It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
What is your Amour dose with or without Synthroid?

Hello everyone. I apologize if I have asked this before. For those of you taking Armour, what is your dose? Do you take it with Synthroid? Are you feeling well at the dose you are currently taking?

Thank you for your replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User
Re: What is your Amour dose with or without Synthroid?

On even days I take one 60mg pill a day (38mgc t4 and 9mcg t3) in halves with 135mcg of synthetic t4. On odd days I take 1/2 a 60mg pill of armour and 175mcg of synthetic t4.

I'm a 200lb male. I used to take 3 60mg pills of armour a day. After about 3 months my t3 went nuts. I felt like one big hormone. Anything could give me an adrenaline rush. Caused brain fog too and garbled speech. About the only good thing was libido--horny as a goat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 AM   #3

diatron HB User

I am taking 3 grains (180 mg) of Armour and 75 mg of Levoxyl, most days. I am still getting adjusted and find I get a little anxious and sweat too much occasionally, so I cut back the Levoxyl to 62.5 mg for a day or so and those symptoms go away. I go for more blood tests in July, but I'm betting my labs will show I'm just about at the right level.

I am a 56 year old woman on HRT and weigh about 180 these days.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I take 2 grains of Armour with 50mgs of levoxyl. In the morning I take 1 grain of armour +25mg of levoxyl. I repeat this in the afternoon. All done sublingually.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
(female)

BethanyF HB User

I am taking 3 gr of Armour, 1 gr 3x a day. It seems to keep my energy level up but the other symptoms aren't going away yet. I am considering adding some synthroid.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
(female)

KarenMorris HB User

I'm on 3 grains (180 mg) of Armour. I was switched from 175 mcg Levoxyl and 45 mg of Armour to 3 grains about 2 weeks ago. The first week, I felt wonderful, but I'm more tired this week. The first week was great! I wish I could feel like that all the time. I was losing weight and my eyebrows started growing back, as well as the hair on my temples.

I realize that first week of feeling great is just from the leftover T4 in my system. Luckily, I have a doctor now who cares about how I feel, not what my labs look like. So I'm hoping he will adjust it when I got in in 3 weeks.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for your replies, they are very informative. It seems many of you are on two to three grains of Armour.

To abigchocoholic, I am sorry you had to give up that side effect!! Diatron, I hope you have found your optimum dose. Lady 50, I am so glad you guys posted about taking the pills sublingually, it is so much better. Bethany, I hope adding the Synthroid will help. Karen, I hope you feel better soon. It is good you have a doctor who does not rely solely on test results.

I started on the Armour/Synthroid combo at the end of January. My doctor has been increasing the Armour slowly. Recently I have been taking .05 mg Synthroid once daily and 30 mg of Armour twice daily. The Armour had been increased from 15 mg twice daily to 30 mg twice daily. When it was initially increased from 15 to 30 mg, I was taking four Armour pills a day (15 mg). Once I was on the higher dose, I was given the 30 mg pills to take twice daily. In my brain-dead state, I thought I was supposed to take two pills of the 30 mg Armour twice a day.

I have been taking four 30 mg tabs daily, 2 grains, for three weeks now. The mistake was discovered when I needed to renew my prescription. I feel better on the 2 grains than I did the 1 grain. I don't want to go back down.
I have an appointment for blood work next Thursday. I want to continue this dose at least until then, which I think would be better for accurate blood work. I am not having any hyper symtoms and am still having some hypo symptoms. I am afraid the doctor will cut the dose back and I will feel worse again. I guess I have to wait until the blood work is back.

It would be so nice if things were not so complicated! What are the chances of the doctor not relying solely on the blood work if it looks okay?

Old 06-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Good luck! I'm starting to try and adjust things just a bit---I'm not feeling like I have in the past---and I'm wondering if my body is just trying to overcome the extreme low doses they put me on.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi shellshocked. I believe I read here that too low of a dose can make you feel worse.

It sure would be nice if it was easier to regulate these meds.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

I'm on half a grain of Armour and I must say I'm not doing so great. I started on 15mg back in February.

This coming monday I go back to the doctor to probably get an increase - I'm hoping for a full grain. 15mg increases don't seem to be doing much at all.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Irys I hope that you do get an increase. You have been on a very small dose for quite a long time.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

I know it! I'm tired of it

I do feel "different" but not necessarily much better.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I take 100 mcg Levoxyl with 30 mg of Armour every morning.
In the afternoon I take 60 mg or Armour.

I am retaining fluid and gaining weight again - puffy face and hands. Some leg cramps, but I feel better in the afternoon than I do in the mornings. He just recently incrased my Levoxyl on my suggestion - and I think I'm okay on the Armour. This time I think I need more T4. I get puffy when I don't get enough.

Best wishes to you.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SarahF, when do you get leg cramps? I get them during the night when I am sleeping.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
(female)

BamaC HB User

I take 120mg. Armour in a.m. I love this stuff. Feel better than I have in years. In March, TSH was 63.7, and dr. started me on 60mg. Armour. Re-tested in May and TSH was 20, so was put on 120 mg. The only symptoms I ever noticed before I began treatment were fatigue(with a capital F) and dry skin. Oh, and no moons on my finger nails. The only things I dislike about taking Armour are those nasty little fights with the dr.

Closed Thread