It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
(male)

pim4life HB User
maximum dosage of synthroid

what is the maximum dosage of synthroid a person can take..and has anyone heard of the institute in maryland for throids...........
also....my girlfreinds doctor told her that the only 2 alternatives are to remove her thyroid or to keep on increasing her meds and if the meds dont work to go maryland for a synthroid drip...or have a surgeon remove the thryoid...she is hypo and her body does not absorb the medicine ..

Old 05-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #2

diatron HB User
Re: maximum dosage of synthroid

I don't know what a maximum dose is, but my doctor mentioned that she knew a patient that was taking 500 mcg of T4. That would put most people into hyperland, but obviously that's what worked well for that patient.

Sorry, I don't have any information to offer on your other questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
(male)

je46324 HB User

Everybody has there own abvsorbtion rate whan it comes to meds. Has she checked to see how much is getting into her blood. It is not uncommon to have a digestive disorder and although you are talking a lot of medications very litle can be makeing it into the blood stream. If you coulde throw some numbers at me it might help.

Eric

Old 05-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

I have a friend who's mother was on a pretty high dose of T4 (200 +) and she saw a doc who put her on a strict regimen of acidophilus for one month and this clean out her bowels and as a result her dose was reduced dramatically to about 75 mcg.

From what I've learned, there are a number of factors that affect the dose:

1- weight
2- other hormones like estrogen
3- poor absorption (such as my example above)
4- very stressful life (stress is really bad for thyroid disease)
5- other

Rachel.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Maybe this explains why I was on 175mg of synthroid for awhile. I was doing real well for quite awhile---and then I went hyper without warning. I wonder if thyroid disease will ever be treated kind of like diabetes---where the patient monitors themselves and takes the dose that makes them feel best.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

My mom take 300mgs of Synthroid. She was on 150 for awhile. When she complained to the doctor that she was still tired he doubled the amount without checking her blood. I told my mom that was a hugh increase and she just said her doctor knows best. He only checks the TSH so who knows how her free t's are doing.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Supraphysiologic Dosing

There is a fairly rare (and debatable) condition, known as thyroid hormone resistance, where supposedly the cells do not adequately take up the hormone. Sometimes these individuals are treated w/"supraphysiological doses" of T4, that is, more than what the body would produce under normal circumstances.

This concept may be similar to that of "insulin resistance," except that IR is generally accepted by the allopathic med community, while THR is not.

John Lowe has written extensively on his theory that fibromyalgia is due to metabolic & endocrine disorders, of which THR is one. He has another book due out next month entitled "Speeding up to Normal." I believe he also sometimes uses supraphys. dosing for fibromyalgia.

There have been published studies, mostly European, of the successful use of supraphysiologic dosing of T4 for individuals suffering from depression and bipolar disorder that is refractory to treatment with standard meds. Some of these individuals had fairly normal blood tests; most tolerated the treatment well & did not show the usual signs of hyperthyroidism. Perhaps they suffered a type of THR as well.

It is important to note that what I have described above are cases which are atypical from the "usual" hypothyroid presentation. Medical supervision is a must for increased dosages of TH. Physical harm can arise from a dosage that is too high for one's unique physiology.

An example of this is a local psychiatrist who found that he had better patient response to psych meds with extra T3 & T4 added to the regimen. Many people needed less of the psych meds, and hence suffered fewer side effects. Many people had a return of functionality that had been lost for decades. The doc used low/normal type doses, but note that not all individuals were hypoT by standard testing. He helped many people, but along the way encountered an one person who had a severe adverse reaction, enough to convince the doc that "it was not worth it, " even though many were helped.

I realize most of you here on this board won't relate to this info, but it's interesting ...

Old 05-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
(male)

je46324 HB User
Re: Supraphysiologic Dosing

Well elmhar I must admit I am quite impressed with your response. Resistance is a possibility but highly unlikely, at least as of right now. But this is a interesting case none the less.

Eric

Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossette2
I have a friend who's mother was on a pretty high dose of T4 (200 +) and she saw a doc who put her on a strict regimen of acidophilus for one month and this clean out her bowels and as a result her dose was reduced dramatically to about 75 mcg.

From what I've learned, there are a number of factors that affect the dose:

1- weight
2- other hormones like estrogen
3- poor absorption (such as my example above)
4- very stressful life (stress is really bad for thyroid disease)
5- other

Rachel.
5- other -- the weather!! in the summer i have to take far less synthroid than in the winter ...

6- other drugs, like anticonvulsants or daily use of tylenol ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 05-08-2005 at 11:40 PM. Reason: to ad a point

Closed Thread