It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #1

soccerspeed HB User
Exclamation weight gain, HELP

well, i've been gaining more and more weight. i need help. i just bought some generic armour and i took 6 grains yesterday and 2 today so far (this was after self medicating with thyroxine free cow thyroids for 2 months and getting worse).

i don't have an appointment until october with my new endo.

i'm losing it (my mind, not weight!).

can i be resistent to thyroid medications? i've also abused cytomel and synthroid last month, having taken a half bottle of cytomel at a time in a moment of real depression. i'm totally HYPO except for a racing heart...i have severe brain fog, constipation, hair loss, weight GAIN, edema, etc.

also, my chest went from a B cup to a DD cup since the beginning of may...is that related?

will i ever get better? what happens if i am resistent? THANK YOU for any help!

Last edited by soccerspeed; 06-02-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
(male)

diddy HB User
Re: weight gain, HELP

Well, you should not be mixing thyroid medications, especially if you're not taking them as directed. Not sure, but I think some thyroid meds may not mix well with depression meds, or your hormones are way off. Maybe someone else can help you there? Also, are you watching your diet? It might be prudent to do so at least until you get straightened out lab-wise.

I had my thyroid removed about 10 days ago, and have put myself on a strict diet for at least a month until my synthroid dosage gets up. I've also been exercising as well. So far, I've put on no weight. Lessen your carb intake and cut down on calories to 1200-1500 a day and you should NOT be gaining any weight, unless your metabolism is 0.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Regulating your thyroid takes a LONG TIME. A month's time isn't enough to really determine if you're resistant to the medicine.

Self medicating can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing - and honestly, by the sounds of it - I'm worried you don't.

You need to monitor your TSH, FT4, and FT3 levels while you're on medication, otherwise you're popping pills blindly. Yes symptoms are important, BUT, you also need to know what they started out at before you went on medicine. You need a baseline.

My doc is testing my blood every 6 weeks. It takes that long for your body to adjust to a new dose of medicine.

I'd recommend stopping your medicine for at least a month, then getting a thyroid panel done so you have some idea what you're dealing with. See a different doc if you can't wait until October.

You can do some real damage here, please don't abuse the drugs, they won't help you loose weight like that.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

People have died from thyroid medication abuse. Six grains of Armour is a gigantic amount. So is "half a bottle" of Cytomel.
You seem to have more problems than just your thyroid. I hope you can get a handle on them before something terrible happens to you.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 PM   #5

soccerspeed HB User

thanks for the replies. i know all the self medicating is retarded.

i have been watching my diet. 1000 calories a day, and also i run 10+ miles a day, and am a bicycle commuter. this is why i'm worried.

i will get off all meds for a while. last labs (end of march) showed my levels as only a tad better pre treatment, although i had felt better for a while on a synthroid and cytomel combo. my doc is an idiot, and that's why i got a new one.

should i stop taking the supplements also? how about selenium and iodine?

Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Get yourself a good multi-vitamin and stick to that.

1000 calories a day is quite low if you're exercising that much. I'd bet your body is holding onto everything you're eating. Your body needs fuel to function if you're burning that much. Try upping your caloric intake and see what happens. It will likely help. Or better yet, see if you can go see a nutritionist.

A friend of mine tried eating only about 1000 calories a day, and she was gaining weight too - she didn't exercise like you, but her nutritionist bumped her caloric intake up to... 1800 I believe, and she's down 7.5 inches in about 3 weeks.

Last edited by irys; 06-02-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #7

soccerspeed HB User

irys,

good for your friend!! can i ask: is she hypo?

i was eating around 2500-3500 calories per day before i started to feel all hypo nasty again, and had completely lost the original thyroid weight gain. then i put on 20 lbs in 2 weeks, and it's been climbing about 1/4 to 1 lb per day since then on a reduced calorie diet.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

She's not hypo no..

Maybe try 1800-2000 for a week or two and see if that helps?

Old 06-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #9

soccerspeed HB User

irys,

thanks, i might try it. do you know how long it takes for weight gain or weight loss to show from new habits? like, if i try that this week, do you think next week the results would show? thanks

Old 06-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
(male)

diddy HB User

If you're running 10 miles a day, you need ALOT more than 1000 calories. You're basically getting negative calorie intake and your body feels like it's in starvation mode. Often times you need to eat MORE, 5 small meals, spread out, to lose weight. Get your a$$ to the endo and get your lab work done to see where your numbers really are. Then try and get on a dose and do not alter it. Your body needs to adjust to the replacement hormone, you screwing around changing doses and different brands cannot be good.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Honey, you really need to relax.

Baxed on what you've said in this thread I'm guessing your body is REALLY stressed out with all the meds you've been pumping into it, and how little you've been eating. I'm not suprised you're gaining weight.

It takes time, and you have got to be patient.

Everyone is different, you might see a small change by next week - it might take longer because of what your body has been through latley. Give it time. It took longer than a week for you to feel crummy right? It's going to take just as long, if not longer for you to get back to normal.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #12

soccerspeed HB User

thank you so much irys and diddy. i just feel so hopeless right now. i have never felt this bad in my life. i'm sorry for whining and thank you for listening to me and offering the suggestions.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
(male)

diddy HB User

More advice:

Cut out soda, cookies, french fries, and pizza.

Eat 5 "spread out" 300 calorie meals a day that do not consist of these things, and not only shouldnt you gain weight, you should be losing it.

Hell, you can go to Subway and eat a Chicken Teriyaki 6 inch sub and it's only 350 calories. Just don't add bacon, a soda or chips to it. Crystal lite or Diet Sprite tastes good to me.

I've gone hypo after my surgery of 12 days ago, but have been eating grilled chicken, no-calorie fruit drinks, sugar free popsicles, oatmeal, fruit and vegetables, and I'm losing weight, not gaining, despite being hypo. I still pig out on sugar-free popsicles and no-calorie drinks so I get the sweets I need, and feel full at the same time, but I'm not taking in the calories in the process. Eat 5 smart, small to medium sized meals, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #14

soccerspeed HB User

ok, thanks diddy.

i've been a vegetarian since i was 9, so the no burgers thing shouldnt be a problem

pretty much all i eat now is carrots and lettuce. i've been a rabbit!

glad to hear you're losing!

also, diddy: what time is your first meal? your last? low carb? do you exercise, if so do you eat before you do?

danka!

Last edited by soccerspeed; 06-06-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Closed Thread