It's a start...

Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
(female)

kiya HB User

Yeah, I've got small half-moons on my thumbs, but otherwise nothing. Also quite marked longitundinal ridges on my fingernails (especially on my little fingers). Studying fingernails/toenails could become quite obsessive!!!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:49 AM   #15
(female)

linda115 HB User

Since we can only get test results once or twice a year to monitor our thyroid, the least we can do for ourselves is to monitor our nails, and basal temperature too. By the way, I have those longitudinal ridges on all my nails too. Wonder if they will go away.

More power to the nails!

Closed Thread