It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
thyroidectomy/depression/mood

Can anyone tell me if having a thyroidectomy cured depression and mood swings??
Thanks!
Kathy

Old 05-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: thyroidectomy/depression/mood

Thyroidectomy can cause hypothyroidism. Symptoms of hypothyroid are mood swings and depression. Cured? I dont know about that. If you were hypoer before it might help the symptoms you had.

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

According to a recent study, an autoimmune thyroid condition may hinder the recovery of some people with depression. While levels of throid function indicators FT3, FT4, and TSH were within normal ranges---some of the people with depression appeared to have increaded levles of thyroid binding inhibitroy immunoglobins in their blood.
High levels of these immunoglobins can inhibit thyroid gland function.
Althoug thyroid gland dysfunction is not common in depression, there is evidence suggesting the presence of an underlying autoimmune process affecting the thyroid gland in depressive patients according to the study authors. The finding that depression often co-exists with autoimmune sublincical thyroiditis suggests that depression may cause alterations in the immune system, or that, in fact, it is an autoimmune disorder itself.
People in the study were reassessed two years after their initial examination and found that their responsiveness to treatment was associated with levels of thyroid hormone and thyroid binding inhibitory immunoglobin in their blood.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

hello Kathy
A thyroidectomy won't cure depression or mood swings. But! What I found was that after a total thyroidectomy, my depression was a lot easier to control, since I didn't have the hinderance of a broken down thyroid gland. I have also been dx'd with bipolar, so my experience will be different from yours.

Are you being considered for a thyroidectomy?

blue

Old 05-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
(female)

winstonsmom HB User

Hello

I had a total thyroidectomy 3-8-05. Initially, I felt so good, like I was Queen of the World and suddenly everything just crashed. I thought I needed more medicine--anything besides a "mood altering" drug or anti-depressants. I was so sure I needed some t3 and even vented on the board after seeing my PCP. Well, to be honest, after reading the replies and watching Brooke Shields on Oprah, it dawned on me, I need help. You know, what? YES I am depressed my TT did not cure it all. I'm on .125 of synthroid but I need something else. I am not myself. My house is a total mess, my patience is shot and my coworkers are suffering. I don't think it's fair to anyone to have to put up with me in the state that I'm in. I had the opportunity to meet with a new doctor and I told him..shame or no shame...I need some medicine for this depression/panic and however long it takes for me to get myself together, I am willing to take it. He prescribed Zoloft me and hopefully I'll notice a change soon. Anatomically, I am glad the thyroid isn't choking me anymore but mentally, I am in the pits. I'm not trying to discourage you but just like someone posted to my reply, if you need something to get you through, by all means, get it.

Closed Thread